Windows 10: Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer

Discus and support Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer is running slowly; taking about 2 minutes to start up, often running slowly when typing.... I put an older image on a second hard drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer

My computer is running slowly; taking about 2 minutes to start up, often running slowly when typing....

I put an older image on a second hard drive, and it runs fine. However, Word documents, emails, Firefox , etc. do not have current data. I wanted to copy current info from the corrupted drive to the other, but the second drive is not recognized. I tried connecting it as the second internal hard drive and using an external USB hard drive enclosure without success. I only seem to have one choice, copy to a USB drive, exchange drives in the computer, and then copy from the USB drive back to the computer, a slow process.

Is there a means of using both drives? Install Win 10 on two hard disks, same computer has a somewhat similar situation, with one answer saying no, and another answer implying the first answer is wrong.

:)

Jim8080, Aug 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 in two disks

I have two physical SATA disks. I have two Windows 10 installations with each one in the hard drives. When I installed the Win10 in the other disk (DProblems using two win10 hard drives on same computer :), it is OK with the installation. But when the first Win10 hard drive (CProblems using two win10 hard drives on same computer :) boots, the other (DProblems using two win10 hard drives on same computer :) has errors
    and repair all the time. Also the other Win10 in D: does not boot at all with errors.

The question is: can I have a PC with two disks and two versions of Windows 10 at the same time? The one Win10 in C: is for games and the one Win10 in D: is for work.

Thank you in advance

Aris

ArisKyranas, Aug 19, 2017
  3. i use two drives for same computer will i be able to get win10 on both drives??

i use two drives for same computer will i be able to get win10 on both drives?? or what do i do

im disabled and do not use my computer for any business whatsoever. i got my win10 app on one drive already but now i need it on both . what do i do ?? i have a laptop and cannot install/use two drives at once

cindylouwall, Aug 19, 2017
  4. Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer

When you connect your drive internally does the drive show in Disk Management?

(Windows key + X, Disk Management)

If it does show then it needs to have a drive letter assigned. Right click on drive in Disk management, assign a letter.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 19, 2017
  5. Jim8080 Win User
    Thanks for jogging my memory. Disk Management indicates the drive is offline due to a signature collision. If I remember correctly, I can right click Disk 1 and select Online and new drive letters will be assigned to Disk 1, but to be on the safe side, I am going to make an image file of the main drive. Hours are required, so will do so overnight.

Jim

Jim8080, Aug 20, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Your PC boot up may be slow if that second W10 drive has an active partition. Set any partitions on the second drive to inactive if you don't need to boot from that drive. You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to do this.

Steve C, Aug 20, 2017
  7. Jim8080 Win User
    Problem solved!

I right-clicked disk 1 and selected Online. New drive letters were assigned to disk 1, and File Explorer lists both drives. Actually, I use Directory Opus, which is roughly File Explorer on steroids.

Steve C: Thanks for the tip, but don't think it would help. I needed to set the second drive to Active (using Disk Management) before I could access it.
    I am going to check out the Mini Partition Tool for future use.

Jim

Jim8080, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer

1. Problems using two win10 hard drives on same computer - Similar Threads - Problems using win10

2. Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time: Hello, I have a two terabyte external drive for games and a five terabyte external drive for various other projects. For a while I had them both plugged in but I decided I wanted to organize the cords going into my usb extender, they haven't been the same since. Here is what...
  3. Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time: Hello, I have a two terabyte external drive for games and a five terabyte external drive for various other projects. For a while I had them both plugged in but I decided I wanted to organize the cords going into my usb extender, they haven't been the same since. Here is what...
  4. Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer hard drive? Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer hard drive? Problems: I have looked on multiple sites for solutions but I am being tag teamed by multiple problems including Srt.TrailTxt aka automatic repair loop is the main one then from the left corner comes Write Protection to make sure I cannot use the ChkDsk command to fix it OK annoying...
  6. Using two printers on same computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using two printers on same computer.: Why does it take sooo long to remove the first print job and start the second? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-two-printers-on-same-computer/8d931ef8-2534-4c7a-aa8d-9538eb03cc33
  7. two hard drives boot problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives boot problem: I have 1 250gb ssd drive with windows 7 and 1 500gb ssd drive with windows 10. Both boot up ok on their own, but if I connect both together screen shows attempting to repair drive c: then blue screen attempting repairs then failed to repair with no error code. Any ideas...
  8. Using two Windows 10 on the same computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using two Windows 10 on the same computer: Hello, I have an SSD and an HDD both have a Windows 10 in them. For a whilelike five months I was using both of the Windows without any problem, but now when I connect both of the disks to the computer, it boots from SSD but opens very slow or doesn't open. When the computer...
  9. Can Win10 and WinXP run on same hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can Win10 and WinXP run on same hard drive: Can I — and how do I— install Win10 without losing WinXP now running flawlessly on my desktop ? I have held back on the upgrade to Won10 because I have LOTUS SmartSuite that runing perfectly in WinXP and, until I know that it works also with Win10, I do not want to risk...
  10. Swapping hard drives between two computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...