Windows 10: Problems switching between keyboard layouts

Discus and support Problems switching between keyboard layouts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am having trouble switching between keyboard layouts for different languages. English is my default setting and I have the language packs for 4 other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KailebKim, Apr 8, 2020.

1. KailebKim Win User

Problems switching between keyboard layouts

I am having trouble switching between keyboard layouts for different languages. English is my default setting and I have the language packs for 4 other languages installed. However, the language selection icon the one that normally appears in the lower righthand corner doesn't show up and when I press the shortcut key to switch layouts Start + space, nothing happens. What's the issue?

:)

KailebKim, Apr 8, 2020

2. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Apr 8, 2020
  3. [EXIT] Win User
    switching keyboard layouts between devices

I recently bought a surface book on a holiday to USA and it has a US keyboard layout. When I set this device to use the US keyboard layout it switched all of the other devices on my account to suit. How can I set the surface book to a US keyboard Layout
    but keep my desktop, laptop and tablet on the UK keyboard layout (which is the keyboard layout they all use) but still all attached to the my Microsoft account?

Step by step instructions would be appreciated for an idiot.

Thanks

[EXIT], Apr 8, 2020
  4. Problems switching between keyboard layouts

problem with switching keyboard layout with hot keys

Hi Iryna,

You've mentioned that switching the languages when a browser or Word application is open doesn't work. There are shortcuts that may not work if the program or browser has its own functions being used. Regarding this concern, we'd like to know if you were
    able to try using the Windows key and the Spacebar in switching the languages instead. If you haven't tried it yet, you may refer to this
    link.

Once you're on the page, go to the Switch between keyboard layouts or input methods section. The link will also provide you steps on how to add a new language on your computer.

Note: The steps listed on the link only shows for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but it also applies to Windows 10.

Let us know if you have other queries that we can assist you with.

Eileen Gal, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Problems switching between keyboard layouts

1. Problems switching between keyboard layouts - Similar Threads - Problems switching between

2. Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?: The default keyboard shortcut to change the keyboard layout is Win+Spacebar as seen in the picture. But there is also another shortcut: if you hold Control and press Shift it will also switch between the layouts. This is very inconvenient because there are other software...
  3. Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?: The default keyboard shortcut to change the keyboard layout is Win+Spacebar as seen in the picture. But there is also another shortcut: if you hold Control and press Shift it will also switch between the layouts. This is very inconvenient because there are other software...
  4. Keyboard layout - Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard layout - Problem: Hi all,I've got a problem with my keyboard layout.The following keys aren't working anymore which i'm sure of : q,z, capslock, TAB , ESC , nearly all F functions. and some keys have a different function such as "=@ , @=".I´ve tried a lot of standard solutions:1 Alt shift2...
  5. Language keyboard layout switching issue

Language keyboard layout switching issue: Hello, Since a few weeks, I have some troubles with the language preferences : I'm a french user of a qwerty keyboard because qwerty is the best<3 but obviously, I need to switch to the french layout when I want to type the accented letters. For more than a year I had no...
  6. Keyboard layout switching issue

Keyboard layout switching issue: Hello, I use Windows 10. In my system there are several combination of language/keyboard layout: - English/United States-International QWERTY - English/US QWERTY - Russian/Russian - French/United States-International QWERTY - French/French AZERTY I try to configure...
  7. Auto-switch keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto-switch keyboard layout?: I have 2 keyboards with different layouts (US-International and PT-ABNT2) I switch back and forth between. I currently have a shortcut set to change layouts. Is there any way to configure Windows 10 so it automatically switches to the correct layout based on the keyboard I'm...
  8. Keyboard layout syncing between computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard layout syncing between computers: Hi, I have 2 computers, one is AZERTY the other is QWERTY. However the setting is applied to my QWERTY computer gets transferred to my AZERTY one so my keys don't match, is there somewhere I can log in to my account but not make the keyboard layout sync between the two?...
  9. Keyboard layout problem

Keyboard layout problem: Hello, I hava a dell g7 with japanese keyboard and Japanese Windows 10 1809 (pro). I installed all the language packs to add english and italian languages and inputs, so now I have a completely english OS + italian and japanese. The problem I have is that the physical...
  10. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout: When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it). Now when I switch...