Windows 10: Problems creating Windows system image backups

Discus and support Problems creating Windows system image backups in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been trying to create system image backups using the Windows backup utility. (A waste of time, perhaps, since I have Acronis TI 2015 that seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pokeefe0001, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Problems creating Windows system image backups

I've been trying to create system image backups using the Windows backup utility. (A waste of time, perhaps, since I have Acronis TI 2015 that seems to work without any problem, but I consider this part of getting familiar with Windows 10.)

The backup creation worked fine on a relatively new PC, but it hangs up on an older PC. It doesn't show any errors; it just stops doing I/O. I tried it twice. It got farther the 2nd time according to the progress bar, but both hung up. The process was awake enough to notice I had clicked on Cancel so that the progress window said "Stopping", but that hung. So I decided to shut down Windows. That hung ... but it did mention that an Acronis function was still active and would end in 2 minutes. That message went away (after about 2 minutes) the the Shutting down screen never went away so I eventually powered off.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

:)

pokeefe0001, Mar 15, 2016

2. creating system image backup

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you deactivate one of the active partitions first before performing the image backup. You can check the steps to deactivate the partition on this link:

How to deactivate an active partition?

We strongly recommend that you perform a full backup before doing this procedure.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Mar 15, 2016
  3. JSFCHD Win User
    creating system image backup

Yes, your are right. Issue persists for external hard drive as well as computer.

JSFCHD, Mar 15, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Problems creating Windows system image backups

There were many reports of Windows 10 imaging not working correctly. In your case, I would use Acronis. I use free Macrium.

5. Ok. As I said in another thread, I'll stop worrying. (But don't expect me to actually stop. *Smile)

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems creating Windows system image backups

1. Problems creating Windows system image backups - Similar Threads - Problems creating system

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to create a system image backup

Unable to create a system image backup: I just updated my Windows 10 version to the May update today after the new update showed up in my windows updates. After installing the new Windows 10 May update I tried to make a system image of my hard drive onto my external 1TB external hard drive but I keep getting an...
  9. Create backup system image

Create backup system image: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  10. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...