Windows 10: Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Discus and support Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SamTheGreatCoder, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

When I'm trying to save a file in a portable application, I'm getting an error that the file couldn't be found. Based on my searching, I've found that it's a problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Security (new update renamed Windows Defender I guess). I was just going to open Windows Security, and cycle the option for Controlled Folder Access. But when I found that option, it said that it was unavailable because real time protection is turned off. I went to real time protection and it was disabled because I currently have McAfee Total Protection installed and enabled.

Is there anyway I can toggle the option with a 3rd party antivirus enabled?

I'm going to try disabling McAfee temporary and enabling Windows Security, to turn it on and off, then turn off Windows Security and re-enable McAfee.

Please don't give me an answer like "stop using McAfee because it's a virus itself" or "Windows Security is perfectly fine for what you're probably doing". First of all, McAfee saved me butt quite a few times, so I've gained it's trust (even though when scanning it does put quite a load on my CPU).

:)

SamTheGreatCoder, Apr 14, 2019

2. Controlled folder access Problem

I want to use ( Controlled folder access ) for my custom folders like system 32,
    but want to remove the default folders like the desktop folder .
    Found in :
    windows defender > windows defender security center > virus & threat protection >
    virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access :

Sometimes I cant save or edit things at the desktop with Controlled folder access On.
    Yet if turned Off ; then I cant protect my custom folders.

Hows protecting the desktop more important than system 32 ?

Asking for advice to get around this by any means, to delete the default list, so only my custom folders remain in the control access list.

OtherWay1982, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Jsssssssss, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

You could usefully add event ID 1127 to that list...

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access [​IMG]

Thema:

Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access

1. Problem with Windows Defender/Controlled Folder Access - Similar Threads - Problem Defender Controlled

2. Defender controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender controlled folder access: while i was using my system i got a message saying "Unauthorized changes blocked" and it was explorer.exe what is happening and what should i do please advice...
  3. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off

Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Turn off: Conrolled folder access turns it self off when i click it to turn it on. i need help [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-controlled-folder-access-turn-off/67e73935-1c11-4e63-b5b3-6be93eebe7b2
  4. Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions

Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access and Exclusions: I just recently started using Windows Defender as my antivirus software expired and I was looking for another option other than paying for another program. I don't totally understand how to use it and reading thru tutorials is somewhat foreign to me so please understand my...
  5. Controlled folder access Problem

Controlled folder access Problem: I want to use ( Controlled folder access ) for custom folders like system 32, but want to remove the default folders like the desktop folder . Found in : windows defender > windows defender security center > virus & threat protection > virus & threat protection settings >...
  6. cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender

cannot change CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS option in Windows Defender: [img] 104282
  7. Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert

Odd Defender 'Controlled Folder Access' alert: Fall Creators Update 1709 introduced a new 'Controlled Folder Access' function in Defender. This is off by default, but I have turned it on to test it. I've had to allow a couple of apps access (VLC was one) but other than that it seem unobtrusive. However, very...
  8. Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?

Is anyone using Windows Defender Controlled folder access?: I spoke too soon. Some Microsoft apps are now being blocked from making changes. It would be nice to know what's whitelisted by default.
  9. Controlled folder access problems

Controlled folder access problems: I turned on controlled folder access in latest Windows 10 and tested with a few programs I use. I tested by adding Libreoffice calc (c:\program files\libreoffice5\scalc.exe) as an allowed app. However, with controlled folder access on I can't save any spreadsheets that I...
  10. About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...

About the "Controlled Folder Access" in windows defender...: Although not that important, I noticed that when you open Winders Defender, and then click on Virus and threat protection settings, and then scroll down to controlled folder access,.. It states, " Protect your files and folders from unauthorized CHANGED by unfriendly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. controlled folder accessoption missing from virus and threat protection