Windows 10: Problems downloading with Edge

Discus and support Problems downloading with Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Whenever I try to download anything with Edge it says "couldn't be downloaded". Every single time. For example: [img] When I click on... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lx07, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Problems downloading with Edge

Whenever I try to download anything with Edge it says "couldn't be downloaded". Every single time.

For example:

Problems downloading with Edge [​IMG]

When I click on "Retry" it is always downloaded but replaces the "." before the file type with a "_".

This is what ends up in my "Downloads" folder.

So if I want to download anything I have to click on "Retry" and then go to my "Downloads" folder and rename "xxxx_zip" to "xxx.zip".

Is there a way around this? It is the "retry" that bugs me most - I understand the renaming so you don't run it by mistake - but both are a little annoying.

:)

2. "WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" wont upgrade to windows 10 keep getting this error

How do I fix it??? "WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" wont upgrade to windows 10 keep getting this error

Downloading problems, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Nokia phone download problem

Hi all, I have just acquired a Nokia Lumia 625, and am trying to download Skype from the Microsoft shop. Two things happen -- either Microsoft does not recognise the password for my newly acquired account (although it does accept it when I access it from
    my PC), or I get an error code message, 8009030e. Very frustrating... Thanks for any help!

Problems with Microsoft, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Problems downloading with Edge

The Fast and Simple answer is "Don't even bother!" as the best advice anyone can give you for Edge at the present time! Edge is still far from being a working replacement for IE! The Fast and Easy solution is to browse the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder and right click to pin to Start and even the main task bar on the iexplorer.exe file itself and once you start up IE 11 see that set as the default browser. From there you should be able to download just about anything.

Edge itself is still in it's infancy and when trying to work with it here I actually had to stretch the bookmarks out across the second monitor in order to simply click and drag bookmarks to reorganize them somewhat since you couldn't simply drag one up as the first in the order! No delete option found either! It's not ready but presently only a preview form of a browser!

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Thanks for that. I do in fact sometimes give up and use IE but I'd like to use Edge when possible.

I was just wondering if there is a setting I've missed or it just works like this at the moment.

6. It shouldn't work like that... It doesn't on my system.

fracking4oil, Sep 27, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    Well I thought it was odd. I'm using this version (from bottom of settings). You have the same?

I haven't changed anything relevant that I can think of... I've also clean installed recently but it works the same - I have to "retry" to start the download and then rename the downloaded file in "D:\Users\Hali\Downloads" to swap the underscore for a dot.

8. Problems downloading with Edge

The download option will remain glued to the user account downloads folder by MS design there. Once Edge is finished you then should be able to change settings as far as the automatic save or use the save as option to browse just where you want the download to go the same as you would presently see with IE 11. For other browsers like Firefox, the 64bit Waterfox alternate used here, Opera, Chrome each having their own save to or prompt to save where type options.

If you are running the 64bit flavor of 10 but still want the 32bit IE 11 then instead of going into the Program Files folder you would alternate to the Program Files(x86) folder instead to go into the Internet Explorer folder and right click on the 32bit iexplorer.exe executable file there to see that pinned instead. Or you can simply opt for any other browser to substitute for IE even while you will likely need to use that for initially downloading any alternate.

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    That wasn't the question - I know we can't change the download location yet..

The question was if others have to click on "retry" and then rename the downloaded item.

10. Yes, I have the same version of Edge... I've never even seen the retry button and my download folder has been changed to my hard drive (E:/) as well. You could try an in-place upgrade to see if it repairs this issue.

fracking4oil, Sep 27, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    Oh well, thanks for that. It isn't a big deal really but clearly the rename is deliberate. I happens for everything I download - not just that site - I get "xxx_exe", "xxx_zip", "xxx_diagcab".

I wonder why.

12. Well I stated earlier......

Take a look at Edge. Do some web surfing with it. But don't expect much of anything else out of it for the present time. It's simply not ready to be a full time replacement for any browser including IE at this time. But do you expect with a freebie you didn't have to pay for until the end of next July when I suspect the finished version of Edge will be presented with the paid for 10!

Presently Edge along with 10 is being provided as a means of getting a general feeling of how 10 will be received as well as the feedback indicating where people seem to end up having problems as well as the likes and dislikes about the new version. After 8 and 8.1 went astray from the huge success 7 saw MS needs to see 10 make into another winner to continue on from where 7 left off!

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

But that doesn't answer the question in the OP. Saying don't use it is of no help really.

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    That is it. It works for @fracking4oil (no re-naming of downloads, no need to "retry", same version of Edge) but not for me.

I'm not asking "what is the best browser" - just what is happening here (and if it is only me)...

15. BunnyJ New Member
    I tried to recreate the error but I didn't have a bit of luck. If I can I'll post some suggestion.. I hope someone can help you out with an answer to your issue. One thing to consider is doing a clean install of your current build.. yes.. that's a PITA.. but heck.. it might fix the issue..

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Problems downloading with Edge - Similar Threads - Problems downloading Edge

2. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem: I've been downloading to my desktop for years. All has been going on well until a couple of days ago. I downloaded a file with A following the name, and it appeared on the desktop. Then I downloaded a second part of the file, using a B following the name. It's in the Desktop...
  3. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem: I've been downloading to my desktop for years. All has been going on well until a couple of days ago. I downloaded a file with A following the name, and it appeared on the desktop. Then I downloaded a second part of the file, using a B following the name. It's in the Desktop...
  4. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem downloading in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Problem downloading in Edge: When I try to download files in Edge i get a message that file will cause damage if I try to download in Firefox it downloads straight away. i have checked settings in edge but cannot find any thing to change settings is their one that is blocking the downloads 181931
  6. Problem downloading in Edge

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem downloading in Edge: When I try to download files in Edge i get a message that file will cause damage if I try to download in Firefox it downloads straight away. i have checked settings in edge but cannot find any thing to change settings is their one that is blocking the downloads 181931
  7. edge download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    edge download: why did edge get forced downloaded on to my computer. It hasn't worked the multiple times I've tried to install it and now you can't delete it unless you go into command prompt on the C drive. why are you so arrogant in the fact that you feel you need to force this on...
  8. Edge download problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge download problems: I am using Windows 10 version 1903 and Microsoft Edge. I set edge to download to a common folder … C:\all\ … It was working fine for weeks. No matter what website I downloaded from all the downloads went to the common folder. All of sudden (can't remember when it started)...
  9. Downloading in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Downloading in Edge: I'm attempting to download Win 10 64-bit Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website. On the Nvidia driver search page, after I've selected the search parameters and conducted the driver search, I come to an download button page. I click the download button and I arrive at an...
  10. Download on Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Download on Edge: [img] It was downloading even if it couldn't reach page... LOL.. 104403