Windows 10: Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana

Discus and support Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Cortana seems to be highly hesitant to search for .exe files. Some files don't appear at all, even though I have manually added them to the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SuperKael, Jan 30, 2017.

1. SuperKael Win User

Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana

Cortana seems to be highly hesitant to search for .exe files. Some files don't appear at all, even though I have manually added them to the search index. Other files appear, but then after a second or two disappear from the results and get replaced with a recommendation to do a web search for it... It's worth note that, with the files that appear for a second, if I click them before they disappear they do in fact open the relevant program.

:)

SuperKael, Jan 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 Start Menu Search not finding shortcuts

Did more testing, confirmed .exe was being indexed. Windows 10 search doesn't find exe's anywhere, not on desktop, downloads or any other indexed location. It only finds installed apps on the My Apps list.

I did find ClassicShell (classicshell.net) Window 7 search does find exe's. It found zuma.exe on the desktop and adwcleaner.exe in a Utilities folder on my desktop. Searching for *.exe found 300+ in various folders, some not even indexed. I even made a
    fake putty.exe on my desktop by renaming a text file, it found it.

Looks like Windows 10 search is filtering exe's.

TheCaretaker1, Jan 30, 2017
  3. windows 10 search option doesn't find apps

Did more testing, confirmed .exe was being indexed. Windows 10 search doesn't find exe's anywhere, not on desktop, downloads or any other indexed location. It only finds installed apps on the My Apps list.

I did find ClassicShell (classicshell.net) Window 7 search does find exe's. It found zuma.exe on the desktop and adwcleaner.exe in a Utilities folder on my desktop. Searching for *.exe found 300+ in various folders, some not even indexed. I even made a
    fake putty.exe on my desktop by renaming a text file, it found it.

Looks like Windows 10 search is filtering exe's.

TheCaretaker1, Jan 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You're right about exe files- last this was raised some months ago it doesn't.

Cortana only searches files and folders that have been indexed by Windows search (Control panel, Indexing Options), and not exe files as I recall.

If you want proper tools, try
    a. Classic Shell (free start menu, highly configurable with good customisable search box)
    b. One of
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32
    Everything

- free instant find-as-you-type over all disks and partitions (or whatever range you specify down to a folder) with GUI support for size, date etc. Ultrasearch and Locate32 also support searching within text files found (but don't index text files unlike Windows search).

I'm not familiar with your other observation, and assume by manually adding?? how? them to the index, you mean you've included the containing folder in indexed locations.

dalchina, Jan 31, 2017
  5. SuperKael Win User
    Yes, I have tried adding the folders directly containing the files I want to access to the index options, to no avail. I don't want to use another program, I like Cortana other than this issue. In addition, Cortana DOES bring up the files, but they disappear from the list of options after a moment. It also used to work all the time, but after I was forced to reinstall windows a while ago, it no longer works properly anymore.

SuperKael, Feb 1, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I wish you luck with that.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana - Similar Threads - Problems searching Desktop

2. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.: Forgive me, as this is gonna be a long one, but I've been going through this for hours and I'm gonna be as detailed as possible in simple terms. There's an issue with some of the apps, but my priority is the search bar that's ceasing to function, which looks like those apps...
  3. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.: Forgive me, as this is gonna be a long one, but I've been going through this for hours and I'm gonna be as detailed as possible in simple terms. There's an issue with some of the apps, but my priority is the search bar that's ceasing to function, which looks like those apps...
  4. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Cortana
  5. Problem with Python .exe apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with Python .exe apps: Hi,I've made a python program and I converted it to .exe file using pyinstaller. But the defender detects it as a trojan. Is there any way to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-with-python-exe-apps/e55c4306-a52b-4dad-b93b-d43de1552236
  6. Cortana problem- Cortana task bar box will not generate a search

in Cortana
    Cortana problem- Cortana task bar box will not generate a search: Cortana task bar box will not generate a search. I have windows 10 * Moved from MSN * Original title: Cortana problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-problem-cortana-task-bar-box-will-not/188ac747-0f46-4154-9f7c-9d66fc3855b5
  7. Cortana & Search

in Cortana
    Cortana & Search: Dear Sirs Recently my Cortana has stopped searching, stating that there is no internet connection. However, the internet connection is fine and and strong and nothing else reports this problem. I have no problems browsing at all. What's going on?...
  8. Problem facing with Cortana and search

in Cortana
    Problem facing with Cortana and search: I am attaching 2 screenshots without writing a lot. Two irritating problems that I faced in this version 1809 are Cortana doesn't listen to me. just showing like the photo and after 1/2 second closed down. I have tested "listen to the device" that works fine when I search...
  9. Cortana fails to search apps

in Cortana
    Cortana fails to search apps: Dear Community, everytime when I want to start an app and I start typing in cortana it turns white. Seen in the screenshot. Any ideas what could be done? [ATTACH]...
  10. Cortana and search bar problems

in Cortana
    Cortana and search bar problems: Hey! I have two different problems concerning me with regards to Cortana and the search bar respectively. So the problem I am facing with Cortana is that she won't respond to anything I say. I tried setting up a microphone and in fact when I say "Hey Cortana", Cortana...