Windows 10: Problems formatting my hard drive . . .

Discus and support Problems formatting my hard drive . . . in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problems formatting my hard drive . . .My computer is a Dell laptop, running Windows 10.Do to some problems, I had to reformat my hard drive.I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jerry_Dwyer, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Problems formatting my hard drive . . .

Problems formatting my hard drive . . .My computer is a Dell laptop, running Windows 10.Do to some problems, I had to reformat my hard drive.I have a USB drive, with installation media.So I clicked on startup, to get it going.Then it said, this won't take long.Then it stopped, and said I need more space, on the C: drive.So, I went to C: But anything. I tried to delete,on the C: drive.These files are critical, to the running of the PC?That's why I've come to the Forum.To get answers, to this problem?I do have only, two hard drives.The os, the C: drive. And the, data drive.I really do need, to

:)

Jerry_Dwyer, Jul 17, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 17, 2021
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jul 17, 2021
  4. DeniseJM Win User

Problems formatting my hard drive . . .

Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10

I installed another hard drive. I went into Disk Management to format it. Disk Management asked me if I wanted to format it to GPT or MBR. I wasn't sure so I closed the box, opened a new tab and looked up to see what I should do. I found that I should
    format it as GPT. When I went back to Disk Management, the option to format the hard drive was no longer available by right clicking on the hard drive. I opened a new tab and found and did this:

Backup all your data and then use the DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of the disk that you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disknumber of disk
    • Finally, type in convert gpt.
    It said that the disk was converted to gpt.

In Disk Management, the hard drive doesn't show up in the top panel where it lists all my hard drives. In the bottom panel, it says that the disk is Unallocated.

I rebooted by computer but it wouldn't go any further than a black screen that says that it's Verifying something. I waited about 5 minutes and it never went any further. I pressed reset, disconnected the hard drive and my computer booted back up to Windows.
    I then reconnected the drive with Windows booted up, went into Disk Management, and again the drive is not listed in the top panel and in the bottom panel, it's still listed as Unallocated.

What do I do now?

DeniseJM, Jul 17, 2021
Thema:

Problems formatting my hard drive . . .

1. Problems formatting my hard drive . . . - Similar Threads - Problems formatting hard

2. hard drive isn't formatting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard drive isn't formatting: Sir, my windows was crashed when my laptop fell from the table. Most of my data in hdd was corrupt. But the important data was 50% recovered. Then I bought a ssd and tried to trasnfer important data from hdd to ssd. Then I formatted hdd but it shows 465GB of unallocated...
  3. format old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format old hard drive: Do i have to format old hard drive to install windows 10 from cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-hard-drive/78cd15c3-9d15-41fe-b88a-590b61a502ec
  4. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  5. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  6. Format a Hard Disk Drive

Format a Hard Disk Drive: I want to reformat a HGST 750GB hard disk drive connected thru a USB port on my computer. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-hard-disk-drive/0e989132-1b84-48c9-b089-ce4ac8420d30
  7. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  8. Format external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  9. formatting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  10. Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10

Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10: I installed another hard drive. I went into Disk Management to format it. Disk Management asked me if I wanted to format it to GPT or MBR. I wasn't sure so I closed the box, opened a new tab and looked up to see what I should do. I found that I should format it as GPT....