Windows 10: Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10

Discus and support Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm no pro by the way guys so go easy :) So for 10 years or so i have had 2 Windows 7 installs on a dual boot / multi boot and before that the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotaClue, Apr 12, 2020.

1. NotaClue Win User

Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10

I'm no pro by the way guys so go easy Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10 :)

So for 10 years or so i have had 2 Windows 7 installs on a dual boot / multi boot and before that the same with XP. To save time we'll not get in to the whys and why nots. I appreciate it's not the usual dual boot setup, you usually have different OS. These were always on the same key.

So this week i went to do the exact same with Windows 10. No joy. Windows 10 installs but whichever partition is not the default, it restarts before booting to Windows. So say we have partitions for Bill & Ben. Bill is default.
    You get to the dual boot screen, you press enter on Bill as the default & it accesses Windows. No problem. You then restart.
    You get to the dual boot screen, drop down to access Ben's Windows 10 partition, the PC then restarts and once it goes through the motions it eventually accesses Windows 10 for Ben.

I tried ....

* Creating the second partition on the install page.
    * Installing Windows 10 to the drive as 1 partition, accessing disk management once up and running, shrinking the volume and then installing to that new partition.
    * Creating 2 partitions on the same physical drive
    * Installing to 2 separate physical drives
    * Disabling Fast Startup via the control panel: How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) | Windows Central
    * Disabling Quick Start in my BIOS

I did a brand new install for each of those scenarios. I got the same result.

I think what may be helpful is that as said earlier, Bill is default. If i go in to msconfig or BCDEdit and switch it so that Ben is now the default partition and Bill is the one who is second then the problem partition changes. So...
    before Bill would be default and boot no problem, Ben would be secondary and would restart.
    ...but if you change the default then Ben is now default and accesses Windows perfectly fine whereas Bill now restarts before accessing Windows.

So the issue to me doesn't seem to be with one specific partition, more about which one is not default.

So then i tried dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 10.....

* I install Windows 7.
    * Once up and running i access disk management, shrink the volume. Restart
    * Install Windows 10 to the new partition just created.

Windows 10 is now the default, right?
    Windows 10 boots perfectly fine. Restart the PC to test Windows 7.
    Get to the dual boot screen, drop down to select Windows 7 .... PC restarts itself before eventually loading Windows 7.

Really looking for some help on how to sort this problem out. And before anyone suggests it .... no thank you to a Virtual Machine. Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10 :)

:)

NotaClue, Apr 12, 2020
  2. jbb_user Win User

Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Seabottom Win User
    Installed Win7 as dualboot. Now Win10 won't boot due to corruption

Here's what I did to get this issue:
    - With EasyBCD, create new entry on newly shrinked and partioned HDD space for Win7
    - Install Win7 from USB
    - On the first reboot of the install, the pc boots from the USB again as if its forgotten that it just initialized win7.
    - I figure whatever and try to install it again and now only my external HDD is displayed in the list of available storage.
    - Went into BIOS to try and force boot from the installed HDD, but only my USB was showing so neither of my 2x HDD and 1x SSD were detected.
    - Pull out USB and exit BIOS without saving changes.
    - Tells me there is nothing to boot from at all.
    - I press the reset button on my PC
    - Now I get 2x Win7 entries and 1x Win10 entry. I select the first win7 entry which apparently was the right one.
    - Proceeded to finish installation of Win7 with no USB plugged in.
    - The 2nd win7 entry disappeared after the 2nd install reboot

Now here's the strange part, when I select win10 to boot, I get the "windows is loading files" screen as if I were going to install win7 but once the grey loading bar hits the end, the win10 logo pops into place and then the loading dots in the bottom of the screen are overlaid on top of the win7 loading bar, its looking really strange and then it proceeds to boot into the blue "fix my PC" screen.
    I tried to repair for boot failure but that didn't work.

How can I fix my boot? Don't tell me I have to do a clean win10 install please.

Seabottom, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Jonas_DK Win User

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

Original Title: Dual boot Win7 second too Win10

Hi,

Is there any way to install Win7 after Win10 for dual boot?

I don't want to reinstall in order to do it. If i have to reinstall, my laptop will not see Win10 again.

Regards Jonas

Jonas_DK, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10 - Similar Threads - Problems dual booting

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  5. Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?

Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?: I have a pretty hardcore laptop from work, which i am also allowed to use for private use, so I have installed an ekstra SSD disk in the laptop and i was wondering if it was possible to install win 10 on that one and then get an option when i boot the pc, which disk/os i want...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  8. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  9. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010