Windows 10: Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

Discus and support Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a custom built PC (don't know if that matters) with:Windows 10 ProVersion 1809Build 17763.864 And I am having troubles viewing image thumbnails... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Rocket_Bear12, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

I have a custom built PC (don't know if that matters) with:Windows 10 ProVersion 1809Build 17763.864

And I am having troubles viewing image thumbnails in the windows file explorer; specifically of .CR2 files. I can view the thumbnails of .DNG files and all the standard formats with no issue.

According to some forums, I have read that Win10 no longer supports raw formats, and that you need a third party to view them. But I know of at least 2 other people with Win10, that does not have the same issue as me. OS specs from one of them:Windows 10 HomeVersion 10.0.18362Build 18362

The camera that I use is a Canon EOS 800D (Rebel T7i for americans). A friend of mine has a Canon 80D and also uses Windows 10, but he has no problem viewing CR2 thumbnails in his file explorer.

submitted by /u/Rocket_Bear12
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Rocket_Bear12, Dec 3, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Explorer Thumbnail View and 7D Mark II RAW Files

If you are using Adobe Products, have you tried using Adobe Bridge as a File Explorer when you want to view thumbnails of RAW images. It is the preferred file explorer for all Adobe Products

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Windows Explorer Thumbnail View and 7D Mark II RAW Files

I get generic thumbnails when I view a folder full of RAW files from the 7D Mark II. Is there a fix? I use Irfanview as a general file viewer and Adobe Camera RAW to open files in PhotoShop,
    but I seriously miss the ability to find a specific photo quickly in Windows Explorer.

As this issue has not been resolved in Windows 10, I am reposting in this forum. I find it extremely disappointing that a year after the camera's release, Microsoft has failed to step up and support a major Canon DSLR - the 7D Mark II. Apple made the necessary
    updates to their OS within a couple months of the release of the 7D Mark II.

More than one user has verified that the 7D Mark II thumbnail view in Windows Explorer issue has not been resolved in Windows 10. I will also confirm that this issue also remains in Windows 8.1 (see original 8.1 forum post below):

I am running latest version of PhotoShop CC on Windows 8.1 Toshiba laptop. Prior to purchasing my Canon 7D Mark II, I could view Canon RAW files as photo thumbnails in Windows
    Explorer. Since upgrading cameras, I get generic thumbnails when I view a folder full of RAW files from the 7D Mark II. Is there a fix? I use Irfanview as a general file viewer and Adobe Camera RAW to open files in PhotoShop, but I seriously miss the ability
    to find a specific photo quickly in Windows Explorer.

The 8.1 forum post regarding this issue is still open and unresolved. Microsoft has not responded to it in several months. It would be very helpful if Canon DSLR owners would take a few moments to add their voice to this issue. Microsoft seems to have forgotten
    about us and I need your help reminding them that there are quite a few Canon photographers.

billyray1usa, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

Viewing RAW files thumbnail files in W10

I am sorry but I don't think you understand the problem I have highlighted.

I am a semi pro photographer and I take images as RAW files. These files are Canon CR2 files and up until changing to Windows 10 I have been able to see thumbnails of the actual images in Windows Photo Viewer and Windows Explorer.

This is no longer the case with Windows 10 and to put it mildly, is very annoying. I am not now able to review RAW images in either of the above and when working through 3-400 images this is impossible.

I cannot imagine that I am the only person in the whole world of Windows that has this problem and so I would be grateful for a solution - and quickly please...............

DuncanAndrews, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

1. Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer - Similar Threads - Problems viewing thumbnails

2. How do I view the thumbnails for these RAW images? I tried using a codec from Microsoft but...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I view the thumbnails for these RAW images? I tried using a codec from Microsoft but...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jonathannn096 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxpjbk/how_do_i_view_the_thumbnails_for_these_raw_images/
  3. Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer: In some previous build (earlier builds of 1809 worked) I was able to see thumbnails for JPGs and PNGs at even the smallest icon sizes in File Explorer. Since I updated to the latest 1809, and then subsequently 1903, only perfectly square images show thumbnails. Non-square...
  4. Problem on image thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem on image thumbnails: Hi, I have W10 updated to may update and last patches. I noticed a small bug. If I visualize a folder with images with the "very large icons" layout, a very large white frame appears around each image. See the following image. [ATTACH] Scrolling down and coming back up,...
  5. Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Viewing Olympus Raw photo files: I am running windows 10 home, version 1803 and can't view my raw photos in Photo. I have tried to download the the codec but one doesn't appear to exist for W10. I want to be able to open my raw photos without going to my olympus view. How can this be done. This has been...
  6. Unable to View raw images on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to View raw images on Windows 10: hi. I have a Canon 6d Markii which uses .CR2 RAW files I am wondering why as October 7, 2018 I still can't view RAW files on Windows 10, Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks Old title: Still cant view raw image on windows 10...
  7. Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos: Hi. I'm an amateur photographer and I shoot all my images in RAW. When viewing them via Photos it loads the image but then changes after a few seconds. The brightness, contrast, and colours will change. I don't want it doing this, not only does it slow down browsing...
  8. Image view problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Image view problem: Hi All, I want see Image when i open any images folder, but i am seeing only icons of the image, what is the reason, and how can resolve it, please help me, after upgrading to windows 10 i am facing this issue. i have attached screen shot also, there you can understand my...
  9. Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Previews for images (thumbnails) are gone in explorer.: All of a my preview for my images are gone... I went to Google and looked up some possible solutions. In explorer under view/options under View "Always show icons never thumbnails" is unchecked. I also tried to choose "Restore Defaults" from there as well with no luck....
  10. Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer: I have this issue, where when I go to a folder to look at a file, filename.ts (a raw video created with Colossus Capture card), the file doesn't thumbnail, I usually have two files per folder. This started happening back when I was with 7, not sure why but it just started...