Windows 10: Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

Discus and support Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am having a few problems making changes on my Windows 10 Pro system on a gamer computer with Core i9 7940x and ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by the_steve_randolph, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

I am having a few problems making changes on my Windows 10 Pro system on a gamer computer with Core i9 7940x and ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II motherboard. My boot drive is an SSD that is currently MBR, which I understand needs to be converted to GPT to be able to run Secure Boot and Windows 11. I have seen no indications online that my hardware and BIOS/UEFI cannot handle the upgrade.I seem to be having problems with doing a few steps in the proper sequence. I have found multiple places online that provide utilities to convert the SSD to GPT, and, I already have AOMEI Partition Assistant

:)

the_steve_randolph, Jan 4, 2022
  2. swarfega Win User

preparing to upgrade

You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Jan 4, 2022
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 4, 2022
  4. Mussels Win User

Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jan 4, 2022
Thema:

Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

1. Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Problems trying prepare

2. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  3. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  4. What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?: I haven't yet gone ahead with the W11 update. Is there a risk of losing data, files and downloaded software? If so, are there any good free recovery/restore or backup options?Many thanks in advance.Kind regards...
  5. What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?

What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?: I haven't yet gone ahead with the W11 update. Is there a risk of losing data, files and downloaded software? If so, are there any good free recovery/restore or backup options?Many thanks in advance.Kind regards...
  6. What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11: I am having a few problems making changes on my Windows 10 Pro system on a gamer computer with Core i9 7940x and ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II motherboard. My boot drive is an SSD that is currently MBR, which I understand needs to be converted to GPT to be able to run...
  8. Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11

Problems trying to prepare my hardware to upgrade to Windows 11: I am having a few problems making changes on my Windows 10 Pro system on a gamer computer with Core i9 7940x and ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II motherboard. My boot drive is an SSD that is currently MBR, which I understand needs to be converted to GPT to be able to run...
  9. problems after a hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    problems after a hardware upgrade: so, I had just updated some hardware, and now, my windows is no longer active, i tried to activate it, and it wont let me connect to the device that the old activation key was affiliated with. to make it worse, when trying to get into my account to change info, it locked me...
  10. preparing to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparing to upgrade: Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to work? Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing? 38516