Windows 10: Problems downloading with Edge

Discus and support Problems downloading with Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Again, I have to suggest doing an in-place upgrade, you'll be able to save everything if you choose and the installer may update giving you a more... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lx07, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Problems downloading with Edge

I tried the in-place upgrade. Didn't help. The problem is moving your user folders using sysprep.

It did work on legacy Windows versions (not that Edge existed of course) but sysprep doesn't work reliably on 10240.

If you have existing accouts then sysprep corrupts your Edge profile in %localappdata%/Packages and I can't find a way to replace (even parts of it) that works. I've tried replacing some or all from a new account but it didn't work. The only solution that worked for me is to delete the existing account and make a new one.

All new accounts are fine. Any that existed before moving with sysprep have this issue.

2. The next step would be the obvious for simply nuking the present account you are having the problem with and see if creating the same account only brand new will solve the problem. That makes a bit more sense then going with a repair install of 10 when this is only seen with one account.

Here I never even use Sysprep but simply slap a clean install of any version of Windows on when and if it should become buggy! Sysprep is something you tend to use more for server application as well as corporate deployment over the home desktop to begin with. The very top of one blog seen at The WIndows Club quoted here for example explains how that works. How to use Sysprep Tool in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

The MS Answers as well as TechNet and MSDN forums have a number of threads regarding problems withe Sysprep on the TP builds as well as on the present RTM.

Night Hawk, Sep 28, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    I already marked this solved with the solution, thanks anyways.

4. lx07 Win User

This problem re-occurred and at the same time Edge started freezing when opening some new pages.

In case it is of use to someone else it can be resolved by deleting the following file (instead of creating new user):

%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat

As counters.dat is locked need to change the value of the key Cache at "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" to something else, reboot, delete the INetCache folder and then change the key back. The folder is recreated automatically in the location specified on the key.

5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was having the same problem you posted in the original message, evidently because I changed a user's username and folder name. It's weird that this would cause that problem, but it's solved now thanks to you!!!

Incidentally, I logged out of the account I was having problems with, logged into my account and deleted the folder from there rather than messing with the registry. It work just as well.

Again, thank you! *Smile

DesertRambler, Dec 26, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You are right - deleting it is easier. It seems to break for me every few weeks and I'm not sure what I do to cause it. Deleting the INetCache folder from another account is quick and easy fix.

7. @lx07
    Just wanted to post to say "Thank you" as well. I had this problem today and it drove me nuts till I found your post!

@DesertRambler
    Handy approach you have to the problem as well! Kudos

ComputerGeek, Jan 25, 2016
  8. 4on4off Win User

Very interesting.

4on4off, Apr 8, 2016
  9. 4on4off Win User
    Nice read.

4on4off, Apr 8, 2016
  10. TDOZ Win User
    I have had similar issues, but not fixed by the INETCACHE removal. As I had a full clone backup on another disk in the desktop, (taken prior to the problem state)I decided to try the MS Support route, via the CHAT and remote support. Interestingly, the support tech used this program:<br>Windows Repair (All In One) Download <br>It did a LOT of stuff (he ticked just a few items in the "tool set" main GUI, related to EDGE and apps) - and it took over an hour (he disconnected once it was running). It needed a restart, and although it did not do any other apps or system damage, it actually made the EDGE browser worse (in that it only stayed active for a few seconds, then crashed and exited).<br><br>For some problems, that (AIO "All In One") fixer might work for specific problems, but as MS level are a continuous moving target, I would advise that anyone contemplating using it, has a full backup, or ideally, a full bootable clone from a known working state before using it, AND ensure you have the latest version (always check for updates from the AIO site before using it).

Thema:

1. Problems downloading with Edge - Similar Threads - Problems downloading Edge

2. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem: I've been downloading to my desktop for years. All has been going on well until a couple of days ago. I downloaded a file with A following the name, and it appeared on the desktop. Then I downloaded a second part of the file, using a B following the name. It's in the Desktop...
  3. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem: I've been downloading to my desktop for years. All has been going on well until a couple of days ago. I downloaded a file with A following the name, and it appeared on the desktop. Then I downloaded a second part of the file, using a B following the name. It's in the Desktop...
  4. Download to Desktop in Win 10 and Edge Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem downloading in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Problem downloading in Edge: When I try to download files in Edge i get a message that file will cause damage if I try to download in Firefox it downloads straight away. i have checked settings in edge but cannot find any thing to change settings is their one that is blocking the downloads 181931
  6. Problem downloading in Edge

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem downloading in Edge: When I try to download files in Edge i get a message that file will cause damage if I try to download in Firefox it downloads straight away. i have checked settings in edge but cannot find any thing to change settings is their one that is blocking the downloads 181931
  7. edge download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    edge download: why did edge get forced downloaded on to my computer. It hasn't worked the multiple times I've tried to install it and now you can't delete it unless you go into command prompt on the C drive. why are you so arrogant in the fact that you feel you need to force this on...
  8. Edge download problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge download problems: I am using Windows 10 version 1903 and Microsoft Edge. I set edge to download to a common folder … C:\all\ … It was working fine for weeks. No matter what website I downloaded from all the downloads went to the common folder. All of sudden (can't remember when it started)...
  9. Downloading in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Downloading in Edge: I'm attempting to download Win 10 64-bit Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website. On the Nvidia driver search page, after I've selected the search parameters and conducted the driver search, I come to an download button page. I click the download button and I arrive at an...
  10. Download on Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Download on Edge: [img] It was downloading even if it couldn't reach page... LOL.. 104403