Windows 10: Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive.

Discus and support Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I am having an issue with my MB and a M.2 Gen4 M.2. First my hardware list: MB: ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WiFi (BIOS 1805) GPU: AMD Radion RX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrBasher, May 4, 2021.

1. MrBasher Win User

Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive.

Hi Guys, I am having an issue with my MB and a M.2 Gen4 M.2. First my hardware list: MB: ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WiFi (BIOS 1805) GPU: AMD Radion RX 5700 XT CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X SSD: 2 x M.2 Gen3 Sabrent Rocket Q SCSi Disks 1TB SSD: ScanDisk Ultra 2 960Gig HDU: 3 This current configuration is running fine with no issues. The problem is I decided to upgrade my boot drive to a Gen for so ordered and received a Sabrent Gen4 disk which I would have though a straight sway and reinstall of OS etc would have been straight forward BUT, no :-( When I replaced the Gen3 with the Gen4 the computer would not boot and got stuck at error code 7C. I went online to investigate and followed every recommendation I could find. I disconnected all my Sata drives and removed the second M.2 drive, reset the bios to what the recommendations said but still a 7C error. The conclusion I cane to was a faulty M.2 so I sent it back and ordered a different drive a Corsair MP600 Gen 4 and as you probably have guessed it also stops at 7C (Its a pre-post state the stops the computer even getting to the bios screen). When Iput the Gen3 back in all works wonderfully. Can anyone out the help or advise what is going on? Regards, Dave G

:)

MrBasher, May 4, 2021
  2. MrBasher Win User

Hi Guys,
    I am having an issue with my MB and a M.2 Gen4 M.2.

First my hardware list:
    MB: ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WiFi (BIOS 1805)
    GPU: AMD Radion RX 5700 XT
    CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
    SSD: 2 x M.2 Gen3 Sabrent Rocket Q SCSi Disks 1TB
    SSD: ScanDisk Ultra 2 960Gig
    HDU: 3

This current configuration is running fine with no issues.

The problem is I decided to upgrade my boot drive to a Gen for so ordered and received a Sabrent Gen4 disk which I would have though a straight sway and reinstall of OS etc would have been straight forward BUT, no :-( When I replaced the Gen3 with the Gen4 the computer would not boot and got stuck at error code 7C. I went online to investigate and followed every recommendation I could find. I disconnected all my Sata drives and removed the second M.2 drive, reset the bios to what the recommendations said but still a 7C error. The conclusion I cane to was a faulty M.2 so I sent it back and ordered a different drive a Corsair MP600 Gen 4 and as you probably have guessed it also stops at 7C (Its a pre-post state the stops the computer even getting to the bios screen). When Iput the Gen3 back in all works wonderfully.

Can anyone out the help or advise what is going on?

Regards,
    Dave G

MrBasher, May 4, 2021
  3. itsme1 Win User

Yes The M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD will be much slower in the gen3 slot, 3.938 GB/s instead of 7.877 GB/s.

I looked on your motherboard page the corsair force mp600 ssd is in the Qualified Vendor List, for the 1000GB version so 1TB. I don't know if the other size is compatible or not. What capacity did you take?
    ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WIFI | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG United Kingdom
    On page 4 you have all the compatible ssd.

You need to update the bios, version 2006. The one above is a beta bios.

You can try to put in the bios the SATA mode on AHCI, if it is on RAID, and see if you still have the 7C error. You can do this before updating the bios or updating before the bios.

I only see that to do, update bios and sata mode on AHCI. And maybe what DJG is saying

Is it a clean install of windows that you do on the m2 gen4 ssd?

edit: In the bios you have the M2_1 link mode option for the M2_1 slot. It should be set to AUTO by default, try the gen 4 setting.

itsme1, May 4, 2021
  4. DJG
    DJG Win User

I had a similar problem when upgrading to a Samsung 980 Pro and restored my 970 Pro image. The problem was with the NVME driver which has to be the default Microsoft driver for the Gen4 drives - doesn't like the Samsung driver. I used a boot fix option in my Paragon HD Mgr restore options to get it to boot.

Thema:

1. Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive. - Similar Threads - Problems installing Gen4

2. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  3. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  4. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS: sometimes it doesn't and I tried to install a new operating system after the installation m laptop goes to bios as if the is not drive in the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/m2-drive-problems/5b214040-b5ac-4c1e-bb6c-df57104c971e
  6. M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 DRIVE PROBLEMS: sometimes it doesn't and I tried to install a new operating system after the installation m laptop goes to bios as if the is not drive in the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/m2-drive-problems/5b214040-b5ac-4c1e-bb6c-df57104c971e
  7. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  8. Installed M.2 drive is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed M.2 drive is not recognized: I installed a new WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III -WDS100T2B0B onto a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170. Windows doesn't recognize the drive but it does appear in my BIOS. so far what troubleshooting I've done through the MB data...
  9. M.2 Installation problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    M.2 Installation problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MadSkillzBruh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/haykn5/m2_installation_problem/
  10. M.2 2280 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    M.2 2280 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD): Now these are pretty impressive numbers. You might want to wait for the GEN 3 prices to drop as they will be going to soon. Performance Max Sequential ReadUp to 4950 MBps Max Sequential WriteUp to 4250 MBps 4KB Random ReadUp to 680,000 IOPS 4KB Random WriteUp to 600,000...