Windows 10: Problem with Windows System Image

Discus and support Problem with Windows System Image in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently created a system image because I plan on selling my computer, but having a system image means I can reset the computer to let people test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Brandan_511, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Problem with Windows System Image

I recently created a system image because I plan on selling my computer, but having a system image means I can reset the computer to let people test it, and restore it if nobody buys it, or get files off it for my new computer. However, before resetting my computer I wanted to test and make sure the system image would actually work. I went into repair mode, selected advanced options, selected restore from a system image, and then the screen simply goes blank forever. The only way to get back is to force a reset. I am unable to view my system image I know it is there in my external drive, I se

:)

Brandan_511, Jul 25, 2021

2. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2021
  3. System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Jul 25, 2021
  4. Problem with Windows System Image

System Image Problem

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the Nick's Data? I've already done a Sys Img to G: drive.
    What is a Belarc Advisor audit?

Rebooting now to see if drives stay the same.

--
    Nick

caddman6425, Jul 25, 2021
Thema:

Problem with Windows System Image

1. Problem with Windows System Image - Similar Threads - Problem System Image

2. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  3. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  4. System Image Creating Problem.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Creating Problem.: I want to create a system image of my "C" drive for backup purposes, but when I use the built-in backup tool, my "G" drive is also selected and I can't uncheck it. My "G" drive is filled with videos, stuff, games and I really do not need that backed up How to uncheck "G"...
  5. Problem with system image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with system image: How can I convert my external exFAT drive to NTFS so that I can use it for a system image ? Thanks for advice. submitted by /u/henz333 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kdt4kx/problem_with_system_image/
  6. Windows System Image Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image Problem: After a fresh installation of windows 10, I tried to create a Sytem Image via the Windows 7 Backup in Control Panell. When I select the drive that Iwant the backup to be saved I get the message: "The is not enough space on the destination drive". Of course there more than...
  7. System Image Restore Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Problem: Hi everyone, I really need some help. I backed up my system using a system image about a month ago. Then just recently my system kept freezing. I went to reinstall windows and it kept crashing and therefore had no operating system on. So so I then used my windows 10...
  8. System Image Problem

System Image Problem: Running Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, Build 15063.332. Every month for the past several years I/we do a SystemImage. Two weeks ago, sensing imminentfailure of the HDD, I installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD and transferred allfiles (including Windows 10) from the HDD to...
  9. System Image Problem

System Image Problem: First, I'm new to this site and I don't know if this is the correct place for this thread, if not could someone please advise where to post this. I won't go into the problem here if this isn't the correct place. 54855
  10. problem creating system image

problem creating system image: i did a clean install of windows 10 and now i am trying to do a system image and save it to usb but windows keeps saying this is not a valid location, my usb is a sandisk 64 gb formatted to the correct format that windows asks me to do .i have tried to do create a image on...