Windows 10: Problems starting some Store apps (not all).

Discus and support Problems starting some Store apps (not all). in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've had this problem ever since Anniversary upgrade on one of my machines (a Dell). At the same time, the problem does not exist on my older HP.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vidfamne, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Vidfamne Win User

Problems starting some Store apps (not all).

I've had this problem ever since Anniversary upgrade on one of my machines (a Dell). At the same time, the problem does not exist on my older HP.

I've discussed it here before, but I still have not gotten any results, so I thought a new thread would be better...

Summary: I log in as a user with admin role. Whenever I try to open some apps (not the built-in), it seems to start up, but after a second it just closes.

I've tried a lot of things, like Sfc /Scannow, DISM (with several different params), repair upgrade, Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} and a bunch of others including trying to take ownership of the WindowsApps folder, <user>\Appdata\Local\Packages etc to no awail.

I even today tried to install a new game (MS Sudoku) with the same result.

If I look into eventviewer, I see eg DistributedCOM event 10001 errors (I can provide screenshots if required).

I've used NTFS Permissions Reporter to compare the two machines and used one of the non-working apps as an example; Looking at the WindowsApps folder structure, there were no differences whatsoever between the two machines. On the \Appdata\Local\Packages structure, there where a few, but as far as I could see, nothing significant as I had full permissions on both for my account.

Interestingly, if I create a new admin-user to access the Store and download an app, I get an error; ox80070005...

Of course, I've googled on all errors I've found, and tried any suggestions, but still cannot get the damned things to work.

At this point, I'm not interested in a clean Windows install, since I have to many things installed on the machine that still works and the ones not working are mainly games, so they are not really important, although they are annoying to not get them running, especially since I've paid for some of them and the HP doesn't have the hardware to run them...

And since they worked before Anniversary upgrade, I feel it's a bug within windows 10 that need to be addressed by MS.

Oh, I forgot, at one time after Anniversary Upgrade, I got it to work with a repair upgrade, although the next upgrade Spring -18, broke the thing again. Most annoying was that I had created a system restore point at that time (no full backup though as I expected the restorepoint to suffice), however the Spring -18 upgrade removed the system restore point!!!! (Bl-dy stupid action of the upgrade)...

Anyway, has anyone heard anything from MS if they ever plan to fix this bug? I see from the different forums that there are lots of us with similair problems....

:)

Vidfamne, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Windows Store problem

Hi,

In order to diagnose the issue, we suggest that you try the following methods:

Method 1: Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

The Windows Store Apps troubleshooter fixes problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working properly. To run it, follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Troubleshooting, and click on
      Troubleshooting
      from the results.
    • On the left pane, click View all.
    • Click Windows Store Apps.

Method 2: Clear Windows Store app cache.

We suggest you to manually reset Windows Store app cache then try to download the game again. To manually reset, follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type CMD, and right-click CMD
      from the results.
    • Click Run as administrator.
    • Type wsreset, and press Enter.

Make sure that you are logged in to your computer using your Microsoft account.

We also suggest that you download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows Update and check if it helps resolve the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gino Des, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Twiiter on Windows 10 - or general app store problem

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to reset Windows Store by following the steps provided below:

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “wsreset.exe” and press enter.
    After the Windows Store is reset, uninstall and reinstall Twitter App from Windows Store and check if the issue persists.

Hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Problems starting some Store apps (not all). :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Problems starting some Store apps (not all). - Similar Threads - Problems starting Store

2. problem with store app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with store app: can i get help about my Microsoft I'm trying to download Microsoft office but I'm failing please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-store-app/92739b9d-da4e-49b6-8680-081a53cdfe79
  3. All windows store apps are not starting including Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    All windows store apps are not starting including Microsoft Store: Basically they're not startingThey don't even give any error messages except for Photos and Movies & TV which shows the message"The app didn't start." along with the path of the file above the messagealso Microsoft Store isn't starting not even with a error message it just...
  4. App Store problem

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App Store problem: I can't download all kinds of apps and games on my windows phone. I have used window 10 in my phone so I do now. I have also email problem. I can't sign in with my gmail on this phone. so [please help me as soon as possible. Thank you...
  5. Some apps crash on start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some apps crash on start: The issue came up yesterday. Some apps on my computer won’t start and I don’t understand why this is happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-apps-crash-on-start/3029d2b8-8d96-4d37-8f63-17802031df65
  6. All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user

All programs except Windows store apps disappeared for some user: Hi All, I recently deplyed new desktops with Windows 10 1809 installed on it. All of sudden some users have lost all the programs from the start menu. If i login then it works fine but if they login then there is no shortcuts at the start menu. It works fine if they go to...
  7. Some Windows Store Apps won't start, tried many things

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Windows Store Apps won't start, tried many things: Alright so I have been dealing with this for months now. Some apps won't open, such as Photos and To-Do List for example. Some do open, like Calculator and the Store opens for me as well unlike some people who reported the same problem. I have tried pretty much everything I...
  8. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app: To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps" copy *.lnk...
  9. Removing Store Apps From All Apps On Start Menu

Removing Store Apps From All Apps On Start Menu: I want to organize the All Apps list on the Start Menu, but I need to get rid of the apps that clutter it up. I would prefer to do it without replacing the start menu with something like Classic Shell and I don't want to delete all the apps, so I've been attempting to find a...
  10. It all started with the Start Menu problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    It all started with the Start Menu problem: It all started with the start menu not opening up. I tried a couple things, but I had to create another user for myself. The problem now its giving my the oops something went wrong error when prompted for my local password when trying to switch from a local to the Microsoft...