Windows 10: problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in

Discus and support problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I plug in my 2TB WD "My Passport" USB portable drive, a pop-up is always shown saying "Problem with USB Drive....." When I click on the bubble... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Artoo Smith, Apr 6, 2019.

1. problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in

When I plug in my 2TB WD "My Passport" USB portable drive, a pop-up is always shown saying "Problem with USB Drive....." When I click on the bubble to scan the drive, no errors are found. The next time I plug that drive into the same USB port, the pop-up is shown again and I scan the drive again and again no problems are found.

Is there a reason why when that particular drive is pluged into the same USB port, Windows keeps asking to scan the drive?

:)

Artoo Smith, Apr 6, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Apr 6, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Axtremex Unveils MicroSSD Portable USB 3.0 Drive

Axtremex Technology is pleased to announce a MicroSSD, the new portable high performance external solid state drive with USB 3.0 interface. The MicroSSD is designed in a small form factor that is lightweight, durable and convenient to carry and use. It offers blazing fast data transfer rates and achieves a read speed of up to 420 MB/s and Write speed of up to 400 MB/s.

The device draws power directly from the USB port and requires no external power cord. It is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports. The MicroSSD will be available in 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB capacities. 512 GB and 1 TB capacities are being planned.

problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in 167a_thm.jpg

The MicroSSD is ideal for:
    • Data Storage - Backing up or storing contents onto an external USB 3.0 SSD drive such as documents, videos, Music etc.. and many more.
    • Windows To Go Boot Disk - Allows Windows 8 to boot and run from the external USB 3.0 SSD drive on computers anywhere.
    Windows 8 Enterprise can be installed and boot from the Micro SSD drive on any PC or Mac. The device will ship with a "WTG Maker" that will allow users to install licensed Windows 8 Professional onto the drive. It is easy to setup and simply plug and play to use Windows 8 on any computers or Mac.

Key Features:
    • Carry-on to anywhere without PC and laptop.
    • Easy setup and Plug & Play to use windows 8 on any computer.
    • Fully compatible with MAC and Windows OS.
    • Best performance to use Windows To Go (windows 8) feature.
    • Safe, Strong, and Zinc material.
    • Lightweight and portable design ideal for home, office and travel.
    Specifications:
    • Capacity: 32 GB / 64 GB / 128 GB / 256 GB
    • Interface: USB 3.0, backwards compatible with USB 2.0
    • Transfer Rates: Seq. Read : up to 425 MB/s; Seq. Write : up to 400 MB/s.
    • Dimension: 38 x 73 x 9.5 mm (1.5 x 2.9 x 0.37 in.)
    • Weight: 58 g / 2.05 oz
    • Operating Temperature: 0~ 70°C (32~ 158°F)

btarunr, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in

Downloading files to a USB portable drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description flash drive is not working on your computer after upgrading to Windows 10.

The issue may arise if the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt or if your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB device and Windows. So, I would suggest you to try the following
    steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

• Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select
      device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click
      Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    • Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
    Method 2

The issue could be if the drivers are not updated or get corrupted. So, try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3

If issue persists try the steps provided to uninstall the USB device from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manger by clicking on Windows key + X and selecting
      Device manager from the list.
    • Expand the USB section.
    • Find the USB device.
    • Right click USB and select Uninstall.
    • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
    Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
    • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
    • Find the USB.
    • Right click USB driver and select Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
    Step 3:

Download and install the latest drivers for the USB from the manufacturer website

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in

1. problem with USB portable drive when it gets plugged in - Similar Threads - problem USB portable

2. USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...: Extra Info: This is the same for all ports. The same problem occurs to any portable device, not just the hard drive.I recently changed my power port because my laptop was not charging, only after i changed it did i notice the problem.I am using the DELL Inspiron 15 3000...
  3. USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Ports not working: The Portable Hard Drive lights up when its plugged in, however my...: Extra Info: This is the same for all ports. The same problem occurs to any portable device, not just the hard drive.I recently changed my power port because my laptop was not charging, only after i changed it did i notice the problem.I am using the DELL Inspiron 15 3000...
  4. WiFi Disconnect If When A Portable HDD Is Plugged In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi Disconnect If When A Portable HDD Is Plugged In: What happened:Every time I plugged my USB HDD to the PC, the WiFi disconnects and wouldn't reconnect again even if I turn on and off the WiFi from Windows AND unplug then plug in the WiFi module again until I unplug the HDD.My USB WiFi :...
  5. WiFi Disconnect If When A Portable HDD Is Plugged In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi Disconnect If When A Portable HDD Is Plugged In: What happened:Every time I plugged my USB HDD to the PC, the WiFi disconnects and wouldn't reconnect again even if I turn on and off the WiFi from Windows AND unplug then plug in the WiFi module again until I unplug the HDD.My USB WiFi :...
  6. portable hard drive to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  7. External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.: Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent. Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence updating chipsets, migrating, stuff...
  8. usb portable diskette drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb portable diskette drive: I would like to know why I am not able to load the driver for the usb portable diskette drive. I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-portable-diskette-drive/3b187512-2e68-4bf3-82c3-3923fe7aa6bc"
  9. USB Plug in Drives

USB Plug in Drives: I am having problems in getting an External DVD Drive recognised by my laptop that is running Windows 10 with 1803. When the laptop is operating and I plug in a Canon Camera SX730-HS the File Explorer immediately recognises the camera yet when I plug in the external DVD...
  10. No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.

No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.: When I plug in my USB flash drive or portable hard drive I don't get a window that pops up. Both drives will make a sound and show up in ThisPC so I have to go there to use them. Is there any way to fix this? 54378

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sabrent 4 port usb