Windows 10: Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost)

Discus and support Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/c00ldud3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l57b4o/problems_logging_in_following_the_latest_windows/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/c00ldud3, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost)

/u/c00ldud3, Jan 26, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 26, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost)

Error Log Reading

Hi ankurshaswat.

Sorry I can't tell from logs but all data appears to be very old. Like September. Here is a list of quick fixes that can help from an MS article.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...dy_UpgradeTips
    Quick fixes The following steps can resolve many Windows upgrade problems.

• Remove nonessential external hardware, such as docks and USB devices.
    • Check all hard drives for errors and attempt repairs. To automatically repair hard drives, open an elevated command prompt, switch to the drive you wish to repair, and type the following command. You will be required to reboot the computer if the hard drive being repaired is also the system drive.
      • chkdsk /F
    • Attempt to restore and repair system files by typing the following commands at an elevated command prompt. It may take several minutes for the command operations to be completed. For more information, see Repair a Windows Image.
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      • sfc /scannow
    • Update Windows so that all available recommended updates are installed, and ensure the computer is rebooted if this is necessary to complete installation of an update.
    • Uninstall non-Microsoft antivirus software.
      • Use Windows Defender for protection during the upgrade.
      • Verify compatibility information and re-install antivirus applications after the upgrade.
    • Uninstall all nonessential software.
    • Update firmware and drivers.
    • Ensure that "Download and install updates (recommended)" is accepted at the start of the upgrade process.
    • Verify at least 16 GB of free space is available to upgrade a 32-bit OS, or 20 GB for a 64-bit OS.

Once you done all of the above could I suggest you follow this tutorial to install the upgrade. While non destructive I would recommend backing up all data off device.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Then repost the logs please.

Caledon Ken, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost)

1. Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update (crosspost + repost) - Similar Threads - Problems logging following

2. Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems logging in following the latest Windows Update: Following last night’s update, I cannot l login. When I try to login I have no option to put in my password and it has me sign into my Microsoft account when I try to login, and then it says something about setting up a Windows Hello pin (I already have a password) and after...
  3. latest win10 update causing log on problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    latest win10 update causing log on problems: Having to sign in to virtually everything after the latest win 10 update every time I reboot. How do I get back to the previous update? Definitely a Microsoft problem because it happened immediately after they updated win 10...
  4. OneDrive problem (reposted)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive problem (reposted): Hey! I just build my PC and downloaded Windows and installed all the Updates and changed some settings. Now i have to set up an OneDrive account. When i put in my email it just closes the window and opens again. What should i do? submitted by /u/SaltyTudor [link]...
  5. Following Latest Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Following Latest Updates: Whilst doing latest updates to win 10 i was wondering whats in store in the future as already in pipeline? Is win 10 just going to be upgrades for the foreseeable future or is there another 'new' realise in development? 144395
  6. Following Latest Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Following Latest Updates: Whilst doing latest updates to win 10 i was wondering whats in store in the future as already in pipeline? Is win 10 just going to be upgrades for the foreseeable future or is there another 'new' realise in development? 144395
  7. Logging in following WIndows 10 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logging in following WIndows 10 update: My computer did a Windows 10 update last night which took over 2 hours (I went to bed at that time so I have no idea how long it really took!!!)j. Know when I sign in it tells me I am signed into a temporary account and NONE of my stuff is there. I can't figure out how to...
  8. Following the latest Windows update I have a number of problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Following the latest Windows update I have a number of problems: Can anyone help please? Following the last Windows update I have problems with outlook whereby it closes down to the taskbar every time I close an email. Also from my start menu, I no longer have a list of tasks and my 'life at a glance' totally changed. In addition to...
  9. Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost): Copy-pasting from my last question cause I never got a good response. So what happened was, the Fall Creator's Update decided it needed to happen to my computer, which was previously stupid fast, and immediately reduced it's high performance to roughly 1/4th of it's...
  10. BSOD Following Latest Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Following Latest Windows Update: I'm in a bit of a pickle in that the latest Update killed my rig. I get a stop report BSOD and Windows won't even boot. Back in the day, I would have just grabbed the Windows 7 DVD, re-installed and off I go. But I don't have a Windows 10 DVD and the licence key I have is...