Windows 10: Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays

Discus and support Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having this issue with my touch pad for about a month now - or it could have been longer because I generally use a wireless mouse and not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by waffleicious, May 9, 2020.

1. Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays

I've been having this issue with my touch pad for about a month now - or it could have been longer because I generally use a wireless mouse and not the touch pad.

It started with me not being able to scroll with two fingers ONLY in the Start Menu. I searched for other people with similar issues and tried many fixes, including increasing the sensitivity of scrolling, updating touch pad drivers, turning off scrolling acceleration, etc and nothing really worked.

What I found was that if I increased my two-finger scroll sensitivity to max through my Elan Smart-Pad drivers, I could scroll through the Start Menu, but only horizontally. I had never tried horizontal scrolling on the touch pad before, so I reduced the scrolling speed to normal and found that if I went strictly horizontal, it would scroll in the Start Menu, but very VERY slowly. Increasing my scrolling sensitivity to the max allowed me to scroll in the Start Menu but made it impossible to delicately scroll in web pages or file folders.

Now, I've noticed that I cannot scroll with two fingers at all while in Task View a feature that I rarely used in the past - no matter what my scroll sensitivity is set to.

I feel like all of this oints to an issue with my touch pad drivers but I just updated them right before posting this and nothing seems to have changed.

I only have an issue in certain Windows Explorer overlays and the scrolling works fine in other applications. Any recommendations on how I should proceed?

I am running on a Lenovo Ideapad y700-15ISK 80NV with an ELAN pointing device.

Upon looking further into the mouse properties, it says that the driver installed is from 2016 even though I just downloaded and installed the latest one 2019 from Lenovo's website. Maybe there is a way I can go in through Device Manager and remove the mouse then manually reinstall it with updated drivers?

:)

waffleicious, May 9, 2020

2. Certain window items bounce on Scrolling

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know if your touchpad functionality is fine other than the mentioned issue?

As you are facing issues with scroll options in few of the applications on Windows 10. Try the below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to change the mouse & touchpad settings and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type mouse
      and select Mouse & touchpad settings.
    • Choose appropriately with the following options and check if the issue persists.
    • Roll the mouse wheel to scroll
    • Choose how many lines to scroll each time

Method 2:

Step 1: As you are using touchpad, I suggest you to use different mouse to different ports and check if it helps.

Step 2: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, May 9, 2020
  3. Touchpad 2 finger scrolling not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed I would like you to answer the following question:

• Do you receive any error message?
    • Have you enabled two finger scrolling?
    I suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1:

I suggest you to enable two finger scrolling and check. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press or tap “Windows key + X”, click on "Control Panel." Navigate to "Mouse," under "Hardware and sound".

2. Select the "Touchpad" tab in the "Mouse" window. This tab will also list the touchpad manufacturer.

3. Select "Properties," "Settings," "Advanced".

4. Click the box next to "Enable scrolling" if this option is available.

5. Click the arrow to the right of "Scrolling" to open the scrolling list and select two-finger scrolling to access the specific features.

6. Click to enable for two-finger scrolling feature, then select "Adjust scrolling region" or the similar option, if available.

7. Drag the scrolling region to cover a larger portion of the touchpad if you want to ensure you can scroll easily.

8. Click "Ok" to apply any changes and close the options windows. Keep clicking "Ok" until all of the windows with this option are closed.

9. Restart your computer if prompted. Your scrolling feature should be enabled.

If the issue persists,

Method 2:

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the touchpad driver and check.

Refer the steps below to uninstall device driver:

• Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit ENTER.
    • Locate Keyboard Driver and expand the same.
    • Right-click on touchpad driver and click on Uninstall button to uninstall the driver associated with the device.
    • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    Also, download and install the latest touchpad drivers from the manufacturer website .

Please refer the article below:

Support für XPS 15Z L511Z | Treiber und Downloads | Dell Deutschland

If driver for Windows 10 is not available then I suggest you
    to install the driver in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below to install the drivers in compatibility with Windows 10.

• Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please get back to us with updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, May 9, 2020
  4. MIRFAN2 Win User

Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays

Touchpad Scroll Issue

I got a problem with touchpad scroll. scroll is not working. window help showed me options, but those options are not available in my laptop. any suggestion to fix

MIRFAN2, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays

1. Problems scrolling with touchpad only on certain overlays - Similar Threads - Problems scrolling touchpad

2. Scrolling with the touchpad now ONLY performs the scroll after I let go of the touchpad.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scrolling with the touchpad now ONLY performs the scroll after I let go of the touchpad.: This suddenly happened while I was reading something. I didn't change any settings.Before this happened, I was able to scroll the page while my fingers were still on the touchpad. Now it just moves a little bit when I touch it and it waits until I let go before it scrolls....
  3. Scrolling with the touchpad now ONLY performs the scroll after I let go of the touchpad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scrolling with the touchpad now ONLY performs the scroll after I let go of the touchpad.: This suddenly happened while I was reading something. I didn't change any settings.Before this happened, I was able to scroll the page while my fingers were still on the touchpad. Now it just moves a little bit when I touch it and it waits until I let go before it scrolls....
  4. Scrolling with the touchpad now ONLY performs the scroll after I let go of the touchpad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. touchpad problem to scroll with 2 fingers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    touchpad problem to scroll with 2 fingers: hi i am gautami have an problem to use touchpad .I cannot use touchpad i want to scroll with 2 fingers but i doesn't plz give e a solution with step by step...
  6. touchpad problem to scroll with 2 fingers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    touchpad problem to scroll with 2 fingers: hi i am gautami have an problem to use touchpad .I cannot use touchpad i want to scroll with 2 fingers but i doesn't plz give e a solution with step by step...
  7. Touchpad not scrolling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad not scrolling: Hi,I have a Windows 11 computer. It is the HP Hewlett-Packed Computer.For some reason, my computer's touchpad won't move the cursor sometimes, or it cannot scroll with two fingers.From, SeowoongChang....
  8. scrolling on touchpad

scrolling on touchpad: Lost two finger scrolling...settings not available for touchpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrolling-on-touchpad/63e43673-c34a-4fee-8b9e-27598a5b7712
  9. Touchpad scroll

Touchpad scroll: [IMG]I can’t use the two finger scroll on my laptop I tried many things as going to control panel and device and printers >> mouse and I cannot find device settings tab ! Also i tried the pointers method and didn’t work...
  10. Problem in touchpad scrolling

Problem in touchpad scrolling: My touchpad was working fine but today I am not able to scroll using it , also the cursor stucks for sometime at a point , at that point I can use left and right but cannot move it using touchpad . Also there are no new driver updates available so as to install them. I am...