Windows 10: Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am puzzled by this, I have been using Macrium Reflect for a decade. I have several SSDs in the machine, and I run Macrium Reflect clone this disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dictum, Oct 11, 2020.

1. dictum Win User

Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect

I am puzzled by this, I have been using Macrium Reflect for a decade.
    I have several SSDs in the machine, and I run Macrium Reflect clone this disk option. It creates a perfect image/clone. Except that the disk is not bootable. The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI. When I hit F11 during the boot cycle and pick the disk that was created via clone, it says "Your PC needs to be repaired".

I moved the SSD around in various slots, made sure it's the first entry in the BIOS, and the only entry, all to no avail.

It's a perfect copy yet it won't boot, why is that and what am I missing? I did exactly that multiple times with no issues, it used to work.

- - - Updated - - -

C is the primary disk and G is the clone disk. Only C boots.

Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Running:

bcdboot C:\windows /s G: /f UEFI

now I have two entries for the clone drive, need to delete one of them

:)

dictum, Oct 11, 2020

2. Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE

Rather than using the Macrium Reflect cloning process, I have had better success with this method:

1. Create an image of the old disk. Park it on an external disk.
    2. Create a Macrium Reflect USB rescue disk.
    3. Disconnect the old disk, connect the new disk.
    4. Boot the machine with the USB rescue disk.
    5. Restore the image onto the new disk.
    6. Boot the machine with only the new disk connected.

Frederik Long, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Cloned Upgrade SSD does not boot in Windows 10

I recently cloned a GPT hard disk with Macrium Reflect like so:

1. Create an image of the whole disk (i.e. include all partitions).
    2. Use the rescue disk to restore the image to the new disk.

Windows would not boot.
    3. Use a bootable Windows Repair flash disk to boot the machine into Windows Repair Mode.

The command RecoveryDrive.exe will create such a disk on a live Windows PC.
    4. Get Repair Mode to repair the boot-up process.

The Repair Mode reported that it was unable to repair the installation.
    5. Reboot normally. All was well!

Frederik Long, Oct 11, 2020
  4. WinstonR Win User

Access to cloned HD

Hi Dave,

I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to clone the SSD. It is quite possible the cloning operation did not succeed in creating a bootable drive. I have used it successfully in the past for several clones. How can I determine

• if the boot instructions came over with the clone?
    • or should I try cloning the drive again?
    This computer is a Dell refurbed workstation and I am uncertain if it was set up in a RAID configuration although it came with only 1 rotating hard drive.

WinstonR, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Problems booting cloned

2. Times to clone with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Times to clone with Macrium Reflect: Due to a corrupt SSD I have installed Macrium Reflect app and started doing a clone of the SDD. I'm doing the clone to an older HDD, which I used as an OS drive before. My plan was to make this clone, and if it succeeded and was bootable, clone this to a new SDD. But the...
  3. Updating a Macrium Reflect Clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Updating a Macrium Reflect Clone: OK, after a couple of decades of using FSS Developments Casper to backup and restore my computers, I took the plunge and bought a single licence for Macrium Reflect Home v 7.3.5289 in the Halloween sale. I've unistalled Casper on my ThinkPad T450s with 1 TB SSD running W10...
  4. Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk

Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk: Hi, I would like to know how do I clone a hd with basic partition to a hd with dynamic partition? My Macrium Reflect is 7.2 version. Thank's 167387
  5. Macrium Reflect clone question

Macrium Reflect clone question: Hi, I just cloned a 500gb disk to another disk of the same size using v7.2.4601. Clone finished fine, both disks boot ok, however the disk utilization is much higher on the source disk. 297gb(source) vs 64gb(target) - Wondering what did not get copied, or what is using up...
  6. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  7. Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect error while cloning disks: I cloned disks for years and it usually works well. Today I am getting this error: This restore must be completed in the Windows PE rescue environment. I don't want to do a restore, I just want to clone Disk C to another disk. 124587
  8. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...
  9. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...