Windows 10: PROBLEMS CAUSED BY LAST NIGHT'S WU, ESPECIALLY INVOLVING NOTEPAD - WINDOWS 10

Discus and support PROBLEMS CAUSED BY LAST NIGHT'S WU, ESPECIALLY INVOLVING NOTEPAD - WINDOWS 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night (UK - it's 1:07am now). When shutting it down I saw that there had been a WU - Cumulative Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Taffy087, May 21, 2019.

1. Taffy087 Win User

PROBLEMS CAUSED BY LAST NIGHT'S WU, ESPECIALLY INVOLVING NOTEPAD - WINDOWS 10

I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night (UK - it's 1:07am now). When shutting it down I saw that there had been a WU - Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems. I powered it up again and found the following had happened:

(1) 40 or so icons had appeared on my desktop - at least 50% of these were for old notes made on Notepad.

(2) four Word documents, included my template Word (I'd changed the font & font size four days ago) had been auto-recovered and I had to decide which ones to keep.

Has this happened to anyone else?

:)

Taffy087, May 21, 2019

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 21, 2019
  3. Cds47 Win User
    Access to Notepad denied after EVERY log in to Win 10.

I also tried to find the notepad icon (as suggested by another source) in C;\Windows\Systems32 but could not get it to accept notepad.exe

Cds47, May 21, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 21, 2019
Thema:

1. PROBLEMS CAUSED BY LAST NIGHT'S WU, ESPECIALLY INVOLVING NOTEPAD - WINDOWS 10 - Similar Threads - PROBLEMS CAUSED LAST

2. Update on the problem from last night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update on the problem from last night: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sakura_Kamishiro [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j95ncm/update_on_the_problem_from_last_night/
  3. Windows 10 last upgrade caused a problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 last upgrade caused a problem: I get: windows ran into a problem: Stop code: IRQL_not_less or equal Windows upgraded to Build 19587. rs_prerelease. 2001313-1639 need help it crashes...
  4. Windows UpDate From Last Night

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows UpDate From Last Night: This thing is hung up. It reboots and I can get to the basic screen, but about half my icons don't render. Also, on the toolbar, my icons aren't there. The Windows icon in the bottom left corner is black and white and when you hover the mouse over it, you get the blue circle...
  5. last windows 10 update causing problems

last windows 10 update causing problems: Ever since the last update to correct the vulnerability problem. Edge is not working properly and window update is stuck trying to update but never connects to receive further updates. Nothing. This is causing the computer to be unreasonably slow. Edge wont connect to default...
  6. Windows update last night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  7. What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10: I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night. When shutting it down an hour or so later I saw that there had been a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems. I powered it up again and found the following had happened: (1) four Word...
  8. What has caused these strange problems after WU update v1809 17763.504 - many old notepad...

What has caused these strange problems after WU update v1809 17763.504 - many old notepad...: I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night (UK - it's 1:07am now). When shutting it down I saw that there had been a WU - Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems. I powered it up again and found the following had happened: (1) 40 or so...
  9. Last nights update causes video issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last nights update causes video issues: Ever since the windows update last night, my screen either flickers or completely blanks out several times per minute. While the screen is blank (can last a few seconds) the computer is otherwise working fine because, for example, I can type and when the screen comes back...
  10. Notepad causing problem with completing back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad causing problem with completing back up: How do I delete/move files from Notepad? My system will not fully backup to the external drive because 3 files, apparently in Notepad, consistently are skipped. However, when I open Notepad, I can't find any files....