Windows 10: Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop

Discus and support Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently had to travel, and several times had to leave my laptop unattended. This made me realize how vulnerable it was to theft, so I have decided... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by imrazor, Jul 29, 2018.

1. imrazor Win User

Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop

I recently had to travel, and several times had to leave my laptop unattended. This made me realize how vulnerable it was to theft, so I have decided to encrypt the drive, or at least my personal files on the drive.

The laptop (a Dell Latitude E6430) has Windows 10 Pro and Linux Fedora 28 already installed on separate drives. I've already encrypted my home folder on the Linux drive. The Linux partition shares a "data" partition formatted NTFS on the same drive that I do not wish to encrypt.

Encrypting the Linux home folder involved several steps, but the process was relatively straightforward. I'm having a lot of issues encrypting the Windows partition. I have enabled TPM and Secure Boot in the UEFI, but still cannot enable Bitlocker. Every time I try I get a message to the effect that the C: drive cannot be automatically unlocked. Googling for the error so far hasn't produced any positive results.

I also tried enabling NTFS encryption, but the process started throwing up errors when it couldn't encrypt certain files. Presumably this is because those files are in use. Can I safely encrypt my home folder while logged in as another user (this is what I had to do in Linux)?

:)

imrazor, Jul 29, 2018
  2. Flow Win User

Dual-boot Win10/7 or go back to Win 7

I run a dual boot of win7 and win10.
    I got 2x2TB barracudas and 2x512GB barracudas.
    Unfortunately I once used the 512GB drives as raid0, just to fool around and so.
    Got win 7 through an Acronis backup on the 2TB drive which runs fine, but used the raid for win8.1, again to fool around with.
    Took some hassle to remove that dual boot since I didn't liked 8.1. But now win10 on the raid, still fooling around.

Takes some work to get things corrected if I want to move win10 to a different drive, but that's ok.
    Just a bit too lazy to get an extra drive, and curious to see how long this inefficient raid setup will do actually. Only had to do a drive repair once, after installing win10 and some bsod (due to my own fault).

So my advice is to buy an extra drive, a sata3 2TB drive or whatever you can afford, and put it in dual boot.
    The nice thing about extra drives is that they last you longer because you will use 1 of them for most of the time, leaving the others reasonably intact.
    Windows 10 runs dual boot just as with previous versions, so shouldn't pose a problem.

3. newtekie1 Win User
    Datalock laptop encryption?

AFAIK, most encryptions like this change the boot sector of the hard drive to include their software encryption. So when the drive is booted, it won't boot without first entering a username and password to unlock the drive.

As I mentioned above, it asks your for a username and password, which will unlock the drive before booting Windows.

Anything is possible, but it certainly makes it a hell of a lot harder, and your normal user would not be able to do it. Since the entire drive is encrypted, even if they put it in another computer, the data would not be accesable unless they knew the encryption key.

newtekie1, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Here are my steps for dual booting:

• Create a system image - store it on an external drive

• Disconnect from the Internet and stay disconnected - part of the install asks about connecting
      - do NOT connect just yet.

• Create the space for the 2nd OS.
      This is tricky - drives initialized as MBR can only have 4 partitions (an extended partition allows for more),
      many OEMs create 4 primary parts and you have to adjust their disk schema.

Post a Disk Management screen shotClose the left and right panes
      The columns should also be stretched to clearly show the values, most important is the Status column
      If you have many drives, you might have to adjust the middle separator and drag the bottom edge of the window down to show the maximum information.
      Then in the View menu, pick Top and change it to disk list - no need to post a pic - just note the initialized format (MBR | GPT) and post the information.
    • Unless the 2nd OS will be used on a daily basis, keep the space to a minimum.
      Win10 + pgms on my machine takes up about 15 GB.
      I don't use Win10TP as my main OS - that's Win8.1, so data isn't a concern.
      30 - 50 GB is more than sufficient.

• Once the space is available - take your time here - there are traps with MBR disks.
      If your disk is initialized GPT, no problem - easy! But... MBR - make sure you know what you're doing.
      Just free up enough unallocated space,
      -> do not create a partition and do not format the space.

• When you're ready to install Win10, use a disc to avoid EFI issues.
      • Boot to the Win10 install disc (see your machine documentation on accessing the Boot Order menu at startup)

+editA
        These steps are probably NOT necessary, it was an afterthought when I installed Win10 the 3rd time as a dual boot to Vista. That is when I noticed the Win10 page file on my Vista boot drive - which caused Vista a bit of a problem (temporary page file created - yada, yada, yada) - I recreated the Win10 page file on it's own partition and then reallocated the Vista page file for good measure.

At the first Win10 install screen, Press Shift+F10
        Then enter these commands in the Console window

^^ denotes comment, not a command
        Launch Diskpart
        lis vol

^^ remove the drive letters from all drives
        ^^ it's easier if you disconnect external drives that aren't needed for this exercise.

sel vol #
        remove letter=
        ^^ specify the letter that was shown for that volume in the lis vol command
        ^^ repeat this (select volume, remove letter=) until there are no volumes with letters shown in lis vol
        lis vol
        exit
        close the Command prompt with the X in the upper right hand corner

You should be back in the Win10 install now.-editA

• Answer the questions as if you were doing a clean installation (language, region, etc)

• Choose a custom install
        When it asks you where you want to install, choose the unallocated space
        Let the install complete, the rest should be easy.

+editB
    When Win10 boots up, you shouldn't see any other drives - this is good.
    Configure the volumes for each OS - I suggest that you keep the two OSes separate, only expose the volumes you need to for each OS. Your Win7 should see everything except the Win10 volumes. Your Win10 should only see volumes you'll use in testing (i.e. what ever you create on the currently new and blank SSD).
    If you need data from your existing Win7 install, it's probably better to copy what you need than to expose your good data to Tech Preview code.
    -editB

When Win7 boots up, you will see the Win10 drive - remove the letter from that drive. Keep your system separate.

If at any step above you need some help, please ask ... you might have to wait, please wait. The hardest thing to do is wait and the easiest thing to do is "ooops, but I thought you meant...."

I think I remembered all of the steps I took - but... I'm human too *Wink

Slartybart, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop

1. Problems encrypting Win10 drive on dual-boot laptop - Similar Threads - Problems encrypting Win10

2. Remove dual boot make win10 drive bootable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remove dual boot make win10 drive bootable: I installed windows 10 on 250GB Samsung SSD and had windows 7 on a M2 Kingston 250 GB using dual booting.I now want to upgrade the windwos 10 drive to a 1 TB SSD.When I removed the M2 Win 7 OS drive the windows 10 drive would not boot. I made sure it was selected in the BIOS...
  3. Remove dual boot make win10 drive bootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove dual boot make win10 drive bootable: I installed windows 10 on 250GB Samsung SSD and had windows 7 on a M2 Kingston 250 GB using dual booting.I now want to upgrade the windwos 10 drive to a 1 TB SSD.When I removed the M2 Win 7 OS drive the windows 10 drive would not boot. I made sure it was selected in the BIOS...
  4. Remove dual boot make win10 drive bootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  6. Dual boot and format problem Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot and format problem Win10 Pro: This is a problem a lot of other people have had, and I've not found a safe and definitive way to take care of this. I installed Win10 Pro on my new build, but at the same time I had other drives installed in the case, one being an old Win7 SSD that I used on my other old...
  7. BitLocker encrypted drive- Split and dual boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker encrypted drive- Split and dual boot?: Hi All, I have a laptop running Win10 with BitLocker enabled with a 1TB SSD. Is there a way to split the SSD and dual boot another instance of Win10 without messing the initial Win10 partition? From what I've heard, this may mess up the bootloader that is on the first...
  8. Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem: I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10 on my Win7 desktop using Unallocated Space on the HDD. I thought I could have up to 4 Primary partitions, but I get this error when I try to select it. Any ideas? 146516
  9. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  10. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...