Windows 10: Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

Discus and support Problems ejecting a portable hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i have a solution for the problem with ejecting external hard drives this has worked for me on my windows 10 computer. when typing use lower case... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thomasholroyd1, May 12, 2020.

1. Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

i have a solution for the problem with ejecting external hard drives this has worked for me on my windows 10 computer.

when typing use lower case letters and leave out the brackets .

i have use capital letters in parts so it is easier for all people to understand.

i will do it in steps.

step 1. try and eject the external hard drive. when the message pops up saying PROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE do not close it.

step 2. in the search bar type EVENT VIEWER

step 3. in Event viewer on the left side look for Windows logs then click SYSTEM

step 4. in SYSTEM tab go across to EVENT ID look for EVENT ID 225 there might be multiple EVENT ID 225 in that case it will be the top one.

when you click on it. underneath it there will be two options named GENERAL and DETAILS select general.

it will tell you what has stopped the external hard drive from ejecting. it will have your device directory and in that it will say something like.

The application\device\ the name of your external hard drive\program files\ X86\ what ever program is causing to problem.

step 5. when you have found out what program is causing the problem. openTASK MANAGER by holding thectrl+alt+delete

at the same time. then clickTASK MANAGER

step 6. inTASK MANGER go to thePROCESSES TAB scroll down until you get toBACK GROUND PROCESSES when there find the program name that was inEVENT VIEWER click on it and end task.

step 6. close thePROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE

that popped up and now try ejecting the external hard drive again if the previous message doesnt pop up again you have fix the problem and the hard drive will eject properly.

step 7. if the problem happens the next time you turn on your computer just remember the program that caused the problem and go to TASK MANAGER and end the same task as before. if the problem happens after then just repeat the step i have laid out and you will be able to find what other program could be the problem.

if when you have tried these steps and you still have a problem chances are it could be a hardware problem with either the external hard drive or the computer its self.

i hope this post will help people out to fix the problem.

please comment if you need further assistance.

thank you.

thomas.

:)

thomasholroyd1, May 12, 2020

2. No EJECT option to safely eject a portable hard drive Windows 10 system

No EJECT option to safely eject a portable hard drive but if i connect a USB stick there is. How do i safely eject the Portable Hard Drive.

Andrew Calleja, May 12, 2020
  3. Travannah Win User
    Problems ejecting a portable hard drive

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Idea Center desktop running Windows 10 latest release. I use a couple of external hard drives with this PC and one of them is giving me a problem. The drive is one which I removed from a laptop a while back and now have in an USB 3.0

external HDD enclosure. It is is described as a ASMedia ASMT105 Disk Device. The drive works well to store and retrieve my data, the problem shows itself when I try to eject the device from the computer. I always use the "Safely remove hardware and eject
    media" utility to perform this procedure, but when I press enter on this particular drive, I have the following message pop up, "---------------------------

Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device

---------------------------

Windows can't stop your 'Volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later.

---------------------------

OK

---------------------------". There are no other programs running except Windows as I can tell, so what's the problem here? If I restart my computer before trying to eject the drive, then I do not receive the message, but I do not receive the expected "Safe
    to remove ..." message either, if I go back to the utility, I see that the drive is no longer showing in the list. Please, can someone offer me an answer as to why this is happening with this one drive and not others? Thanks.

Michael

Travannah, May 12, 2020
  4. Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

Problems ejecting a portable hard drive

When this happens to me, I do either of the following if I don't want to restart.

Press Windows key + X

Click Task Manager

Select the Processes tab

Scroll down and select Windows Explorer

Right click it then click Restart

Try ejecting the drive again.

If that does not work, try Hibernating.

wait about 1 minute then start up again, then try ejecting again.

Usually why this happens is applications that were using files on the drive might still be resident in memory and you need to ensure they are exited properly.

The following article, which references Windows 7, provides some tips you can do to ensure the drive ejects properly and what might be causing it:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/safe-remove-us...

Andre Da Costa, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

1. Problems ejecting a portable hard drive. - Similar Threads - Problems ejecting portable

2. Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download Photos to Portable Hard Drive: I am wanting to just export my photos to an portable hard drive, but "OneDrive" isn't allowing me to access my photos. I keep getting the message "We sent your device a notification to connect." I don't have admin access to my computer, as it is a work computer, so I can't...
  3. Portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  4. Portable hard drive visible but not accessible

Portable hard drive visible but not accessible: Hey tech wizards! A Seagate freeagent go successfully accessed five days ago now shows up in file explorer as the Local Disk D: and Windows 10 dings when attached via USB. Selecting the drive produces the circle of death and progress bar in file explorer's drive path. In...
  5. hard drive not ejecting.

hard drive not ejecting.: The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4592 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25A2\57583831414336394B4A5659. how do i force eject, concidering how useless...
  6. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  7. Problem ejecting hard disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem ejecting hard disk: Hi I have been using my laptop for 2 years now And I have an external hard disk I was even using that for a while now on my computer But recently when I plugged in my hard disk and after using it when I clicked on eject This message poped up The...
  8. Problem ejecting hard disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem ejecting hard disk: Hi I have been using my laptop for 2 years now And I have an external hard disk I was even using that for a while now on my computer But recently when I plugged in my hard disk and after using it when I clicked on eject This message poped up The...
  9. Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....

Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....: Is it safe to keep hard drives and flash drives connected all the time (Windows 10), even when shutting down everyday ... ? Or should I use the Eject feature to be safe ... ? 128834
  10. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...