Windows 10: Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10

Discus and support Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had to turn off my Defender to enable System Restore. After that had completed I went back to Defender to turn it back on. But whatever I do it's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Taffy087, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Taffy087 Win User

Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10

I had to turn off my Defender to enable System Restore. After that had completed I went back to Defender to turn it back on. But whatever I do it's still showing an error.

All the replies in Bing say

To turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off, select the Windows logo Start button, and then select Settings / Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & Security > Firewall & network protection. Choose a network profile, and then under Windows Defender Firewall, switch the setting to On or Off

but I haven't got an On/Off setting - and mine says Windows Security, not Defender.

Now I trying to turn it back on, I see an alert against App & browser control. Digging down, I see the following options and current settings:

In App & browser control my settings are Check apps & files (Block/Warn/Off) - mine is set to Warn
    In Smart Screen for MS Edge: (Block/Warn/Off) - mine is set to Warn
    and in SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps, (Warn/Off) - mine is set to Warn

Where am I going wrong please? When someone resolves it for me I can then run System Restore again. I got error0x80070005. This happened to me last time and when I find my notes I'm pretty sure that I resolved it using an advanced recovery method, And instead of the DOS white text on black I'm again pretty sure it was black on white. My details are saved in a missing Favourites Screen Print!)

:)

Taffy087, Feb 3, 2019

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

Hi Ahmed,

Since you're not able to turn on Windows Defender as well, we'd like to know if you have made any changes recently prior to this issue. In the meantime, you may follow the steps below on how to turn on Windows Defender manually:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection recommended option is turned on.
    Same thing with the other members who are having the same issue, we suggest that you check if the service was setup to
    Automatic in the Services option. Please follow the steps that we've provided last
    September 3, 2017.

Let us know how if you were able to turn it on properly by changing the Startup type to Automatic.

Eileen Gal, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows Defender of Windows 10 stoped working and is not turning on

Hello NasirMahmood1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Have you installed any third party anti-virus software?

Step 1: Turn Windows Defender Service On.

Initially, we need to check with the status of
    Windows Defender Service which might be stopping the defender to turn on.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      services.msc and press Enter key.
    • Search for Windows Defender Service and check if it has been started.
    • Right click on Windows Defender Service and click on
      Restart.

Step 2: Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy.

As you are on Windows 10 Pro build, I would suggest
    gpedit.msc
    settings from the following link and set it to Disabled or not configured to
    turn on real time protection setting. Follow the steps mentioned under
    Disable real-time protection from the article-
    Enable and configure antivirus always-on protection and monitoring

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10

How to turn on Windows defender in Windows 10

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Windows Defender is the default real-time (always on) protection program in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.

• Click on Update & Security.

• Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10

1. Problems turning Defender back on. Window 10 - Similar Threads - Problems turning Defender

2. why won't windows defender turn back on?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why won't windows defender turn back on?: error code 0x80070005 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-wont-windows-defender-turn-back-on/07e4aeb7-ff3e-4ec4-aeb4-230bbada877b
  3. Problem Turn on Windows Defender

Problem Turn on Windows Defender: I can't turn on my windows defender security center in Window Defender at Update and Security. When I click "Turn on windows defender antivirus", it takes a long time to run and the windows of it suddenly appears. [Original Title: Windows Defender]...
  4. Windows Defender is turned off and i cant turn it back on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender is turned off and i cant turn it back on: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/unforgivableaf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hypkcb/windows_defender_is_turned_off_and_i_cant_turn_it/
  5. Problem Turn on Windows Defender

Problem Turn on Windows Defender: I have tried EVERY possible solution found on the interwebs to get Windows Defender to open and run, with absolutely no luck/ I get the 'you need an app to open warning'. This is the most annoying delema I have run into. BTW, it has NEVER worked even with the initial...
  6. Problem Turn on Windows Defender

Problem Turn on Windows Defender: when i start my computer windows defender sayes defender is not switched on click the box to turn on or restart computer , why does it not stay switched on when shutting down and when starting ? [Original Title: Windows defender]...
  7. Problem Turn on Windows Defender

Problem Turn on Windows Defender: when i start my computer windows defender sayes defender is not switched on click the box to turn on or restart computer , why does it not stay switched on when shutting down and when starting ? [Original Title: Windows defender]...
  8. Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.

Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.: Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender/13a2ef85-05bd-4bef-8c77-923e1e371852
  9. Problem Turn on Windows Defender

Problem Turn on Windows Defender: Split from this thread. cannot turn on my windows defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/problem-turn-on-windows-defender/ab407004-7fac-4537-b28c-c49c4fd35ae7
  10. My windows Defender won't turn back on

My windows Defender won't turn back on: I open up Windows defender Antivirus and I click restart Windows Defender Protection and it reads error cant turn Windows on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/my-windows-defender-wont-turn-back-on/5109e040-df5f-43a7-98af-f08f1d525957"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defender 10 not turning back on

2. turn back windows defender after sticky key