Windows 10: Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login

Discus and support Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, after some 4 years in IT I finally decided to try all whistles and bells of Microsoft account login for my new laptop. Nice...instead of password... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AndrejPirman, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login

Hi,

after some 4 years in IT I finally decided to try all whistles and bells of Microsoft account login for my new laptop. Nice...instead of password I have Authenticator now and PIN as authentication method ...ok, now nobody will ever convince me, that 4-digit PIN can be more secure as random-length-random-case alphanumernic password and it works.

At least for first 2 days.

On day 2 as a sysadmin I wanted to RDP login to my laptop remotelly. And voila!....PROBLEM:

No matter which username and password combo I use, I cannot login - I get "wrong password every time".

I can see port 3389 is open.

I do get prompt for username & password

But anything I enter, fails with wrong credentials error

Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login 3d959e07-41ee-4fdd-a7a5-86cf854ab56d?upload=true.jpg Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login 6239d363-3cf2-4195-ac68-d2ec54b4e309?upload=true.jpg

Tried:

• *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with MS account password --> FAIL
    • *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with local PC password --> FAIL
    • *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with PIN --> FAIL
    • my username with password --> FAIL
    • my username with PIN --> FAIL

Tried with or without NLA, but at no avail --> FAIL

Any other idea?

:)

AndrejPirman, Apr 19, 2021
  2. cereberus Win User

Cannot consistently rdp to remote desktop session

Normally if I RDP to an active remote desktop with only my single user account with admin rights, remote desktop signs out, and I connect via rdp no problem.

However recently, it does not sign out out remote user, and the (RDP lient jumps to a OTHER USER login screen.

What is odd is that this is not consistent. Sometime it works, sometimes it does not. It has been fine until last couple of days.

Does anybody know what is going on?

cereberus, Apr 19, 2021
  3. RDP connection fails from Microsoft account to Local Admin account

Issue:

• Windows 10 Pro desktop cannot connect to another Windows 10 Pro desktop on the same wired network.
    Details:

• When connection is attempted, an error states the credentials are invalid.
    • The credentials entered are the local admin account on the target computer.
      • Computer attempting the connection is logged into the Microsoft account.
    • When both computers were running Windows 7 Pro - there were no RDP issues.
    Troubleshooting:

• Confirmed credentials are correct and CAPS is turned off.
    • Firewall rule for Remote Desktop is enabled and option is enabled in the System Properties.
      • Connection to target computer is successful using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S that is connected to the WLAN.
    • Downloaded Remote Desktop app from the Windows Store.
      • Encounter the same "Invalid Credentials" error as the Remote Desktop Connection software.
    • Updated firmware for router (Netgear R6300).
    • Power cycled both desktops.
    Resolution:

• Logging into the Microsoft account on the remote computer resolved the issue.
    Conclusion:

• When you're trying to establish a Remote Desktop Connection from a computer that is logged into your Microsoft account to a computer that is logged in to the Local Admin account, the connection will fail stating the credentials are invalid.

afluxnions, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login

Office 365 Account for Remote Desktop Access

I am trying to login to my Windows 10 computer using Microsoft's Remote Desktop client (RDP). I am able to login using a local account, but, I am not able to login using my O365 business account. I have checked the remote access settings, and my O365 account
    is listed as being able to login remotely. What am I missing?

Jack Nash (jnash), Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login

1. Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login - Similar Threads - Problems connecting RDP

2. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  3. Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing: Remote Desktop Connection RDP is not fully disconnecting/closing, it just goes to a full black screen and then I have to use Task Manager to 'End Task' to get to close out....
  4. Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem: Hi, about 2 weeks ago the Microsoft Remote Desktop OS X and iPhone versions only return with a blue screen with text please wait when I try to connect to my workstation.If I restart the workstation I can connect to it again, but as soon I connect via an another Windows remote...
  5. RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10

RDP Remote Desktop cannot connect on Win10: I'm a computer programmer and I can't debug this stupid thing! Both my Win10 and Win7 local PCs can ping and see each other network drives. But none can RDP to another! Giving the notorious '3 dumb reasons' excuse none of which applies, of course. Now, I don't want 'try...
  6. Microsoft Remote Desktop NOT RDP -- Multiple Monitors

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Remote Desktop NOT RDP -- Multiple Monitors: Hi, I am trying to use Microsoft Remote Desktop RD that you install from Microsoft Store, not Remote Desktop Connection across two monitors. I have looked everywhere, and cannot see anywhere to make it possible. Thanks in advance....
  7. Remote Desktop connection problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop connection problems: Hi all, I have a problem with connecting using Remote Desktop on my computers. Lets call them Desktop and Laptop. Desktop is running Win10 Pro. I want to connect to Desktop using Laptop, but my credentials keep failing. I am using the same Microsoft account on both computers,...
  8. Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem

Microsoft Remote Desktop connection problem: Hi there, It happened many times, when I connect to RDC, the blue screen appears with "Please wait", then the blank screen appears. The blank screen will be there no matter how long I wait until I have to exit from RDC by the blue bar on top, try to re-entries many times...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection problems

Remote Desktop Connection problems: New thread. I did not want to clutter up the one I was in any more after being advised it was borderline hijack. My apologies. Problem I am facing seems simple to me, but apparently is not: I run a research facility at a university. I have 2 computers, 1 LAB desktop that...
  10. remote desktop connection problem ...

remote desktop connection problem ...: disconnect 1-2 min say "login another user" i have win 10 pro im change remote resvices session time limit and another method but not solved.... my englis is bad sory for this... 24493