Windows 10: problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming

Discus and support problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 v1809 and my folder names that use special characters have changed. For example, if a folder was named "♫MyMusic" the ♫... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bromberg Win User

problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming

I upgraded to Windows 10 v1809 and my folder names that use special characters have changed.
    For example, if a folder was named "♫MyMusic" the ♫ character has been replaced by a small rectangle.
    (FYI, the ♫ character is produced by ALT+14).

I have no problem producing ♫ in a WORD document but as of the v1809 upgrade it appears as if folders cannot use these special characters.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Dec 28, 2018

2. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 28, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Dec 28, 2018
  4. problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming

Getting folder names and not location in VB .Net

Hey guys,
    I'm getting a problem with my line of code and can't seem to find a workaround that works (all I can find is VB 6)

Code: CheckedListBox1.Items.AddRange(IO.Directory.GetDirectories("my directory here"))[/quote] This deposits all folders locations into a list box but I only need the actual folder name
    e.g:

Deposits: C:\Users\Onafets
    But all I want is "Onafets"

Is there any way to do this?

cheers

<<Onafets>>, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming

1. problem with Wind10 version 1809 folder naming - Similar Threads - problem Wind10 version

2. Problem with update on version 1809, this version deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with update on version 1809, this version deleted all my files: this morning, when I started my desktop computer, it was updated with the version of windows 10pro version 1809, a version that erased all the files my company is running. I tried everything from the one written here, but nothing works. Please someone to contact me because...
  3. User folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  4. Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10: I don't know how to change font thickness(now i can see every pixel),and Filenames and Folder names are written in black color. i want default settings for font. [ATTACH] Sorry for bad english....
  5. 1809 version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    1809 version: since windows 10 version 10809 has been updated my computer runs slow what can be done.thank you Gilbert https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1809-version/b6df8d0d-061d-4a35-9658-0b1f1fdf76ce
  6. Problem when installing windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem when installing windows 10 version 1809: updates always repeat the installation preparation, is this because when downloading updates with an unstable connection or something else that causes this problem?...
  7. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  8. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...
  9. Pink Folder Names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pink Folder Names: Something very weird happened just now. *Shock I opened a folder with a subfolder in Documents. The subfolder had nothing in it. When I returned to my Documents, all the folders names where pink! Why? I returned to the folder and took the Read only off. When I returned to...
  10. Hide folder names?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide folder names?: Is there any way to hide folder names? But I do mean hide the name, not hide the folder or replace the folder name with a blank character. Like the "hide file names" option but for folders instead 44726