Windows 10: Problems Upgrading to an SSD

Discus and support Problems Upgrading to an SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3576. I have a 1 TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cim, Mar 7, 2020.

1. CIM
    Cim Win User

Problems Upgrading to an SSD

Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657)

I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3576. I have a 1 TB Seagate HDD. It is in good condition, I just wanted the upgrade in speed.

I followed the instructions from Crucial by using Acronis to clone my drive. Success. I swapped out the drives and the system worked great for a couple of hours before I got the BSOD - (cannot detect Hard Drive) The system tried to repair itself but couldn't do it. I unplugged my computer, took out the battery, put the batter back in, and plugged it up again. The computer worked great for a couple of more hours then crashed again.

I thought perhaps Acronis didn't get the job done so I did an experiment.

I cloned the SSD on an older HP computer using Macrium Reflect 7 (free version), put the SSD in my HP and the SSD worked the entire day - SO I decided to try my Dell again using Macrium. My Dell worked for 8 hours. All was good. I left my computer to do some chores. When I got back, the BSOD was waiting for me. (cannot detect Hard Drive)

I don't think the problem was the cloning software. I can only think of two things that might be the problem.

1. I got a bad SSD.
    2. The main partition of my Dell Seagate HDD has Device Encryption turned on. (My HP does not have that option) Macrium detected the Device Encryption and reported that it would clone the drive unencrypted and that I could turn it back on later. I had not turned it back on before it crashed.

Could the Device Encryption be causing the cloning process to fail in this way - where the computer works perfectly for hours then crashes?

Should I turn off Device Encryption and try again? I'm a bit concerned about doing this. I don't want to mess up my computer.

What do you think. Bad Drive? Bad Cloning? Device Encryption? I'm lost.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out.

:)

2. Video card or RAM need upgrading?

Memtest: no errors after 10 hrs.
    I'm going to perform the Primetest, later on. Get back to you on that.
    I'm going to take it step by step, guys. I need to find the problem with this current computer. I might have to upgrade some components, so that it is still runnable. As for the new one, yes....i will build on it later. I need to find something decent 'gaming experience', all suggestions appreciated. THanks.

itsmeitsme, Mar 7, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Morgoth Win User

im upgrading Problems Upgrading to an SSD :)

got a new job, means i get enough cash to upgrade *Big Grin Problems Upgrading to an SSD :D
    this is my list

CPU: Intel Xeon W5590
    GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 7970 3gb

SSD: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB
    PCi-e SSD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-240G PCI-E MLC Solid State Drive SSD

anny other suggestions for my system? *Big Grin Problems Upgrading to an SSD :D

Morgoth, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Problems Upgrading to an SSD - Similar Threads - Problems Upgrading SSD

2. Upgrading ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading ssd: Would I need to buy a new windows 11 OS key if I upgrade my ssd to a larger capacity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd/006bae5e-6a8c-4d39-92c8-bf248cce0d91
  3. Upgrade to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to SSD: Hi All. I'm new on here so hello first of all, and I'm hoping you can give me some advice and tips. I have successfully upgraded a few desktop pc's to SSD at work, using Acronis cloning software and haven't come across any issues with them. it is a simple process of...
  4. Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade: [ATTACH] Hi, I got a new NVME-SSD for Christmas. I inserted it into the second M2-slot of my mainboard. In the first slot is my "old" SATA-SSD. I would have had to dissasemble the whole computer to get access to the first slot. Next I cloned my partitions from the old to...
  5. SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Upgrade: Hi I have just upgraded my HP Envy laptop from a HDD to the SSD, in particular the Samsung 870 QVO 1TB drive.. Reading on the web I notice that SSD's have a lifespan and this drive is warranted from Samsung for 3 years or 360TBW.. Using there software it shows that since...
  6. Upgrading SSD

Upgrading SSD: Good day, I would like to ask since I am thinking of upgrading my M.2 Sata III SSD to a much bigger one. Is there a way to duplicate my Windows 10 Home to the newly bought SSD without loosing my files and as well my license of Windows. If so I would like to ask how and the...
  7. Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...

Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...: So, yes, I am a newby here, and know just enough to be dangerous... So please flame me gently! I have an HP laptop with 128gb SSD and 1tb hdd. OS lives on the SSD, which is too small. So I am trying to upgrade the SSD to 1tb. I cloned the existing SSD to my new 1tb SSD via...
  8. Upgrade to SSD

Upgrade to SSD: Hi there.. how can I use my SSD for my windows 10 OS, programs and HDD for storage? I tried to clone it but, only got 120GB SSD and my (C) drive got 220GB. should I do clean install or can I just clone my OS to SSD? is there way to do it? Thanks In Advance.....
  9. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888
  10. SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD upgrade: Hi all. I have a six year old Dell Studio 1747 laptop; which is still performing great. The only problem I've had with it was design flaw incorporating the on/off switch in the hinge. Anyways I digress. I have a 240GB SSD on order and plan on replacing the 500GB hard drive;...