Windows 10: Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

Discus and support Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 C drives (GAMES & VIDEO), both SSD with win10 but also have a "D" drive for files and downloads. Every time I swap the SSDs, I have access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by catweazel111, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

I have 2 C drives (GAMES & VIDEO), both SSD with win10 but also have a "D" drive for files and downloads. Every time I swap the SSDs, I have access issues to D drive. I need to go into the folders on D drive to allow permission then go back to C drive to open a file (from D drive) with an app on C drive.

Got an idea its a security/sharing issue with Windows 10. Been doing this for years with other versions of windows and no problems. *Sad

:)

catweazel111, Mar 28, 2016

2. Combining harddrive partitions

I have windows 10 64 bit with hard drive partitioned as C & D. C drive windows and system files. I want to create a single C drive combining D drive in to C drive.

Please help.

Sunil Pradhan, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Drive Partition

I have windows 10 on my laptop with drive C (222GB) and drive D (219GB). Due to some reason I want to combine my D drive with C drive to create single C drive of 440 GB. Please advise the utility.

Sunil Pradhan, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

The two OSes will continue to over-write the permissions because you using a convoluted dual-boot system.

I'm curious why you are running two different setups. Why not just run one version for both tasks?

DeaconFrost, Mar 29, 2016
  5. I use one hard drive for gaming and general use and use the other strickly for video editing.
    I don't want to clog up one drive with too many programs so I can keep Windows operating at its best.

I have used this with other versions of windows with no hassles.
    If I set up both drives the same as far as permissions, it shouldn't matter when I swap them I would have thought.
    The secret is to know exactly what permissions then go through both drives.

Both SSD's are only 128 GB as well.

catweazel111, Apr 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem is that even though the names of the user accounts are the same on both Windows 10 drives, the security identifier is different. The SID is a unique number assigned to each user account when it is created (just like the GUID assigned to hard drive partitions).

To see the SIDs of user accounts on the computer, open a command prompt and enter:
    wmic useraccount get name,sid

The issue is that the security menu that sets permissions on files uses the user name to set permissions, but the underlying security system uses SIDs. So, when you swap hard drives/SSDs, even though the username is the same, the SID is different, so you have to reset the permissions each time to reset the SID.

The workaround should be to have different user names on your two different SSD/HHDs. Or, on the D: drive files if you add Everyone to the permissions, I would think that would work as well.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  7. That won't affect how Windows runs...never has. It's what's running in the system tray that affects performance. Back with Windows XP, you needed to do regular maintenance to keep Windows running smooth. Starting with 7 and especially now with 10, the systems run well as long as you follow the usual best practices.

DeaconFrost, Apr 3, 2016
  8. Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

I've reloaded windows 10 on a formatted SSD. I created a different user from the other one. I've managed to share the "D" drive to everyone.
    Also managed to get the MSCONFIG to stay on "normal startup" in case it was closing apps required by sharing.
    The good news is my USB3 speeds are now at usb3 speeds not usb2, the bad new is I still get a popup stating You don't currently have permission to access this folder" when I open any folder on the "D" drive. After I open it the once its OK.

catweazel111, Apr 4, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
  10. Never heard of this before. Will give it a go. Thanks for the help.

Dave

catweazel111, Apr 4, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Sharing D Drive to Everyone is not enough. Right click on D Drive->Properties->Security and add a user "Everyone" and give it full control. Click Apply

Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2016
  12. Added this but didnt make any difference.

catweazel111, Apr 7, 2016
  13. Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

I'm going on the concept that you don't need to run two versions of Windows. There was a time, way back even before XP that you would configure two hardware profiles, but those days are long, long gone. If you build one install that's optimized, you can use it for all of your needs. K.I.S.S. is the motto.

DeaconFrost, Apr 7, 2016
  14. having major issues now. Can't access the D drive at all. Keep getting the following popup which I haven't seen before. Any Ideas?
    Even if I can drag the data off and reformat.

Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive. [​IMG]

catweazel111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

1. Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive. - Similar Threads - Problems swapping drives

2. Swapping C and D drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  3. Swapping C and D drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  4. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  5. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  6. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  7. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  8. Problems with c and d drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems with c and d drives: Hello, I just purchased a notebook with an GB memory 128 GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. When transferring all my files onto the new computer, everything went to the onedrive, which doesn't have enough space either and I didn't want to use it. I figured out how to delete...
  9. My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...: Hi, after using my laptop a few days ago, I decided to reboot and windows couldn't boot. After trying every possible fix without success, I had to reinstall windows via a USB stick. I took a photo of my volumes after reinstalling windows. Everything was ok. [ATTACH]...
  10. How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??: I have a Desktop PC with three SSDs for various apps and programs of which one of them is 500Gb which only has Windows 10 installed on it. What's the best way to go about swapping out this 500Gb SSD which is the 'C' Drive' for a larger capacity SSD?? I've got a backup of my...