Windows 10: Problems after upgrade to 1909.Black screen with Personalized Settings

Discus and support Problems after upgrade to 1909.Black screen with Personalized Settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A HP notebook (1703 or 1709) with multiple failed Windows upgrades had a successful upgrade today. Before the upgrade scannow, restorehealth, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zbook, Nov 25, 2019.

1. zbook Win User

Problems after upgrade to 1909.Black screen with Personalized Settings

A HP notebook (1703 or 1709) with multiple failed Windows upgrades had a successful upgrade today.

Before the upgrade scannow, restorehealth, and chkdsk /scan were ran.

A Windows 10 iso 1909 was downloaded to the desktop.
    Setup.exe was launched
    Windows updates were performed during the upgrade.

The upgrade completed.
    There were some messages such as getting things ready.
    The screen appeared black.

Control + alt + delete were clicked then restart.
    The restart displayed a blue screen with rotating dots for 1 hour and was powered off.

Upon reboot the screen was again black.
    This time though there was a white strip in the left upper corner with a rectangular box displaying: Personalized Settings

When the mouse was moved to the personalize settings box the white mouse turned into a rotating blue circle.
    When the mouse was removed from the box it appeared as a normal mouse pointer.

When the Personalized Settings was clicked it displayed: Personalized Settings (Not responding)

Control + alt + del displayed a blue background with:
    Lock
    Switch User
    Sign out
    Change a password
    Task Manager

Clicking Task Manager displayed:

Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer is not responding.
    If you close the program you may lose information

Close the program
    Wait for the program to respond

Close the program > wait to report to Microsoft > black screen with white mouse

Control + alt + delete > same choices

In the right lower corner shutdown was clicked.

The power cord was removed (no battery installed) and the power button was held down for 30 seconds.

Power on hp with rotating dots > black screen with white mouse > rotating blue circle at times at tip of mouse.

Win + Control + Shift + B > produces a sound with mouse flicker > no change in black screen

3 power off/on were performed > preparing automatic repair > diagnosing your PC > repairing disk errors this might take over one hour to complete > took less than a few minutes > desktop appeared > logon was performed > black screen with Personalized Settings in the left upper corner > placed mouse inside box with change to blue rotating circle

So it was reproducible.

What are the troubleshooting options

:)

zbook, Nov 25, 2019
  2. mh7mh7mh7 Win User

Personal settings not responding and black screen

mh7mh7mh7, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

Remon Ont, Nov 25, 2019
  4. John Vil Win User

Black screen and personal settings not responding

Hi,

For us to better assist you and provide you with the appropriate resolution, we would like to know a few more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• To verify, where/when does this black screen appear?
    • Does the black screen come with an error code/message?
    • Are you having issues launching any other apps besides Settings and Cortana?

In the meantime, here are some articles you may refer to for troubleshooting purposes:

We'll be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Problems after upgrade to 1909.Black screen with Personalized Settings - Similar Threads - Problems upgrade 1909

2. Troubleshoot black screen with Personalize Settings (not responsive) after upgrade to1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Troubleshoot black screen with Personalize Settings (not responsive) after upgrade to1909: This notebook computer has dual graphics and was upgraded to 1909. Display is black with left upper corner box: Personalized Settings (not responsive) Steps performed so far: Ran HP BIOS UEFI hardware diagnostics version 7 > all hardware passed BIOS upgraded to 1.44...
  3. Black screen from full screen on YouTube after Windows 1909 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen from full screen on YouTube after Windows 1909 update.: Has anyone else had these issues? Whenever I'm watching a YouTube video and I make it full screen, the ENTIRE screen goes black for a second or two. Even when I minimize it. It happened on the last update, but I reverted back within the same hour because I wasn't trying to...
  4. Black Screen Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Black Screen Problem: I was using google chrome to access my facebook page and kept having problems with black screen and flickering off and on. I switched to MS Edge and started having same issue. Is there a way to eliminate this?...
  5. Black screen Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen Problem: Hello. My name is Robert Read and my computer is not working right. I have a inspiron 24 (Model 3455 series). If anyone can help me fix it that would be great! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-problem/3c36b8ba-f394-4613-9b2d-419f683334bc
  6. Black screen problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen problem: Guys please i need your help after install Intel drivers my screen goes black i only hear sound when i randomly press any key here is my laptop graphics spec http://speccy.piriform.com/results/e...hPaUcUlax00U8J only i cant change the resolution cos it is grey out...
  7. Laptop screen was working after upgrade but now black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop screen was working after upgrade but now black: Hi I upgraded to Windows 10 on Sunday and all was well. When I went to log in on Monday the laptop screen was completely black. It sounded like it was working ok but I couldn't see anything (not even the cursor). I plugged an external monitor in and that was ok. I tried...
  8. Black Screen Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen Problem: Hello. I recently updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 a few weeks ago. Everything was going fine until I began encountering the random black screens. The screen will randomly go black (it stays on, the screen will just be black). The only way to get it back is the push the...
  9. Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10: Hi, I successfully upgraded 2 computers, but have problem with my notebook HP ProBook 4320s. When upgrading reach 75% (100% installing drivers), black screen appears and I have to turn it off and on, then it restores to previous win7. I upgraded all drivers and BIOS with...
  10. Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Win7 --> Win10 upgrade black screen after login: Yesterday updated from Win7Pro to Win10Pro my old Lenovo Thinkpad x220. The laptop does have the original 320GB HDD and a mSATA 240GB SSD, the latest used as main disk now with Windows 10. For security reasons I never deleted the older Win7 installation in the HDD. At...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after windows 1909 upgrade displaying black screen with personalized settings