Windows 10: Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep

Discus and support Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In mid-March, I bought a new custom-built desktop computer running Windows 10 that includes a motherboard with a RealTek PCIe GBE family network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KeithAmmann, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep

In mid-March, I bought a new custom-built desktop computer running Windows 10 that includes a motherboard with a RealTek PCIe GBE family network controller, which worked perfectly until several days ago.

A couple of weeks back, I subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud and installed Illustrator CC on my machine. I have no idea whether this has anything to do with my problem, but the timing is curious, and it's the only significant change I've made to my system recently.

After I installed Illustrator, my computer stopped going to sleep on its own. (It was set to go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity.) This situation persisted for several days.

One morning I woke up and found that my computer had gone to sleep overnight. However, upon waking it up, I had a new problem: I had no access to my networked external hard drive or to most websites. A few worked (Google, Xfinity), but most gave me errors. Troubleshooting revealed that my IPv6 connection was fine, but I had no IPv4 connection. My network controller was permanently stuck on "Identifying."

After trying a dozen different suggestions from tech Q&A boards around the web, I managed to stabilize my Internet connection by changing the IPv4 settings on my network controller from "Obtain an IP address automatically"/"Obtain DNS server address automatically" to fixed IP addresses. Unfortunately, this did nothing for my connection to my external hard drive, which I previously had mapped to P:. I still lose connection to that drive upon waking from sleep, and while I can access it after restarting my computer, the mapping to P: vanishes every time.

I've been assuming up to this point that the problem was with my network controller or its driver. But now I'm wondering whether the problem is with Windows 10 itself. That's because this morning was the second time my computer shut down on its own instead of going to sleep. I also got a "Driver state power failure" blue screen message on a couple of my reboots while I was trying to sort the Internet problem out, before I changed my IPv4 settings. Have there been any Windows 10 updates recently that might be causing this problem?

:)

KeithAmmann, Jun 10, 2019

2. wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep

slow Internet reconnect after Win10 wakes from sleep

My new Asus Win10 machine with a solid-state hard drive wakes up from sleep refreshingly quickly -- just a couple of seconds. But it takes between 15 and 40 seconds before the Internet connection is re-established. Once the connection is re-established, it works fine. But that delay is annoying. Can I do something to speed up the reconnection?

I don't know where the delay is coming from. My NIC is plugged directly into my Comcast cable modem -- no other routers or the like involved. The NIC on the machine claims to be an "Intel Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V", running driver version 12.13.17.4, which is claimed to be the current version. The "Power Management" tab in Device Manager for the NIC lists three power-saver options, all of which are enabled (that is, the boxes are checked):

Respond to ARP requests without waking system
    Respond to NS requests without waking system
    Energy Efficient Ethernet

(I am attaching a PNG of the Power Management tab.) These options suggest that the NIC should be able to keep the Internet connection alive, even during sleep. So I don't know why I am experiencing a delay in re-establishing the connection.

Any ideas?
    Lyle

Lyle Ramshaw, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep

1. Problems reconnecting Ethernet after waking from PC sleep - Similar Threads - Problems reconnecting Ethernet

2. PC won't connect to Ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC won't connect to Ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode: I've got a custom build Win10 PC using Intel. Lately, every time I wake my computer up from being in sleep mode, it'll go through about 30 seconds to 2 minute process of going back and forth between showing I have internet access, to showing I have no ethernet plugged in, to...
  3. PC won't connect to Ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't connect to Ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode: I've got a custom build Win10 PC using Intel. Lately, every time I wake my computer up from being in sleep mode, it'll go through about 30 seconds to 2 minute process of going back and forth between showing I have internet access, to showing I have no ethernet plugged in, to...
  4. PC won't connect to Ethernet after waking up from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Behavior After Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Behavior After Waking from Sleep: Hi. I Have a Lenovo Legion laptop thats in ok condition, despite a missing keycap that still has functionality. I disabled my keyboard drivers because of some external factors, but reinstalled them latest ver and they've been working fine.However, an issue that i never had...
  6. Ethernet does not work after PC wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet does not work after PC wakes up from sleep: Title. Basically it can be "fixed" by disabling/enabling the adapter in device manager, but I'd like to have this fixed properly. Alredy tried: * updated driver * unticked "allow this device to be disabled" in properties of the device * disabled green ethernet and energy...
  7. problem waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    problem waking from sleep: Hi Ive recently upgraded from win 10 ver1803 to version 1903 since then i am having issues with the computer not recovering from sleep mode. it tries to wake up, black screen, then it shuts down and restarts. I get event id 41 in event viewer[ATTACH]...
  8. Problem when Waking the pc after Sleep

Problem when Waking the pc after Sleep: After putting my desktop pc to sleep, I used to Wake it up again by pressing the large 'Enter' button on my Keyboard. Now, this doesn't work for me and I have to press the main 'Power' button. I have tried HP's Keyboard Trouble shooter, and windows Trouble shooter but cannot...
  9. After wake from sleep - wifi won't reconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After wake from sleep - wifi won't reconnect: After waking from sleep, my Lenovo Carbon X1 (6th gen) often shows failed wifi connection or similar in the status. I need to manually disconnect it then reconnect and it will work again. Even if I click the 'reconnect automatically' setting or whatever it is called it...
  10. slow Internet reconnect after Win10 wakes from sleep

slow Internet reconnect after Win10 wakes from sleep: My new Asus Win10 machine with a solid-state hard drive wakes up from sleep refreshingly quickly -- just a couple of seconds. But it takes between 15 and 40 seconds before the Internet connection is re-established. Once the connection is re-established, it works fine. But...