Windows 10: Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive

Discus and support Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently upgraded to Window 10 from Windows 7. When trying to connect to my external drive, where my music is, with my Sonos app I get an error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sonos1756, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Sonos1756 Win User

Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive

Recently upgraded to Window 10 from Windows 7. When trying to connect to my external drive, where my music is, with my Sonos app I get an error message, Sonos unable to add music folder - reason, the computer refused to let Sonos connect to it. The Sonos people tell me that it has something to do with permission issues that they cannot change. Can you help?

:)

Sonos1756, Feb 22, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Feb 22, 2019
  3. no disk in external drive in windows 10

Recent troubleshooting my new Windows 10 not recognizing the external DVD drive:
    I downloaded-

free Nero MediaHome. (Nero BurningRom probably better but not free.)

VLC media player.

Active ISO Burner.
    On my Win 10: In File Explorer - DVD no show on left side w/other drives. Only as icon on right when computer selected.

With DVD inserted-says no disk; if select format/write to disk, drive ejects & asks for disk.

The external drive recognizes CDs, but not DVDs.

Same results with VLC media player.

With CD inserted, Nero can play music, indicates 'tracks', but w/no titles.

Can't burn disks - Get no disk in drive with Nero MediaHome

On my Win 7: With disk in external drive, open / format fails due to 'no disk'.

Move disk to Win 10 internal DVD drive, format disk OK. Move disk to external drive; still 'no disk'.

Move disk back to Win 10 internal DVD drive, copy file to disk & close disk to work on other drives.

Move disk back to external DVD drive, can read from & copy to disk.

Move external drive & disk back to Windows 10. File Explorer shows drive & files, but write protected.

Device Driver says external drive is working fine.

BillRhinow, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive

external hard drive connects as local disk

Two 2T WD-Passport Ultra external/portable hard drives (only 3-4 months old) connected via separate USB ports to a new laptop running Windows 10. Out of the box they appear in disk manager as "type: external drive." After an OS update in late September,
    they suddenly appeared as "type: local disk." A second laptop (one yr old) running Windows 10 with a 1T WD-Passport external hard drive experienced the same issue post OS update. I use a fee-based off-site backup/recovery program that uses one of the external
    drives on the first laptop for a mirror image of the internal drive and can not function properly if the disk is seen as a "local disk."

Is this a WD hard drive problem or a Windows 10 issue? How do I fix it? The drives are working properly, have the current drivers, etc. With the exception of this single issue, everything with the OS as well as the drives checks out ok.

Bradford Seabourn, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive

1. Problem with Windows 10 allowing Sonos to connect to either internal or external Disk drive - Similar Threads - Problem allowing Sonos

2. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  3. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  4. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  6. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  7. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Sonos won't connect

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sonos won't connect: I just transitioned to a new desktop and my new system won't let my Sonos system connect to it. It worked well on the old PC, but not on the new one. Both old and new use Windows 10....
  9. no disk in external drive in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no disk in external drive in windows 10: no disk found in external drive in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-disk-in-external-drive-in-windows-10/88996552-1106-4c40-98e6-be87bf069e15
  10. Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external.: hello i have 4 hard disk on my pc 3 hhd and one ssd on ahci mode but the Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external why? [img] 85077

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the computer refused to let sonos connect to it

2. the computer refused to let sonos connect

3. sonos update error on windows 10