Windows 10: Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates

Discus and support Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! About a two weeks ago windows defender disappeared and also windows updates didnt work anymore. (0x80080005) Windows was new and clean. It... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sigmars, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Sigmars Win User

Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates

Hi!

About a two weeks ago windows defender disappeared and also windows updates didnt work anymore. (0x80080005) Windows was new and clean. It turned out that the services are lost. I made new clean install and now after week or two i have the same problem. Windows security center is empty, cant make any changes there. I make a new clean install but i think after two weeks windows security and update services disappear again. What may cause that?

Thank you

:)

Sigmars, Mar 31, 2019
  2. james_27G Win User

Windows defender security center problem

When I try to start the windows defender security center the antimalware service executable starts up and uses up to 98% CPU. I have tried to change proxy restart defender and many suggested steps and also went to windows deffender online to do a scan
    that way but no malware came up. The problem still persists. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? I just want my security to run properly but I cant even get to the menus.

james_27G, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Jhawk55 Win User

Having problem with Windows Defender Security Center

Thanks guys for replying...

@Bree, I have tried the suggestions in your links but problem is still there. I do not have other 3rd party Anti-virus. I do have Malwarebytes Pro which has being using with WD for many years without any issues.
    @Caledon Ken, I have tried the in-place repair install but it did not solve the problem. It actually creates more issues for me that's why I restore back using backup image.

How I wish they have a reset command using Powershell or CMD just like Microsoft Edge...

Jhawk55, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates - Similar Threads - Problem security center

2. Windows Defender Security Center

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Security Center: My Windows Defender Security Center is not working. There are no options like virus & threat protection and others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-security-center/2f1968ec-0098-4aae-b4c5-ef25f94f5cc6"
  3. Problem with Windows Defender Security Center

Problem with Windows Defender Security Center: Split from this thread. this problem my windows defender [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-with-windows-defender-security-center/c7e395eb-bc8b-40b0-bd52-de17826f6d01
  4. having problem with windows defender security center

having problem with windows defender security center: Hi i am getting some issue with windows defender security center. i am using kaspersky antivirus. when i open windows defender security center and in firewall and network option i am getting red X. and under that it saying "action needed in kaspersky antivirus". i don't know...
  5. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Hi, Every time I connect to VPN(Client Network) from My personal laptop I get windows defender security center popup- Its shows all as green but yet it continuously pop up. I can not type a mail or do anything else. It happens only when VPN connection is done. I tried to...
  6. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I have a problem with access to Windows Defender settings. I am not able to turn application and file checking on. It says that in order to change the setting I have to be an administrator but I am already an administrator. I am sorry for this being written in Croatian. I...
  7. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I keep getting notification that threats has been found, "Windows anti virus protection found threats. Get details. When I click on the message or manual open the defender center I get the message there are no current threats and the center is locked up. I have rebooted...
  8. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Under Virus & Threat protection I click on learn more and it then goes to sign in. When I try to sign it tell me This doesn't look like a work or school email. You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead This is a personal...
  9. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: When I boot my system (Windows 10 Home Ed.) "Windows Defender Security Center" always pops up windowed (not minimised). is this normal (I can't remember that it was always like this) and can I do something about it so that it starts minimised ? 112234
  10. Having problem with Windows Defender Security Center

Having problem with Windows Defender Security Center: Hi guys, I am having a strange problem with Windows Defender Security Center in Windows 10 1709 (Build 16299.98). When I click on "Home" or "App & Browser control" WDSC will closes itself. No problem when click on "Virus & Threat Protection", "Device Performance & Health" &...