Windows 10: Problems with 2nd NVME drive

Discus and support Problems with 2nd NVME drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am building a new system to dual boot, I have installed both operating systems on different drives, Linux on one of the NVME drives and Windows ver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shag00, Nov 30, 2019.

1. shag00 Win User

Problems with 2nd NVME drive

I am building a new system to dual boot, I have installed both operating systems on different drives, Linux on one of the NVME drives and Windows ver 1909 on a SATA SSD.

IN BIOS/UEFI I always see both NVME drives but when logging into Windows it sometimes sees both drives and sometimes only one of them. It always sees the NVME mounted in the M1 slot which is the SSD that contains the Linux operating system. The drive it sometimes sees is formatted to NTFS and has been initialised and allocated a drive letter.

My question is why does this 2nd NVME drive sometimes appear in Disk Management and Windows Explorer and at other times not appear? The drive never appears in one and not the other, it's either in both or neither.

Equipment:
    MB MSI MEG X570 Ace
    NVME 2 x 2GB Sabrent
    SSD 120GB Sandisk
    Graphics MSI GTX 1080

:)

shag00, Nov 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Problems with 2nd NVME drive

2nd Drive Files not Showing in Quick search

Hi all,

Background: I'm running Windows 10, anniversary update; with two physical drives, each also shown as a logical volume (C and D).

Issue: When searching from the Start menu, files on my C drive show up, however the ones on D do not.

Troubleshooting I have done so far:

• Verify that the 2nd Drive (D) has indexing enabled
    • Verify that the folders on the drive also have indexing enabled
    • Rebuild index
    • The files DO appear when searching the 2nd drive via Windows Explorer, but NOT through the start search
    Is this a known issue, and what steps can I take to resolve this?

Teknophile, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Problems with 2nd NVME drive

1. Problems with 2nd NVME drive - Similar Threads - Problems 2nd NVME

2. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  3. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  4. 2nd monitor problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd monitor problem: I have my laptop XPS 15 connected to LG ultragear monitor. All was well and fine at the beginning when it came to display options duplicate these displays, extend these displays, show only on 1, show only on 2.I primarily use the extended display option. Earlier, I needed the...
  5. 2nd nvme not seen in windows 10 but appears in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd nvme not seen in windows 10 but appears in BIOS: I want to add a new Samsung 970 Evo 2tb m.2 nvme to a pc that already has a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB m.2 nvme as its boot drive. the new nvme is seen in bios but does not show up in Device Manager or Disk Management. i saw another post where a user had to reinstall windows 10...
  6. Nvme drive disappered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nvme drive disappered: Hi everyone thanks for reading my endeavors. So a few days ago I was overclocking my ram and had a crash on start up and got error code0xc000000f. I did some research and just decided to reinstall windows using an ISO. Ever since I reinstalled windows my NVMe drive...
  7. Help! 2nd hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! 2nd hard drive problem: When my pc was still windows 7 my 2nd hard drive and its partition titled "my shit" was fully accessible and its where i safely kept my personal photos and videos from the last 15 years. My PC forcably swapped to windows 10 and my unobservent ass didn't even notice "my shit"...
  8. Transfer to NVME drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer to NVME drive?: I just got a new Western Digital NVME drive. Never had one before. Figure it good time to get one since new consoles have them. It's the SN750 which is a pretty good one. Currently have a normal Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD and a HDD. OS and games are on the SSD. Random shit on...
  9. Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?: Hi I ran a hyper-v vm this morning and I tried to add a physical drive which I do regularly as I need to access the data on it. Up until today, that data has always been on an SSD but I recently moved all that data onto a new NVMe drive. The first time I tried, I added it...
  10. Boot problems on a nvme samsung 970Evo drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot problems on a nvme samsung 970Evo drive: Greetings, I have an equiry for boot error on my nvme drive , and how I solve it but still have boot problems again. 1) Motherboard MSI x470 Gaming Carbon Pro 2) The Boot drive is an Nvme Samsung 970evo 3) cpu is ryzen 5 2600 4) Ram is dominator platinium ddr4 3200...