Windows 10: Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.

Discus and support Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; About a week ago there was a Windows 10 update (Aug 30?). After that I could not open any of my word files. There was an error message like "Could not... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by sijon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. sijon Win User

Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.

About a week ago there was a Windows 10 update (Aug 30?). After that I could not open any of my word files. There was an error message like "Could not find the element" also showing the search path for the file.
    Not knowing what to do I tried this many times and then suddenly my word files could be opened again. (I had not done anything but tried to open the files.) But after that the file icon for my word files was empty (no W, no colour).
    My wife has an account on the same laptop and she has not seen this problem at all.
    Looking at the file types:
    File with W icon: type "word(docx)"
    File with emty icon: type "DOCX-file(docx)"

I really appreciate any help you can provide
    /

:)

sijon, Sep 6, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.

1. Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update. - Similar Threads - Problem Word files

2. Can files in Word pad be restored after an update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can files in Word pad be restored after an update: Some how during an update I lost some files. Is there anyway to recover them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-files-in-word-pad-be-restored-after-an-update/113a4049-2423-46d1-b0d8-85a5dfff8c01
  3. periods. after. words. problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    periods. after. words. problem: why. is. this. putting. periods. after. every. word? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/periods-after-words-problem/2822de18-ae45-4083-b4a5-744c2e431b00
  4. lost Word document after updating in Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost Word document after updating in Windows 10!: Help! So we did the latest Windows update in Windows 10, and a super-important Word document somehow disappeared, it seems... We searched for the file of course in all of C:, and it shows up in "Recent" and "Recent Items," but attempting to open it gets the "shortcut can't...
  5. Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problem with Word files after Windows 10 update.: About a week ago there was a Windows 10 update (Aug 30?). After that I could not open any of my word files. There was an error message like "Could not find the element" also showing the search path for the file. Not knowing what to do I tried this many times and then suddenly...
  6. Lost Word file in desktop after update

Lost Word file in desktop after update: So I have spent 8 hours working on my dissertation project today, saving it as I go to the desktop. Went to shut down my computer and Windows did an automatic update and now my two files that I had been working on all day have completely vanished from the computer, I cant...
  7. Word problem after May 17 2019 update.

Word problem after May 17 2019 update.: May 17, 2019 Update, after my HP laptop install this update in Word all my documents are 22 inches wide. I go the page layout dropdown and change to a standard 8.5 x 11 inches size and select set to be default the size will not change from the 22.5 inches wide size. What...
  8. File-save as problem in Word 2013

in Microsoft Office and 365
    File-save as problem in Word 2013: When I try to save a doc in Word 2013, the save field does not have the title of the doc I want to save.It is of some other doc used in the past so I have to enter the name of the doc I am wanting to save.Is there anything I can do to solve this ? 132157
  9. Problem with Word (Windows 10).

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with Word (Windows 10).: Very small line of squares appears at foot of typed document. Cannot remove it or highlight it in normal manner. Ideas/advice welcome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-word-windows-10/7e0dc3fd-1f1f-495c-9843-9b06cf0d2ffd
  10. cannot save word files after 1809 update

cannot save word files after 1809 update: my computer has just updated to 1809. now it seems i cannot save any files in Word. i am using Word 2013... Any ideas what i can do? Thanks...