Windows 10: Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close

Discus and support Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After updating Windows 10 Home (to build 21313) on my laptop, I have the following two problems :- 1. Fn + Brightness keys (F9 and F10) no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Janner Oyibo, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close

After updating Windows 10 Home (to build 21313) on my laptop, I have the following two problems :-

1. Fn + Brightness keys (F9 and F10) no longer work. Fn + sound keys and other such functions working correctly. I can, however, still use brightness slide bar in Settings to adjust brightness.

2.When closing lid of laptop, machine will not sleep although power options have been set up for this. Machine will sleep when using the Start menu Power button.

Both these problems do not occur when I boot to Linux Mint Live from a USB stick.

I am suspecting a driver issue. Any ideas ?

:)

Janner Oyibo, Feb 18, 2021
  2. lolville Win User

Fn Brightness not working after Windows Update (Dell)

Hello.

Fn brightness function was working correctly, until a windows update about 3 weeks ago.

Then I tried to fix it by going to the device manager and then updating the drivers. (Monitors- Generic Pnp Monitor - Update - Browse my computer for drivers - Let me pick from a list of availabe drivers on my computer- Generic Pnp Monitor)
    HwId SEC544B

The fix was temporary and I couldn't use the Fn brightness keys after a laptop restart.

Now I tried unistalling the driver and restarting my laptop. Now the brightness dosen't change at all even after using Mobility Center.

Is there any fix for this?

Dell Latitude E6520
    Intel hd3000
    Version 2004 ( OS build 19041.685)

Thank you!

lolville, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close

LID close screen still on

Well, it was worth checking.

How long have you had this Asus ROG? Has it ever turned off the screen when the lid is closed?

The last post in this thread suggests it may be a hardware problem, the section starting 'Here's an interesting story about the GL502VS in general' describes a sequence of replacements from Asus, one of which behaved this way. Oddly, the OP actually wanted this behaviour.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-lid-is-closed

Thema:

Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close

1. Problems after Windows 10 update:- Fn +brightness & Lid Close - Similar Threads - Problems update +brightness

2. Use Windows in Clamshell closed lid Problem with Refreshrate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Windows in Clamshell closed lid Problem with Refreshrate: Soo,i Would like to use my Surface Laptop in a Closed Lid mode, but the monitor i have is a 144Hz Refreshrate monitor 2K 144HzAs it looks like my Laptop can do Video output up to 120Hz and it works perectly when i do Mirror or Extend screen. But i Want ClamshellAnd There...
  3. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  4. Fn Brightness not working after Windows Update (Dell)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fn Brightness not working after Windows Update (Dell): Hello. Fn brightness function was working correctly, until a windows update about 3 weeks ago. Then I tried to fix it by going to the device manager and then updating the drivers. (Monitors- Generic Pnp Monitor - Update - Browse my computer for drivers - Let me pick from a...
  5. Brightness problem after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Brightness problem after update: -Why is it that every time my HP Pavilion g series update to the latest version my brightness button on the keyboard don't work anymore and the brightness on the notification bar is no longer there or in the setting I need help please because i always revert to the previous...
  6. Close a lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  7. fn keys for brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    fn keys for brightness: hello guys I have problem with the fn key for brightness. it work before I format my pc but now didn't work.(p.s for sound, fn keys works but for brightness did not). which can be the problem if u can help me, I will be thankful....
  8. blue screen after closing lid ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    blue screen after closing lid ?: i am running an hp notebook, with 16gb ram and 1 tb sdd, and win 10 pro. after installation of Pro, i set sleep etc to do nothing when the lid is closed. i need it that way to run periodic a/v scans. i cannot just leave it open or the cat will have a field day lol. does...
  9. Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change brightness via fn + brightness keys after windows 10 update: Same problem with muting and unmuting via fn+(un)mute. Other fn combinations seem to work. It is possible to change the brightness via settings but I really want the hotkeys to work. I have tried updating drivers for keyboards and display adapters but that didn't work. I...
  10. Brightness Fn Controller Non-Functional after windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brightness Fn Controller Non-Functional after windows 10 Update: I have just recently updated to the latest version of Windows 10 and after it finished installing, i now cannot change the brightness using the function keys in my keyboard. I have tried updating the controllers for the display, but they are already updated. This is not the...