Windows 10: Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple...

Discus and support Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've bought a new Lenovo 330 laptop with Windows 10 and a SSD. I wanted to move Windows 10 to the SSD. I've created an installation media and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GabrielGonçalves[], May 12, 2019.

1. Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple...

I've bought a new Lenovo 330 laptop with Windows 10 and a SSD.

I wanted to move Windows 10 to the SSD.

I've created an installation media and installed Windows 10 on the SSD.

After I installed it, the next time i booted the laptop, there was a screen asking me to choose which windows I wanted to use. There were two options. They vanished too fast I couldn't read it.

After this first time, this screen didn't appear anymore.

Now I have Windows 10 installed no both HDD and SSD. But they are not equal. In Computer Management > Disk management The HDD has 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, Primary Partition "Windows D:" and OEM Partition ("WINRE_DRV"). While the SSD has a single partition C: which reads "Boot, Page File, Crash dump, Primary partition")

In the BIOS/UEFI there are 3 boot options, organized in two lists:

-The EFI list, which only contains the boot frmo the HDD

-The legacy boot list, which contains the HDD (the same HDD from the EFI list) and the SSD option.

All three options boot the same Windows 10 - the one installed in the SSD. I saw that creating a blank file in th Desktop in the SSD and loading all three options (tell me if this method doesn't make sense).

-If legacy boot options are enabled, its not possible for the Secure Boot option to be enabled.

My questions:

1-Why are the UEFI HDD boot option and the legacy HDD boot option loading the SSD windows? They are just wrongly labeled (being, in truth, the bootloader from SSD) or they re really written on the HDD but loading the SSD?

2-Because of question 1, I don't know if I can format the HDD, because if those boot options are really from the HDD ( and not from the SSD) I might completely loose my UEFI boot. Is that correct?

3-I expected that when installing windows 10 on the SSD it would install a UEFI boot (if I remember correctly, I even that to change the partition of the SSD frmo MBR to GPT because of this), not a legacy boot, as it apparently did. How can I fix that?

:)

GabrielGonçalves[], May 12, 2019
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, May 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 12, 2019
  4. ertugrul Win User

Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple...

[SOLVED] "AMD Data Change..." boot freeze problem on GA-MA785GT-UD3H after SSD installation

Thank you for your replies. As Mussels suggested, cloning was not a right decision. Yesterday I reset my BIOS by removing battery for 10 minutes, then loaded optimized defaults from BIOS, then installed Windows from scratch to my SSD drive. It worked. I still see that message during boot process, however it is not a problem.

ertugrul, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple...

1. Problems on boot option after installing Windows 10 on SSD (confuse situation, multiple... - Similar Threads - Problems boot option

2. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  3. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  4. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  6. Installing Windows on new SSD - confused

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows on new SSD - confused: Hi, I feel stupid for having to ask this, but here goes... My PC is about 4 years old and didn't come with any Windows installation discs; it was pre-installed. More recently, I have become used to using SSDs on pretty much everything else, so I would like to switch from my...
  7. Multiple boot options after WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple boot options after WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_BSOD: Hey, windows 10 pro, fully patched. Using asus zenbook ux534ftc. Extrenal Hardware: - docking station with sound jack and keybored connected. - HDMI screen conncted. - Bluetooth mouse. After using the pc for quite long time with high cpu usagehigh fan speed, debugging...
  8. Unable to Boot to SSD after Windows 10 Install

Unable to Boot to SSD after Windows 10 Install: Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time read this, I will try to keep it short, but I have been struggling for a while with this and tried a lot of different things! Computer Info: Windows 10 Home v.2004 Build 19041.450 AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 32GB RAM Aorus...
  9. Migrating Windows 10 to SSD Confusion.

Migrating Windows 10 to SSD Confusion.: Hi, I have an SSD and I have been researching on how to migrate my OS from my HDD to my SSD and different websites tell me different things. One says to use EaseUS to migrate my OS and files, others say use Macrium Reflect, also some say to to a System Image. Which one is the...
  10. Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD): So tech people.I am confused.You see first of all in most settings in my UEFI my SSD is recognized except one in Storeage Configuration if I remember correctly.Anywho ive done some settings here and there and when i boot it asks me if i want it to be from HDD or SSD. I Boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 boot problem with ssd

2. why after istalling an ssd do i have to reboot multiple times