Windows 10: Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive

Discus and support Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings. Im having some dificulties upgrading my laptop. I bought an ssd to replace my old hdd. I downloaded the microsoft media creation tool in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sergio_Nieto, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive

Greetings. Im having some dificulties upgrading my laptop. I bought an ssd to replace my old hdd. I downloaded the microsoft media creation tool in a 16 gb sd card using the adapter to do the proper boot and install. Turn off the laptop, switch drives from hdd to brand new ssd, the boot again with the sd card already plugged. Laptop shows the message "no bootable device found" along with a symbol of a hard drive and a magnifying glass. Running again from bios to change the boot order doesnt work because the boot order list is in blank if the ssd is installed, and only the corresponding boot

:)

Sergio_Nieto, Aug 14, 2021
  2. GSG-9 Win User

Installing vista on an SD card...

I am interested in installing vista on to a SD/XD Card. Is there a way to do this? I imagine I could significantly increase my battery life of my laptop by running windows off of the hard drive.
    Thanks for any input/suggestions

GSG-9, Aug 14, 2021
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

I think you are saying that -

1 Disk management does not identify that SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists that SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies that SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

I am rather astonished. I thought that this was going to turn into a Refresh issue. I have never heard of anything like your problem before.

I have a few suggestions for action followed by some advice about posting a new question on the topic in both this forum & TenForums [www.tenforums.com - auto-formatting is not working at the moment].

Suggestion 1 -

1.1 Go to Device manager and note the SD card
    reader Properties, Driver entry [my SD card reader is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

1.2 Go to the computer maker / SD card reader maker and get their latest Windows 10 driver for the SD card reader and install it.

1.3 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 2 - If you cannot do that then

2.1 Remove the SD card

2.2 If a zombie entry for the SD card remains in Device manager, Disk drives then delete it.

2.3 Go to Device manager and right-click, Uninstall the entry for the SD card reader [mine is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

2.4 Restart the computer straight away [merely to avoid any suspicion that observed symptoms might be left-overs from beforehand].

2.5 Windows will redetect the hardware as it starts. You can force it to by clicking on the Device manager toolbar's Scan for hardware changes icon but that really should not be necessary.

2.6 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 3 - If possible -

As Suggestion 2 but deliberately install the new driver at step 2.5 irrespective of what Windows has installed.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If these suggestions do not fix things then I think you need to post a new question on the subject. That will get you a better response than continuing with this current one.

Title - Device manager & Disk management show removable SD card as a fixed drive.

Description -

1 Disk management does not identify the SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists the SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies the SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

4 [describe the effect of the problem - the contents of a previous SD card still being shown]

5 [describe the steps you have already taken to fix things - you can just cut and paste from this thread and then adjust verbiage]

- - - - - - - - - -

When you create your new questions, please paste links to them here so I can follow your progress.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 14, 2021
  4. David Haz Win User

Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive

Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

You posted that you would try the suggested steps by Tryx3. May we have an update if the suggested steps have resolved the issue about your SD card being recognized as a fixed drive in Windows 10?

David Haz, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive

1. Problems installing windows 10 from an sd card to a ssd drive - Similar Threads - Problems installing card

2. Can't install windows 10 from sd card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install windows 10 from sd card: When i try to install windows from sd card at the pc needs a restart after it puts pe to install windows again,but when i boot the ssd where i installed windows it says no system operation found...
  3. Can't install windows 10 from sd card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install windows 10 from sd card: When i try to install windows from sd card at the pc needs a restart after it puts pe to install windows again,but when i boot the ssd where i installed windows it says no system operation found...
  4. Can't install windows 10 from sd card

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Sd card Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sd card Problems: So, I pressed "Eject" on the sd card, later I put it back in and it wouldnt work. Does anybody have a solution? Microsoft, FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-problems/5950f30f-7c60-412f-afb5-ebf7f60dfbba
  6. SD Card Drive is gone

SD Card Drive is gone: Hi, My SD Card drive is no longer on my computer. How do I get it back? Also, what are the two partitions that are not assigned a letter? What should I do to get them reassigned? [ATTACH]...
  7. SD card problem.

SD card problem.: An SD card that I have is not showing up in Windows after the latest update. I know that the SD is good because it is working on another computer just fine. Could you please assist?...
  8. Installing or relocating Windows 10 to an SD card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing or relocating Windows 10 to an SD card: I have small fan-less mini PC i use as a media server. I believe it runs a Quad core Intel Atom processor and has 2 gig of ram. It only has 32 gig of on board storage. With each successive update of WIN 10 I loose more and more free space and the unit slows down. It has an...
  9. Installing Apps from SD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Apps from SD card: I'm running W10 on my desktop, and will shortly be getting a new laptop, a HP Envy 13. I have a fair amount of software that came on CD/DVD, and obviously I could get an external DVD RW for not much money and install MS Office 2010, Lightroom 5 etc. from the DVD media. But...
  10. How to initiate SSD boot from SD card?

How to initiate SSD boot from SD card?: Going a bit crazy trying to get my laptop to recognize a new NVMe SSD that I want to use in it. The Win 10 installer has no problem seeing & the laptop can access it. But the BIOS doesn't recognize the device.. so it's not bootable. I've tried just about every BIOS setting...