Windows 10: Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

Discus and support Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by YetAnotherMike, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased a copy of Win XP Pro. March on a bunch of years and that drive died so I installed Win7 Pro SP1 32 bit and bumped the RAM to 2 gigs. I inherited the Gateway when she died.I used it at work for years who's going to steal an old Gateway laptop? and during that time I got a free update to Win10 Ver 1607 and bumped

:)

YetAnotherMike, Dec 8, 2022
  2. lacrumb Win User

hard drive swap

If the new computer has the same version, Home or Pro, installed and activated you have no problems.

We had a power serge and my wife's computer was fried. It did not get the hard drive and I had an exact model that was activated and I swapped her hard drive into it and she was up and running with no problems.

lacrumb, Dec 8, 2022
  3. swapping hard drive

Hi PtWeeps,

you can indeed swap the hard drive into another machine. The issues you will face are drivers and a potential activation issue.

Windows should try to reinstall new drivers but you may just have to reinstall the drivers from the Dell Website.

If you get an acitvation prompt you may just have to run through the activation wizard in settings to reactivate windows.

Jordan Langford, Dec 8, 2022
  4. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Dec 8, 2022
Thema:

Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

1. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap... - Similar Threads - Problems reinstalling Win10

2. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  3. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  4. Problems after reinstalling old hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems after reinstalling old hard drive: Hello, I'm a tech consultant in a major big-box retailer. A customer came in with a laptop they had purchased from another retailer and was complaining about the overall sluggish performance of the machine. Its running an AMD A6 with 4GB of RAM and a 5400rpm HDD, so its...
  5. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  6. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  7. swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows

swapping primary hard drive and reinstalling windows: I want to buy an SSD, install it my computer as the primary drive and move my current hard drive to secondary, to use it for a data drive. This should be simple but I want to make sure. I assume I reinstall my Windows 10 on the new drive, using the same key I own. Then...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...