Windows 10: Problems configuring file share

Discus and support Problems configuring file share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello looking for some help, I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop. I want to be able to share all the files on my secondary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thammondwis, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Problems configuring file share

Hello looking for some help,

I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop. I want to be able to share all the files on my secondary hard drive on my desktop and all the files on my main drive on my laptop. So I had the network setup and the drives shared and everything appeared to be working fine.

I tested it by using file explorer on my laptop to navigate into a specific directory on the secondary drive on my desktop and was able to open and view a pdf file.

Later I tried to do copy a file from the desktop secondary drive via the laptop but could not access anything on my desktop. In file explorer on my laptop, it could see the desktop but I could not access any folders on it. I don't know if I changed something to cause this or if this was some type of WIN 10 issue.

After a lot of "messing around" with both computers, I can now access; Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos folders (these are located on my secondary drive) on my desktop but nothing more. I have no issues with file sharing the other direction as I can access all the files on my laptop via my desktop.

PS: What's the dea typing on this forum. tried using two different copters to tpe this mssage and boh times this is wat I get. (example of all the missing characters when I try and type on this forum). Very time consuming and frustrating.

Tim

:)

thammondwis, Jul 15, 2017

2. Using File History to "Keep Saved Versions" :The correct sequence of steps?

Greetings,

I have a question about the correct sequence of steps, for this situation. I'll present the two versions, here. Would a Microsoft engineer who's good with Windows 10, please help with this? I think version two is "more correct" since you would probably
    turn File History on ...first, and then configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting. Can you help?

Version 1:

* Create a network share, configure NTFS, and then share permissions.

* Configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting.

* Turn on File History

Version 2:

* Create a network share, configure NTFS, and then share permissions.

* Turn on File History

* Configure the "Keep Saved Versions" setting.

JonGermany-Bey, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Filipyno Win User
    Problem with applications

2nd problem..when i write dpkg --configure -a,terminal says:

Conf tuxrace (0.4 Extras:2.0/fremantle-1.3, Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle)

Conf vuvuzela (0.3-6 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)

--- 2011-01-05 23:25:38 ---

/usr/bin/apt-get -qy --allow-unauthenticated -o DPkg:Problems configuring file share :eek:ptions::=--force-confnew -o Dir::Etc::sourcelist=/opt/fapman-cache/sources.list -o Dir::State::lists=/opt/fapman-cache/lists -o Dir::Etc::sourceparts="" --auto-remove install active-desktop-sp- canola2-theme-flatred-
    canola2- catorisegui- call-locker- jspeed- catorise- dicer- callnotify-

Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

The following packages will be REMOVED:

active-desktop-sp call-locker callnotify canola2 canola2-theme-flatred

catorise catorisegui dicer jspeed

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 9 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

11 not fully installed or removed.

After this operation, 4502kB disk space will be freed.

(Reading database ... 32724 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing active-desktop-sp ...

Removing call-locker ...

Removing callnotify ...

Removing canola2-theme-flatred ...

Removing canola2 ...

Removing catorisegui ...

Removing catorise ...

Removing dicer ...

Removing jspeed ...

Setting up wget (1.10.2-2osso3) ...

install-info(/usr/share/info/wget.info):

dpkg: error processing wget (--configure):

subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

Setting up libsmpeg0 (0.4.5+cvs20030824-2.3-0maemo1) ...

Optifying usr/share/doc/libsmpeg0 -> /opt/maemo/usr/share/doc/libsmpeg0

mv: cannot rename '/usr/share/doc/libsmpeg0': No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing libsmpeg0 (--configure):

subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Setting up lockdaemon (0.0.6-1) ...

directory exists

cp: cannot stat '/tmp/mce.ini': No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing lockdaemon (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-pygame:

python-pygame depends on libsmpeg0; however:

Package libsmpeg0 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing python-pygame (--configure):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Setting up tcl8.5 (8.5.8-2maemo2) ...

update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/share/man/man1/tclsh.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /etc/alternatives/tclsh.1: No such file or directory

update-alternatives: ignoring error.

mv: cannot rename '/usr/share/man/man1/tclsh.1.gz.dpkg-tmp': No such file or directory

update-alternatives: unable to install /usr/share/man/man1/tclsh.1.gz.dpkg-tmp as /usr/share/man/man1/tclsh.1.gz: No such file or directory

update-alternatives: ignoring error.

Optifying usr/share/doc/tcl8.5 -> /opt/maemo/usr/share/doc/tcl8.5

mv: cannot rename '/usr/share/doc/tcl8.5': No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing tcl8.5 (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nitdroid-installer:

nitdroid-installer depends on wget; however:

Package wget is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing nitdroid-installer (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of omnom:

omnom depends on python-pygame; however:

Package python-pygame is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing omnom (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of snapy:

snapy depends on python2.5-pygame; however:

Package python2.5-pygame is not installed.

Package python-pygame which provides python2.5-pygame is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing snapy (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of stopwatch:

stopwatch depends on python2.5-pygame; however:

dpkg: error processing stopwatch (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tuxrace:

tuxrace depends on tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0); however:

Package tcl8.5 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing tuxrace (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vuvuzela:

vuvuzela depends on python2.5-pygame; however:

dpkg: error processing vuvuzela (--configure):

Errors were encountered while processing:

wget

libsmpeg0

lockdaemon

python-pygame

tcl8.5

nitdroid-installer

omnom

snapy

stopwatch

tuxrace

vuvuzela

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Filipyno, Jul 15, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Problems configuring file share

Hey thammondwis,
    Check the NTFS Permission on the Shared Drive or Folder ... right click > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions ... Make sure the Group / User has Full Control. You might need to Add Everyone and give it Full Control.

Eagle51, Jul 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the help Eagle51.

I checked that on both computers. Both have only 1 user (Everyone) in the group/username section. Is that OK? Both computers do have the user Everyone already set to Full Control.

thammondwis, Jul 16, 2017
  6. Still no joy and looking for help. One thing I noticed is that the network screen on File Explorer is noticeably different between my Desktop and Laptop. Not sure if this helps diagnose my issues any.

So on my Desktop when I open File Explorer and click on Network from the left window pane. At the top of the main window pane I have a section called Computer. In that section are icons for my Desktop computer, my Laptop computer, and also WDMyCloud which is an external cloud accessible hard drive hooked up to my network.

However on my Laptop, I don't have the Computer section at all. It's not that the Computer section has no icons, it's that there is no computer section. It starts with Media Devices.

thammondwis, Jul 17, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Are you trying to connect to a complete drive or a share? By default a lot of drives are assigned a hidden share prefixed with $ .Open a cmd prompt type net share

post results

Samuria, Jul 17, 2017
  8. Problems configuring file share

Thanks for the help Samuria,

Attached is the results. I don't necessarily need to share the entire drive if that will be more difficult.

Problems configuring file share [​IMG]

The drive I a trying o share is E:

9. Eagle51 Win User
    On my shared folders (properties > sharing > advanced sharing > permissions) I have 2 entries ...
    Everyone - Full Control
    Administrators - Full Control

On my shared folders (right click > share with > specific people) I have 2 entries ...
    eagle - owner
    Everyone - Read/Write

Note: I use a Local Account as Admin and I'm only sharing certain folders on my D: drive ... NOT the whole drive.

Eagle51, Jul 17, 2017
  10. I made a few changes based on your post Eagle51 and it worked,,,for a little while.

Under the permissions I added Administrator with full control on both computers.

For specific people there is no option for that at the drive level, but on my desktop computer I setup a number of folders with the settings as you described (my username as owner and everyone with read/write).

I did one more thing, I renamed the desktop computer. It was named DESKTOP -xxxxxxx (don't remember the xxxxxx exactly but I think it was my motherboard model number), to just DESKTOP.

I then restarted both computers. And I could access with full control the shared drives on both computers form either computer. That was late last night. I went to bed and when I opened up the computers this morning I am back to where I was before in that I can't access the Desktop computer's shared drive from the Laptop computer. I don't get it?????

11. OK, I think I have it back working correctly ...at least for now!

What I did:

From File Explorer on my Laptop computer, I clicked on "This PC" icon in the left window pane. I noticed then that in the main window pane in the section labeled "network locations", there was an icon labeled L: xxxxx@xxx.com (desktop-yyyyy). The xxxx represent my email address. The yyyyy are from the previous computer name for my desktop. Because that is an old comuter name I decided to try and remove it. I right clicked on that icon and selected remove device. It then created a new icon labeled with "my email address (desktop)".

I then clicked on the "Network" icon in the left window pane and right clicked on a blank spot on the main window pane and selected refresh. After refreshing, It added icons for the Desktop Computer and the external MyCloud hard drive and I have full access to the Desktop computer shared drive.

I will report back later on if anything changes again. Fingers crossed.

thammondwis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems configuring file share

1. Problems configuring file share - Similar Threads - Problems configuring file

2. File Sharing Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Problems: I need to share all my files on my PC and two Laptops but I am having problems with my new Laptop. As with my previous Laptop which failed and had to be replaced I cannot get the section including "Always keep on the device" on One Drive. A simple answer was given previously...
  3. File Sharing problems

File Sharing problems: I am connecting my Mac and PC to share files between the two. I have everything set up. I can see the server I can connect to it. But i cannot sign into it. it is asking for a password to a user that while it matches me does not match my username or password of the computer i...
  4. File sharing problem

File sharing problem: I have two PCs on a router at home. They the only thing connected to the router. I try to share files between the two. Let's call them A and B. Both have been updated to the latest Win Pro 10. From A, I can see the files shared by B, however, on B I can not see the files...
  5. File sharing problem in the Intranet

File sharing problem in the Intranet: We have a shared folder in the Intranet. And most of us can access it without any problem. But some of the people just can't access it. The run \\10.*.*.* in Run and there comes the error message. Seems it's trying to find the link on local PC. [ATTACH] And I also tried...
  6. Networking & File Sharing problems

Networking & File Sharing problems: I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but...
  7. File sharing problem

File sharing problem: I use Windows 10, version 1709 and have seen a file sharing problem for the last few weeks. The shared files are displayed but sometimes some files like MS Office and pdf format are slow to open....
  8. Network file sharing problems

Network file sharing problems: I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access...
  9. File Sharing Problem with Mac

File Sharing Problem with Mac: My old set up was windows 7 desktop and Mac OS Yosemite MacBook air (MBA), Both computers can share files. My desktop was connected to an Ethernet modem/wired and my MBA wifi is access via wireless router, Everything is working and I replaced my desktop w/ new Win machine w/...
  10. Printer Problems and File Share Problems

Printer Problems and File Share Problems: After upgrading to Windows 10 I had printer problems with my wireless HP printer. I could print from the laptop but not the desktop. The desktop installation had deleted the IP address to the printer. I had to re-install it from disk and do some tinkering. Now both printers...