Windows 10: Problems performing a File History backup.

Discus and support Problems performing a File History backup. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by larryk4311, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Problems performing a File History backup.

Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash drive and File History recognizes it. I have gone through the list, one by one, and removed the folders I don't need or care about. I'm just interested in my basic 4 Library folders. Thinking my problems may be related to the file system on the USB drive, I did a little research but it doesn't seem to be related. Th

:)

larryk4311, Feb 1, 2023
  2. omkar Win User

File history problem

Problems performing a File History backup. 90913d1485969462t-file-history-problem-capture-file-history-2.png
    ok bro tell me when i am clicking on add a dive it is saying no usable drives found ? so what is the solution for this help in detail and step by step?

omkar, Feb 1, 2023
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Problems performing a File History backup. [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Feb 1, 2023
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Problems performing a File History backup.

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

Problems performing a File History backup.

1. Problems performing a File History backup. - Similar Threads - Problems performing File

2. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  3. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  5. File history backup

File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. Problem with file history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem with file history backup: I cannot change the drive for FILE HISTORY. I have been able to remove the old drive but although the drive I want is listed, clicking it has no effect. Is FILE HISTORY of much use anyway? I have not bothered with it before, and when I look at what has been saved it seems...
  9. backup using file history problem :(

backup using file history problem :(: Hi guys ... i just cannot backup using FileHistory on my windows 10 ... I realized yesterday that the volume of my drives going to over. volume of my last backup was 400GB... then i deleted backup file on my drive ... after that the backup button get gray and i cannot...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"