Windows 10: Problem with USB sticks

Discus and support Problem with USB sticks in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried to format a USB stick. It finished formatting and was empty but the next time I looked I found a folder called SoundBlastBackup. I tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BSM#48, Jun 1, 2023.

1. BSM#48 Win User

Problem with USB sticks

I have tried to format a USB stick. It finished formatting and was empty but the next time I looked I found a folder called SoundBlastBackup. I tried to delete it but its permissions were held by System and nothing I could would let me get at the object.I gave up with that USB stick and tried another one. This had miscellaneous files on it so I went for a format again. Again it was clear but looking at it a couple of minutes later it had a folder SandBlastBackup on it. again I tried to delete it but System wouldn't let me near it.I now have 2 USB sticks with this folder on them and there's not

:)

BSM#48, Jun 1, 2023
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 1, 2023
  3. USB stick problem

I can't guarantee that it is the exact reason why your USB stick is having problem but that's one of the reasons why this issue happens. I suggest to always use the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" option in your system tray before unplugging your
    USB stick or any external drives. This issue happens to me in the past due to removing my external drive improperly and it cost me lot of time and effort to get it back up and running so by ejecting it properly might prevent the issue from happening.

Since the issue follows your USB stick on another computer, then the problem is from the USB stick itself and not the computer.

There are some ways to recover your files but that involves a 3rd-party program which is mostly paid application, but still it is not a guarantee that it will be able to retrieve your files. If the files are not that important, i suggest to continue with formatting
    your USB stick. If the issue stills occurs even after formatting, then most probably your USB stick is already faulty.

I hope these information helps.

Reinald T., Jun 1, 2023
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Problem with USB sticks

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

Problem with USB sticks 1554167845t-usb-stick-previously-used-boot-stick-killdisk-not-recognized-diskpart-clear-readonly.png

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, Jun 1, 2023
Thema:

Problem with USB sticks

1. Problem with USB sticks - Similar Threads - Problem USB sticks

2. Problem with USB sticks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with USB sticks: I have tried to format a USB stick. It finished formatting and was empty but the next time I looked I found a folder called SoundBlastBackup. I tried to delete it but its permissions were held by System and nothing I could would let me get at the object.I gave up with that...
  3. Problem with USB sticks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with USB sticks: I have tried to format a USB stick. It finished formatting and was empty but the next time I looked I found a folder called SoundBlastBackup. I tried to delete it but its permissions were held by System and nothing I could would let me get at the object.I gave up with that...
  4. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem deleting files from USB stick: Recently this process has slowed down or become impossible. Windows Explorer spends hours, even whole days, "deleting" files from a USB stick, slowing down other Explorer functions as a consequence...and then I may find that after all that wait, the selected files weren't...
  5. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem deleting files from USB stick: Recently this process has slowed down or become impossible. Windows Explorer spends hours, even whole days, "deleting" files from a USB stick, slowing down other Explorer functions as a consequence...and then I may find that after all that wait, the selected files weren't...
  6. Problem deleting files from USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. USB stick problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB stick problem: I am new to this so I will try to explain my problem as best as I can, I've been getting used to my new laptop that has windows 10 on it and so far I have been watching some movies a friend put on a USB stick and up until today it has worked but this morning I put the USB...
  8. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  9. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  10. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...