Windows 10: Problem with user profile file structure

Discus and support Problem with user profile file structure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In trying to move one of my libraries (Pictures), I have caused a major problem with my user folders. When I moved the Pictures library (using the Move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ubtree, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Ubtree Win User

Problem with user profile file structure

In trying to move one of my libraries (Pictures), I have caused a major problem with my user folders.
    When I moved the Pictures library (using the Move command on the Location tab of the folder's Properties), instead of finding it within the intended target folder, it seemed to have taken over the folder ie. the target folder within which I intended to store the library was now itself called "Pictures".

I next tried to move the folder back to c:\Users\MyName\, but this achieved a similar result: my user profile folder is now called c:\Users\Pictures; the usual folders are still present within it.

I checked on the location showing for "My Pictures" in the registry: it was %USERPROFILE%\. I changed it to %USERPROFILE%\Pictures , but this did not help.

As things currently stand:
    • In the c:\Users\ folder, instead of a folder called MyName (with a standard folder icon next to it), Windows Explorer shows a folder called "Pictures" (with the Pictures icon next to it). And within the folder are the usual user profile folders.
    • An application that is no longer functioning correctly is trying to access c:\Users\MyName\Pictures\AppData\Roaming\.....
    So it looks as though my user profiles are actually within a folder c:\Users\MyName\Pictures\ (instead of c:\Users\MyName\), although this is not what is being reported by Windows Explorer.

And to add the icing to the cake, I've discovered that System Protection is turned off (*Eek - not guilty!), and so I cannot go back to the last restore point!

Where do I go from here ???

:)

Ubtree, Jul 20, 2019
  2. Rose Ter Win User

migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Jul 20, 2019
  3. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Jul 20, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Problem with user profile file structure - Similar Threads - Problem user profile

2. File Structure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  3. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  4. User Profile migration problem

User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  5. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Corrupt user profile problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt user profile problems: Good evening,For the Windows 10 updates that took place in January 12 and January 28, 2022, I ended up with a corrupt user profile in both cases after restarting my computer. Has anyone encountered the same situation ? Any idea what might be causing this ? Can anyone...
  7. Corrupt user profile problems

Corrupt user profile problems: Good evening,For the Windows 10 updates that took place in January 12 and January 28, 2022, I ended up with a corrupt user profile in both cases after restarting my computer. Has anyone encountered the same situation ? Any idea what might be causing this ? Can anyone...
  8. Corrupt user profile problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Problem with User Profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with User Profile: Hello. So I wanted to reclaim some space on my SSD C:, so I tried Properties>Move on Downloads to D:. This led to my Downloads folder just holding the entire contents of D:. I tried to revert this change by the same process. What followed was Downloads having all the...
  10. Problem with user profile file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with user profile file structure: In trying to move one of my libraries (Pictures), I have caused a major problem with my user folders. When I moved the Pictures library (using the Move command on the Location tab of the folder's Properties), instead of finding it within the intended target folder, it seemed...