Windows 10: Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

Discus and support Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gaffer61, Jan 13, 2021.

1. gaffer61 Win User

Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name directory with a bunch of folders inside, I have cut and paste all these folders into users/name folder with success except that the This PC versions of Pictures and Documents folders are still pointing at the OneDrive folder and I can't get them to point at the new location. If I put the Pictures and Documents folders back in the OneDrive folder they see the contents again. How to I get the This PC Picture and Documents folders to see the contents when I move from OneDrive to users/name. Hope that makes sense.

Win ver 2004 build 19041.508

:)

gaffer61, Jan 13, 2021

2. Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-folder/147dade2-830b-46ee-bf7e-36a8eab9446a

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 13, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

1. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder - Similar Threads - Problems moving Documents

2. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  3. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  4. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  5. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  6. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  8. Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local

Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local: I bought a new PC with Windows 10. It is saving all files, including user application files, to Documents in OneDrive. This is a disaster as applications produce trainloads of user files that OneDrive then dutifully attempts to upload. The Documents folder on "This PC" is...
  9. Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder

Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder: How do move a picture that is in a Folder in Pictures in my File Explorer to a folder in my Photos App. I can't drag it or copy and paste it, so is there some way to do this?...
  10. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...