Windows 10: Problems using a Windows 10 Activation key after HD crash

Discus and support Problems using a Windows 10 Activation key after HD crash in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So here goes the story. A few months back my home workstation crashed due to, most likely, an electrical problem. This had already happened a year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SamRD, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SamRD Win User

Problems using a Windows 10 Activation key after HD crash

So here goes the story.

A few months back my home workstation crashed due to, most likely, an electrical problem. This had already happened a year and something ago; I would switch off the PC, then switch it on, and get a subsequent crash while loading Windows. However this time I was unable to fix the problem myself and so I took it to a repair store. They fixed it and reinstalled Windows 10, but when I got home I found that the activated license (as may be expected) was none of the ones I had rightfully purchased (both online, so easily checkable). I tried a number of times to re-activate my previous license with the methods I will discuss below with no success, but since nothing seemed out of the ordinary as for updates, etc. , I decided to ignore it and keep working as usual. However, today I got a warning that 'my license would expire soon', and so I have gotten back to try and fix the issue to avoid future and imminent problems, as clearly what they did was not clean, and they did not notify me in advance of what they were going to do.

I have tried a number of times to change the product key to they one I had purchased for this workstation, but I keep getting the error that the key 'doesn't work' (error code is 0xc004f050, https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028124/windows-10-activation-error-0xc004f050), and so I assume there must be a problem related with my license being 'hung' somehow after my HD crashed, for which I don't find a specific solution in any of the help pages (e.g., https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change ; https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/12440/windows-10-activate , etc.). My license was not linked with my Microsoft account, and so I have tried to link the current license with my account (as described in the first drop-down menu in the first support link) just to test...though I assume this would be done with the current license which is not my license, so I don't think it would be of use. Furthermore, I don't even have the option to 'Add an account' in my Activation page as described in Step 3 of the first support link, which is really what is preventing me from trying.

Having said so, are there any suggestions as how may I proceed or what may I try to re-activate my originally purchased license in my workstation? Please do not hesitate to ask me for any relevant information which may help to solve the issue. Thanks in advance to everyone sharing their thoughts and have a great day!

P.S.: I will definitely link soon the license in my laptop to my account...

:)

SamRD, Jun 22, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 22, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Jun 22, 2019
  4. Flow Win User

Windows 10 formatting ?

We upgraded windows 7 to 10. Many crashes and errors after that. So a format and clean install of windows 10. Activated automatically. Zero issues and no more crashes etc etc.
    So I'm inclined to say to just go for it. And if a problem, then use your windows 7 key.

Thema:

1. Problems using a Windows 10 Activation key after HD crash - Similar Threads - Problems using Activation

2. Windows 10 activation key problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 activation key problems: So I have two PCs, one I built and installed windows 10 on that it NOT activated yet. I have an old PC with windows 10 on it. I am trying to put the old activation key into the new PC.I no longer have the actual activation key thing itself, however I was able to find the key...
  3. Windows 10 activation key problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 activation key problems: So I have two PCs, one I built and installed windows 10 on that it NOT activated yet. I have an old PC with windows 10 on it. I am trying to put the old activation key into the new PC.I no longer have the actual activation key thing itself, however I was able to find the key...
  4. Windows not activated after new HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not activated after new HD: I recently tried to refurbish an old PC that was running Win10 Enterprise by replacing the HD with a SSD, then installing Win10 from scratch using a USB boot thumb drive. I chose Windows 10 Home when presented with the choice, as I plan to give that PC to my wife and don't...
  5. Windows not activated after new HD

Windows not activated after new HD: I recently tried to refurbish an old PC that was running Win10 Enterprise by replacing the HD with a SSD, then installing Win10 from scratch using a USB boot thumb drive. I chose Windows 10 Home when presented with the choice, as I plan to give that PC to my wife and don't...
  6. Windows not activated after new HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows load after HD crash. Need license key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows load after HD crash. Need license key: I have an HP h9-1350 original owner. This was a Windows 7 or 8 operating system that was upgraded to Windows 10.My hard drive crashed yesterday and is not accessible. I made no backup or rescue disk or otherwise. I know its the drive because I borrowed an SSD drive preloaded...
  8. Windows load after HD crash. Need license key

Windows load after HD crash. Need license key: I have an HP h9-1350 original owner. This was a Windows 7 or 8 operating system that was upgraded to Windows 10.My hard drive crashed yesterday and is not accessible. I made no backup or rescue disk or otherwise. I know its the drive because I borrowed an SSD drive preloaded...
  9. Windows load after HD crash. Need license key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Windows activation after HD wipe

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after HD wipe: Hello fellow forum posters, I have a laptop that requires a complete HD wipe. It has a valid, activated version of Windows 10 Home. I'm not sure if there is a way to keep it activated. So I would not have to pay the $60 to re-activate Windows. So, is it possible to do this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after crash format and use Windows 10 License key problem