Windows 10: Problems making a recovery disk

Discus and support Problems making a recovery disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am having problems making a recovery disk. I have a Pavilion DV6 that had a hard drive failure, I got a new SSD Samsong 860 EVO 500GB but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TerryH2, Feb 1, 2020.

1. TerryH2 Win User

Problems making a recovery disk

Hello, I am having problems making a recovery disk.

I have a Pavilion DV6 that had a hard drive failure, I got a new SSD Samsong 860 EVO 500GB but can not seem to get windows reinstalled.

I ran the MS media creation tool. I start it, select "Create installation media for another PC", I select 64-bit architecture I think that is what I had on my previous hard drive. It has two options, make a USB and make an ISO to burn to a DVD. I tried both ways and get the same result, neither seem to work.

I have played with the boot order and put different options first.

The options are Notebook hard drive, internal CD/DVD ROM, USB diskette on Key/USB hard disk, USB CD/DVD, and USB Floppy.

Is there a specific order I should put them in?

I feel like I have tried most combination of things and still get "No bootable device" every time. Does it matter which USB port I stick the flash drive into? Should I be using the 32 bit since it is an older computer? Is there something else I am missing?

I ran the hard disk test on the Pavilion and my desktop, on both it passed, and can see it on my desktop so I think the SSD is fine.

Thank you

:)

TerryH2, Feb 1, 2020

2. What should I have as backup-a RECOVERY disk or a REPAIR disk? Are these the same or different?

Got the free upgrade to Windows 10 and I need to start making some kind of a Repair/Recovery disk.

Are these the same thing? Are they different?

Can someone list the steps needed to make this/ these disk (s)?

Thank you.

Barbara

BarbaraLarnce, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Recovery Disks

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

In order to create a recovery disk, follow the steps below:

• Type “Recovery” in search box and press Enter.
    • Select the option to create a recovery disc and follow the prompts to create a recovery disc.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Pinchy Win User

XP disk versus Laptop Recovery Disk?

Recovery disks are just OEM copies of XP disks. Ie, they can have things such as the companys logo within the files.

If you got a normal XP disk you cant use it. The only way your dads copy of XP will activate is if your normal XP copy is OEM, unless you use the recovery disk.

I always use the recovery disks. Works just like a normal copy *Smile Problems making a recovery disk :). Plus with the recovery disks you dont need the serial key as I *think* its embedded into the files on the disk. Just need to activate windows once on the net *Wink Problems making a recovery disk ;).

Pinchy, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems making a recovery disk - Similar Threads - Problems making recovery

2. Problems with making recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with making recovery drive: I want to do a recovery drive. The manuals write that I need a 32GB USB drive. But the "Create recovery drive" wizzard, with the option "save system files", asks only for a 16GB USB stick. The problem can not be with the USB stick, because the wizzard asks for the 16GB stick...
  3. Problems with making recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with making recovery drive: I want to do a recovery drive. The manuals write that I need a 32GB USB drive. But the "Create recovery drive" wizzard, with the option "save system files", asks only for a 16GB USB stick. The problem can not be with the USB stick, because the wizzard asks for the 16GB stick...
  4. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems creating a recovery disk: I cant seem to create a recovery disk for my Windows 10 computer.The recovery disk tool opens ok. I tick the box to create a recovery disk, press next, insert a 128GB empty USB stick, my Virus checker tells me it is inserted but the recovery disk tool does not recognise...
  5. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems creating a recovery disk: I cant seem to create a recovery disk for my Windows 10 computer.The recovery disk tool opens ok. I tick the box to create a recovery disk, press next, insert a 128GB empty USB stick, my Virus checker tells me it is inserted but the recovery disk tool does not recognise...
  6. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win 10 recovery problem, no recovery disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 recovery problem, no recovery disk: Win 10 OS, was updating OS and system rebooted and froze during boot up. Tried Cnt/Alt/Del to shut down system, no success. Finally had to just shut PC off. Now it won't boot up. since I've had this system for several years, I cannot find my recovery thumbdrive most likely...
  8. Win 10 recovery problem, no recovery disk

Win 10 recovery problem, no recovery disk: Win 10 OS, was updating OS and system rebooted and froze during boot up. Tried Cnt/Alt/Del to shut down system, no success. Finally had to just shut PC off. Now it won't boot up. since I've had this system for several years, I cannot find my recovery thumbdrive most likely...
  9. Recovery disk / Hide disk problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery disk / Hide disk problem: So far everything was okay, but for some reason the IRST ( Intel rapid storage technology ) came up on a daily basis some upgrade or refresh. I enabled. Disappeared from drive D. Disk management can not see it. I've been trying everything, I gave up. Please, help. ( Acer...
  10. Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk

Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk: I've tried using the "Create a Recovery Drive" and have tried making my own installation media using the "Media Creation Tool". Both seem to do nothing, just constantly search. The Media Creation Tool stays on the "getting a few things ready" screen for upwards of half an...