Windows 10: Problems running a legacy program

Discus and support Problems running a legacy program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My friend has had this Windows XP virtual machine (running inside Microsoft Virtual PC) running some legacy application for ages. With Windows 10 no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ckasdf, Aug 3, 2020.

1. /u/ckasdf Win User

Problems running a legacy program

My friend has had this Windows XP virtual machine (running inside Microsoft Virtual PC) running some legacy application for ages. With Windows 10 no longer supporting that virtual application and no easy way to transfer it to another provider (Windows detects hardware changes, requires re-activation), I decided to see if it was a simple-enough application to just pull out of the VM and run via her Windows 10 install.

I have a copy of the VM (disk in VHD format), and was able to mount the virtual drive. It was "installed" in the root of the C:\ drive, so I just ran it from my Windows 10 instance, and at first I got an error stating that MultimediaTimer_IF.dll was missing. I grabbed it from the virtual drive (f:\Windows\System32\MultimediaTimer_IF.dll) and put it in the same directory of my C:\ drive. For good measure, I enabled Windows XP compatibility mode. After this, it ran successfully.

I called her up, remote'd into her computer, and performed the same steps. However, even with the dll file copied into place, every time I launched the program it kept complaining that the file was missing, and the program wouldn't start.

Suggestions on how I can proceed?

submitted by /u/ckasdf
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ckasdf, Aug 3, 2020

2. Legacy program won't run on W10

I have a legacy program, MGI Photosuite 4.0 which I love for it's simplicity and my ability to use it.

I have used this program from W98 through XP successfully.

I am a senior citizen who does not want to delve into other programs when what I know works fine for me.

I finally bought a used W7 laptop and as soon as I was on the web W10 was automatically loaded without asking me.

I have several legacy programs I own and like and this is my first one to try to load and run from the program CD.

I cannot get this program to load or run in W10 using all the MS advice on running on W98 compatibility even though the trouble shooter and compatibility fixer says FIXED.

When I open after the fix I get a whirling blue symbol and then it stops and no new screen comes up.

Has anyone out there been able to load and run this specific program in W10?

If so I'd appreciate your sage advice.

SKIP.CAMERON, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Joe9090 Win User

Running Programs for a standard user

Hello

You mentioned checking the the box 'Run as Administrator'

This is the opposite of what I require ,I wanted to avoid running programs as admin . By unchecking 'Run As Administrator' I am still getting an admin credential verification prompt

Any further suggestions ?

Joe9090, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems running a legacy program - Similar Threads - Problems running legacy

2. run a legacy cpl elevated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    run a legacy cpl elevated: Evertime I try to open a folder a windows notification appear saying run a legacy cpl elevated and don't matter if i allow or not it keep appearing and i cannot open the folder...
  3. run a legacy cpl elevated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    run a legacy cpl elevated: Evertime I try to open a folder a windows notification appear saying run a legacy cpl elevated and don't matter if i allow or not it keep appearing and i cannot open the folder...
  4. problem when running java program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem when running java program: Hello. I am working on a simple program in the Java programming language. Everything is happening in the VS Code text editor. When I compile it using javac, everything is fine. However, when I run the program, the terminal displays the following text: Р?С?Р?С? РєР?Р?...
  5. problem when running java program

in Windows 10 Customization
    problem when running java program: Hello. I am working on a simple program in the Java programming language. Everything is happening in the VS Code text editor. When I compile it using javac, everything is fine. However, when I run the program, the terminal displays the following text: Р?С?Р?С? РєР?Р?...
  6. Problem running game program [Fallout76]

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Problem running game program [Fallout76]: While Running Fallout 76 game. Windows Said Program Stop running, Will Send Problem to Microsoft. Can someone help me. Dave.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-running-game-program-fallout76/11222875-e729-4115-af6c-d8b27515cb8a
  7. legacy program is blocked by administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    legacy program is blocked by administrator: My computer has locked a program that I use all the time. Error displayed is "for your protection an administrator has locked/blocked this program". help is greatly appreciated Kougot...
  8. running legacy codes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    running legacy codes: Trying to run a legacy code , and get the following error: what does it mean? How do I trace the error? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-legacy-codes/d7dae0a6-1964-4afc-acbf-aad69bc485c7
  9. Legacy Geneaology Program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy Geneaology Program: G'Day I NEED some help Please. I had to buy a new laptop its a ASUS with Windows, as I had a previous ASUS which was a magic computer Now with the new ASUS with Windows 10, I find I cant download the Legacy Geneaology, it takes me to the APP section, and I cant download...
  10. Problem running many program

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem running many program: Hello guys, I have problem with windows 10, I want running 100 programs at one time but my windows only run 30 programs, is there any limitation at windows 10? Please help me,I dont know what to do now, your help very appreciate, thank you. 104864