Windows 10: Problems using Windows Explorer

Discus and support Problems using Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks, I am running Windows 10 and have an issue with Windows Explorer. First, whenever I open a folder, it takes a long time (endless, it seems)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TrainGuyJoe, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Problems using Windows Explorer

Hi folks,

I am running Windows 10 and have an issue with Windows Explorer. First, whenever I open a folder, it takes a long time (endless, it seems) for the icons to load their thumbnails (that green bar that rolls across the top keeps going and going).

But the main issue is this: After selecting a file, when I click the "Home" tab in order to either move or copy a file or folder, Windows Explorer freezes and I get the "Not Responding" message at the top.

This only happens under my admin account on the PC. Explorer operates as normal on the Guest account, as well as the account of the 2nd user of this PC.

Thanks to this issue, I can not move or copy any files that need to have those actions done.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on? This issue just started out of the blue last night.

Thanks in advance.

:)

TrainGuyJoe, Aug 17, 2019

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 17, 2019
  4. jsmin Win User

Problems using Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Problems using Windows Explorer

1. Problems using Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Problems using Explorer

2. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad: I'm using windows 10 pro and l have noticed that I can no longer scroll "in" the windows explorer window. The only way to scroll is to put the mouse pointer over the scroll bar, then I'm able to scroll up and down but its inconvenient. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN...
  3. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad: I'm using windows 10 pro and l have noticed that I can no longer scroll "in" the windows explorer window. The only way to scroll is to put the mouse pointer over the scroll bar, then I'm able to scroll up and down but its inconvenient. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN...
  4. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. problem on windows explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem on windows explorer: hiI have a very strange phenomenon in win 11 In many cases mostly in music folders. The window opens and displays a list of files, then the files start to disappear for me one after the other until it reaches the end of the list and then all the files are shown to me again....
  6. Windows Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer problem: Windows 10 is not saving my folder settings like location, size, icons, etc. I've tried all the things suggested on line view settings within folders, some registry tweaks and nothing works. I'm almost certain it's related to registry settings controlling these things, but...
  7. windows explorer problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows explorer problem: hello, I have this problem on my pc that when I login my screen is black with a cursor and I only waited untill its fixed, but I have thins problem with explorer that windows explorer just stops working whenever I right click any file what should I do submitted by...
  8. memory card use problem - will not show in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    memory card use problem - will not show in Windows Explorer: I know this problem has been raised before and I've tried all the suggested remedies to no avail. The cards show in Disk Management with a drive letter assigned but not in Windows Explorer. I have looked at the hide attribute for empty drives and it is unchecked. I have...
  9. Problem with Windows Explorer last used folder...

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Windows Explorer last used folder...: I download files and images all the time from a web browser but it always defaults to the "save to" folder in Chrome. Chrome will not except an empty field in the settings “save to” field. Even when ask where to save files to is checked. My problem is that I am always...
  10. Windows Explorer Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Problem: [img] Windows Explorer keeps unresponding to its icon in Taskbar. I open WinExpl and it works fine. Then I switch to, say, Google Chrome and that works fine too. When I want to return to WinExpl, I click its icon in the taskbar but WinExpl will not maximize. It does not...