Windows 10: Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible?

Discus and support Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, Here's a curious story to keep you busy with. A while back I started getting errors on my SATA drive. All of a sudden files were missing,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by verysame, Jul 10, 2020.

1. verysame Win User

Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible?

Hi there,

Here's a curious story to keep you busy with.

A while back I started getting errors on my SATA drive. All of a sudden files were missing, entire folders actually.
    I did all possible tests: hardware, software. I spent a crazy amount of time trying to figure it out to eventually come to the conclusion that the hard drive failed.
    And so I got a new one. And that failed too. And then another one. Same story. All SATA were assigned to letter D (yeah, it's in bold, there must be a reason for that).
    Therefore, it had to be the SATA port, or the SATA cable. I checked everything and still nothing.
    Well, my main drive, the NVMe was still rocking, and so I thought: the hell with this SATA craziness. I'll buy an SSD.
    And so I did. Two of the SATA I kept went on an external bay and now work great as a backup unities. In fact, any hard drive test I'm doing is not showing any sign of failure. I reinstall Windows with the official Microsoft image. And because I'm a little superstitious, I assign the SSD the letter E.

But here it comes the weird part of the story.

My setup at this point is: Toshiba NVMe as primary drive (as it's always been), and as a secondary drive the new Samsung SSD.

Then Windows fails! I re-install Windows, only the official Windows ISO is giving me issues (yeah, I like to keep myself busy)

But this is an Alienware Area 51 R3 Threadripper and it got warranty. So, I call Dell and they do their tests and eventually they point me to Dell's recovery tool and so I can finally reinstall Windows. And everything seems to work fine. Only, this time, I left the drives with the default assigned letters: NVMe is C and SSD is D.

And finally, tonight, after one day of use D is throwing me the same, exact errors as the SATA did months ago! Files missing!

So, what is this? Black magic? Something wrong with Windows and any drive assigned to letter D? Or perhaps something wrong with Alienware ISO image?

If out there there's a Sherlock Holmes, this is the time to show off! Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible? :)

:)

verysame, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Anak Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible? [​IMG]

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

3. Jetster Win User
    Need some advice on computer problems.

Run HDtune (free version) on you hard drive. but most likely that the problem. You can also test your memory with Memtest86 as suggested above

You didn't list your OS

Jetster, Jul 10, 2020
  4. dencal Win User

Uninstall problem

Thank you for your reply.
    Problem is I don't know which one to delete because they don't show drive letter. see att below.
    Both SSD,s are the same configured sizes. W10 is online all the time even though I am in W8.1

dencal, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems always the same drive. Is that even possible? - Similar Threads - Problems always same

2. Is this taskbar even possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this taskbar even possible?: So basically I have 2 monitors and on the main taskbar I have my Icons in the center, but on my other monitor I cannot make my Icons in the center.The monitors ARE extended and I use "Links" to make them in the center. But I cannot find the "Links" on the second monitor.What...
  3. Is this taskbar even possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this taskbar even possible?: So basically I have 2 monitors and on the main taskbar I have my Icons in the center, but on my other monitor I cannot make my Icons in the center.The monitors ARE extended and I use "Links" to make them in the center. But I cannot find the "Links" on the second monitor.What...
  4. Is this taskbar even possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How Is This Even Possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Is This Even Possible?: How rich does a company have to be? to be able to release an OS like Windows 11, and then "update" the task manager to a steaming pile of trash? That is my question. I upgraded all 3 of my PCs, and now I have 3 PCs with a task manager that freezes and crashes all the time....
  6. How Is This Even Possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Is This Even Possible?: How rich does a company have to be? to be able to release an OS like Windows 11, and then "update" the task manager to a steaming pile of trash? That is my question. I upgraded all 3 of my PCs, and now I have 3 PCs with a task manager that freezes and crashes all the time....
  7. Is it Possible and Ethical,..? For Two OS to be Partitioned on the same Drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it Possible and Ethical,..? For Two OS to be Partitioned on the same Drive?: mlf68X1 I Mainly use Windows currently Win 10 but also want cool things from Google Chrome.I want to have them together but Dont have the room or Money for 2nd Computers,... Will they Live Together ?...
  8. Is it possible to clean install W10 on another drive in the same PC with W7?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to clean install W10 on another drive in the same PC with W7?: Hello. I have a decade old, 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC with 2 SATA HDDs. I know MS lets users use their W7 keys for their W10 OS upgrades, but can I do a clean install on the other drive? Also, will I still be able to use my old W7 OS with its retail (not OEM) key too? Basically,...
  9. Windows 10 Display Resolution FORCE ALWAYS THE SAME EVEN WHEN REBOOTING.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Display Resolution FORCE ALWAYS THE SAME EVEN WHEN REBOOTING.: I want to have Windows KEEP the Display Resolution I have Manually Set - I don't want it to ever change from what I had set, and I also do not want a NAG screen . I don't care what windows thinks is best resolution - I simply want to set it and have it stay that way as long...
  10. is it possible to always boot to the menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is it possible to always boot to the menu: I've a ThinkPad t420i with x2 ssd slipped in product page links Lenovo cnet ssd1 win10 ssd2 Ubuntu so what I want to know if it's possible to somehow configure/set my laptop to always boot to the menu where I can specify which ssd to into when I boot my laptop...