Windows 10: Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check.

Discus and support Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since the most recent Windows upgrade I have been having problems opening Word and Excel documents. The opening process initiates a virus check which... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaveWright69, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check.

Since the most recent Windows upgrade I have been having problems opening Word and Excel documents. The opening process initiates a virus check which used to take a few seconds. Now it just hangs, never completes and fails to open the document. I also have to restart the laptop to close Word or Excel once this has happened. My Word and Excel are old versions .doc and .xls and the laptop is running Windows 10. I don't know whether the Office software initiates this or if it is Windows Defender doing it. Can I maybe just disable the virus check somehow - after all these are just files that

:)

DaveWright69, Aug 17, 2021

2. Word and Excel documents are slow to open in Windows 10

Have the same problem, here are my conditions:

- Windows 10 Professional x64.

- Office 2007 Ultimate.

- Opening Word and Excel documents is slow when Word/Excel not currently open/running.

- Opening the Word/Excel document with Word/Excel already open is fast/normal.

Solution is the same as reported:

1) Disable Cortana.

2) Restart Windows.

Step 2 is very important.

wayne_9901, Aug 17, 2021
  3. yapchagi Win User
    Word and Excel documents are slow to open in Windows 10

in my case, I don't need to restart windows. Closing cortana completely will make opening word and excel files fast like usual.

yapchagi, Aug 17, 2021
  4. kado897 Win User

Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check.

Pinned and last opened Word/Excel Documents now not showing anymore

You may want to check if you have jump lists turned off. Previously that feature was not working. In this release it is.

kado897, Aug 17, 2021
Thema:

Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check.

1. Problems opening Word and Excel documents due to virus check. - Similar Threads - Problems opening Word

2. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents: Hi,I can't open Word or Excel files in File Explorer. I don't get any kind of error message. It just clocks and when I click the upper right corner 'x' to close file explorer it puts not responding on the file explorer bar.I can open ,pdf and .jpeg files.Is anyone else having...
  3. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents: Hi,I can't open Word or Excel files in File Explorer. I don't get any kind of error message. It just clocks and when I click the upper right corner 'x' to close file explorer it puts not responding on the file explorer bar.I can open ,pdf and .jpeg files.Is anyone else having...
  4. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with document Officce Word, Excel, ... in mode offline

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with document Officce Word, Excel, ... in mode offline: I have a problem with the offline mode of the sync center in all office documents. When I am working in online mode I can do anything I want but when I put it in offline mode I cannot edit any office files, and if I create any they are not saved either. I need help because...
  6. Problem with document Officce Word, Excel, ... in mode offline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with document Officce Word, Excel, ... in mode offline: I have a problem with the offline mode of the sync center in all office documents. When I am working in online mode I can do anything I want but when I put it in offline mode I cannot edit any office files, and if I create any they are not saved either. I need help because...
  7. Problem with document Officce Word, Excel, ... in mode offline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Reopening Word/Excel Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reopening Word/Excel Documents: I was just wondering if there's a way to get programs such as Word or Excel to re-open your documents/files you had open before shutting down. I typically have anywhere from 4 to 12 word documents open and I don't shut down my computer anymore because it's a hassle to reopen...
  9. Problem with Excel macro to open Word files

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem with Excel macro to open Word files: I am having a problem with an Excel macro which opens Word files. The macro opens the files OK but sometimes the file is not visible; instead, it is hidden in the window behind the Excel Workbook and the Word icon on the taskbar flashes to show that the file is open. I want...
  10. Problem with Excel macro to open Word files

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Excel macro to open Word files: I am having a problem with an Excel macro which opens Word files. The macro opens the files OK but sometimes the file is not visible; instead, it is hidden in the window behind the Excel Workbook and the Word icon on the taskbar flashes to show that the file is open. I want...