Windows 10: Problems Factory Resetting PC

Discus and support Problems Factory Resetting PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First off, lets get what I've tried out of the way. these are all the problems I encountered whilst trying to solve my issue I would like to clarify,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ross_Leung, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Problems Factory Resetting PC

First off, lets get what I've tried out of the way.

these are all the problems I encountered whilst trying to solve my issue

I would like to clarify, some of these changes were supposed to help allow the reset process to work e.g., most of the CMD commands, but some were also to get other programs/files to work that might in turn AID in restoring the reset process e.g., Windows 10 Installation in an attempt to fix troubleshooting, and restore any potentially missing files. In other words, some were direct attempts, and some were indirect.

- Trying to update windows through the 'Windows Update' in settings does NOT work, reaches 80% downloaded, then prompted with: There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x80070032'

- Under Recovery, Get Started>Keep my files>next>reset> ...then after a while: 'There was a problem resetting your PC No changes were made.'

- Under Recovery, Get Started>Remove everything>just remove my files>reset> ...then after a while: 'There was a problem resetting your PC No changes were made.'

- Tried 'cd %windir%\system32\config' + 'ren system system.001' + 'ren software software.001', to no avail.

- 'sfc /scannow' gets to 'Verification 57% complete.' and then stops there and provides the prompt: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

- 'chkdsk c:' can be ran, but it leads to: Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.

- 'dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth' gets to 5.5% complete, before the prompts: 'Error: 1392' + 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

- 'dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' gets to 4.5% complete, before the same prompts from above appear.

- 'dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup' gets to 100%complete, with the prompt: 'The operation completed successfully.

- I've tried disabling and enabling reagentc, e.g., 'reagentc /disable' AND 'reagentc /enable' to no avail.

- Tried downloading the latest supported Visual C++ downloads, nothing.

- NONE of my troubleshooting programs open, I'm prompted with: C:WINDOWS\system32\ATL.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f.

- Trying to open MSCONFIG also gives me that prompt^

- after installing Windows 10 Installation Media MediaCreationTool1909, the file doesn't open in my c: drive OR in an external USB, prompted this message: There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again'

- Windows Defender Security Center's virus and threat protection scan found 0 out of 1008577 files scanned.

- I've tried disabling Windows Firewall and deleted Malwarebytes. no luck.

- I have no system restores.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it so difficult to reset my computer? >.<

I couldn't find a solution after countless hours of searching online, so I post this question hoping to get one.

I also hypothesize that i'm perhaps missing ONE CORE file which is linked to the functionality of Windows 10.

I hope I provided adequate information, and please please help me.

thanks,

Ross Leung

:)

ross_Leung, Apr 5, 2020
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Apr 5, 2020
  3. Tankachoo Win User
    Factory Reset Windows10: There was a problem resetting your PC FIX

How to Factory Reset Windows10 or upgraded to Windows10 from Windows7 or 8.
    This is also a FIX for the ERROR: There was a problem resetting your PC.
    This fix is only for Legit Authorized Copies of Windows 7, 8, or 10.

Hey all, I upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1 when it was released for free upgrades in 2015. It is now 2016 and I wanted to Factory Reset my PC so I can start fresh again. I attempted to do it from Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Reset this PC as suggested by Microsoft but I received and error saying "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." After searching the web I found many different fixes but they all seems so involved. Making a boot flash drive or burning a DVD and use their software... There is an awesome tutorial on this forum called Windows 10 Clean Install but I like to KISS when I can (Keep It Simple Stupid) so I decided to check with Microsoft.com before I started that process.

THE SIMPLE FIX I FOUND THAT WORKED FOR ME:
    Go to: Windows 10
    Click the "Upgrade Now" button.
    Follow the prompts and you're good to go.
    Works with Windows 7, 8 and 10. Simple enough for me Problems Factory Resetting PC :)

I wasn't able to find this simple suggestion when searching the web so I felt I should post it in hopes it helps someone too Problems Factory Resetting PC :)

-

Tankachoo, Apr 5, 2020
  4. Ikaruga Win User

Problems Factory Resetting PC

router logs DoS attack from a local PC....

Well you did not say that you don't really know what you are doing. It's not a problem of course, but it changes things a little.

It's not even clear if the PC or the router is the problem at this time, so I suggested that you disable some unnecessary things which are usually known to cause many problems, sorry if those were too complicated.

• You could reset some network related stuffz on the PC as a next step. Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator), and enter the followings on the PC:
      netsh int ip reset reset.log
      netsh int ipv6 reset
      netsh winsock reset
      netsh branchcache reset
      netsh advfirewall reset
      (note: You can export your current firewall rules in the "group policy" before the reset if it's needed for some reason)

• Btw, Would it be a problem to reset the router to the default settings if the things we are trying will not help? There is a menu point for that called "factory settings" (and also a little hole on the back if you prefer that one).. the Administrator username in the router after the reset would be admin and the password is probably on a sticker at the bottom of the router (special settings needed to go online with your ISP might be also necessary)
      This is not needed now (not yet), but perhaps the source of the problem is at the router and not the PC in question, so we may come to that eventually.
    ps.: Do you have a second network card you could test in that PC and a different cable to rule out some hardware issues on the PC side?

Ikaruga, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Problems Factory Resetting PC

1. Problems Factory Resetting PC - Similar Threads - Problems Factory Resetting

2. Factory reset problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory reset problem: i had to factory reset my pc but when i try logging in into my account it says "User Service service failed to Sign in" if someone can help me with this issue that would be greatly appreciated....
  3. Factory reset problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset problem: Windows laptop- I recently got a laptop from my mother-in-law and I wanted to factory reset it but every time I click retry details or even save log nothing ever works all it wants to do is restart it would be very helpful if I could have a tech genius help me *** Email...
  4. Factory reset problem

Factory reset problem: Windows laptop- I recently got a laptop from my mother-in-law and I wanted to factory reset it but every time I click retry details or even save log nothing ever works all it wants to do is restart it would be very helpful if I could have a tech genius help me *** Email...
  5. Factory reset problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Problems With Factory Reset on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems With Factory Reset on PC: Hello,I recently bought a computer off an individual. The PC was not reset before giving it to me. I am trying to reset the pc back to its factory setting so that I may access and use the pc. When resetting, it is asking me to "insert your windows installation or recovery...
  7. Problems With Factory Reset on PC

Problems With Factory Reset on PC: Hello,I recently bought a computer off an individual. The PC was not reset before giving it to me. I am trying to reset the pc back to its factory setting so that I may access and use the pc. When resetting, it is asking me to "insert your windows installation or recovery...
  8. Factory Reset Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory Reset Problem: I’m having factory reset problems, I have a laptop not a computer, lenovo ideapad 3 but sadly my display on laptop is broken, so I’m using a monitor. Now when I go to factory reset my laptop turns off and nothing is showing on my monitor, any help please?...
  9. Factory Reset Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Factory Reset Problem: I’m having factory reset problems, I have a laptop not a computer, lenovo ideapad 3 but sadly my display on laptop is broken, so I’m using a monitor. Now when I go to factory reset my laptop turns off and nothing is showing on my monitor, any help please?...
  10. problem with factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem with factory reset: every time i go to factory rest or anything like that it gets about halfway done and says there is a problem and my computer cant reset. i have an acer nitro 7 and i have no viruses and no corrupted files. I have done everything i could think of but nothing will work and i...