Windows 10: Problems with activating windows

Discus and support Problems with activating windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi @, in the old W7 days recreating the licencing file was a relatively simple operation rename token.dat file on my >>Insider<< comp the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cerawy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Superfly Win User

Problems with activating windows

Since Win 8.1 it gets re-written from a hashed copy (not quite sure how as I don't see it in WinSxS) if changed. It's thus protected.

Both the tokens.dat files in Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0 (pkey activated) as well as ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC (MS Store/digital licence activation)

Superfly, Nov 9, 2017
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Why are you using the built-in Administrator account? That account should be left disabled, without a password, in case you really need it for an emergency use. You should be using either a local account with administrator privileges, or a MS account login with Administrator privileges.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    There is another possibility. It is possible by playing with Group Policies to make all administrator accounts behave as if they are the Administrator (and see the error 'can run this with the built-in Administrator') as Kari explained on another case....

Kari's answer was...

.App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.
    Made a boo-boo - now can't run Sticky Notes

4. Cerawy Win User

Is it possible to downgrade the key from pro to home?

I really do not want to reinstall windows and start all over again.

Cerawy, Nov 20, 2017
  5. Cerawy Win User
    Why should the built-in administrator account be left disabled? I have used it for years without problems.

P.S I can't create a new user because windows says MMC could not create the snap-in. I have searched MS solutions for an answer but they didn't give any that works.

Also, one more thing. I have W10 on my USB flash drive for installation. Is there a way I can make sure that the installation only contains the version of windows that my key works with?

Cerawy, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Cerawy Win User
    I just tried formatting my usb flash drive and downloading the media creation tool again. Windows asks me to install windows 10 home edition, and my key only works for pro. I dont see any options to change it. I dont think reinstalling windows is going to help if windows keeps installing the wrong version.

Cerawy, Jan 7, 2018
  7. Bat 1 Win User
    Not AFAIK but if you remove the ei.cfg it should let you choose between Home and Pro. ? Wait or is it you'd need to put in a Pro ei.cfg ?? I need more sleep *Sad

Bat 1, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Yes, ei.cfg is the key to bypassing the auto-detect of a 'Home' key in the PC's firmware. See:
    Windows 10 never asks for a key during install

9. cereberus Win User
    Ei.cfg just needs two lines

[CHANNEL]
    RETAIL

to select any edition.

cereberus, Jan 7, 2018
  10. Cerawy Win User
    I dont see ei.cfg anywhere in the sources folder.

Cerawy, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Cerawy Win User
    I just tried:

typing [PID]
    Value=(serial key)

as well as creating ei.cfg and typing

[CHANNEL]
    RETAIL

Windows still asks me to installt windows 10 home..

Cerawy, Jan 11, 2018
  12. Bat 1 Win User
    To get past the embedded key in my BIOS and install Pro I use:
    [Channel]
    _Default

[VL]

Bat 1, Jan 11, 2018
  13. Bat 1 Win User

Open Notepad and copy and paste what I posted. Save as File name: ei.cfg Type: all files and save somewhere, I just place on desktop. Copy and paste the ei.cfg into the source folder on your USB install media

Bat 1, Jan 11, 2018
  14. Cerawy Win User
    Just tried it, windows still insists on installing windows 10 home.. it skips the part where you can choose before i get a chance to click on anything. I have also tried changing the key, windows asks me if i want to upgrade the version, i click yes, windows hangs at 0% then says there was an error and i have to check my internet, which is working.. theres zero corporation from windows at this point

Cerawy, Jan 12, 2018
  15. Cerawy Win User
    How do i downgrade my pro key to home? That would help me install windows. I don't need the pro features anyway.

Cerawy, Jan 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with activating windows - Similar Threads - Problems activating

2. Problem with activating windows with no wifi but ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with activating windows with no wifi but ethernet: i bought a pc that has windows activation key inside its BIOS, and i was told that itll activate once i connect to the internet. But the issue is that i dont have a WiFi adapter and only Ethernet connected to my pc, and once i go to the activation panel it tells me that i...
  3. Problem with activating windows with no wifi but ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with activating windows with no wifi but ethernet: i bought a pc that has windows activation key inside its BIOS, and i was told that itll activate once i connect to the internet. But the issue is that i dont have a WiFi adapter and only Ethernet connected to my pc, and once i go to the activation panel it tells me that i...
  4. Activation of windows 10 pro problem error code 0x803fa067

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of windows 10 pro problem error code 0x803fa067: please check and solve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-of-windows-10-pro-problem-error-code/b6de1623-fd5e-453c-8df3-d3653cf0dafa
  5. Activation of windows 10 pro problem error code 0x803fa067

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of windows 10 pro problem error code 0x803fa067: please check and solve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-of-windows-10-pro-problem-error-code/b6de1623-fd5e-453c-8df3-d3653cf0dafa
  6. Activation of windows 10 pro problem error code 0x803fa067

7. Windows and MS Office activation problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows and MS Office activation problem: After installing the latest update, my Windows 11 is showing a notification to activate it. I have tried troubleshooting, but it has not resolved the issue. Additionally, my Microsoft Office keeps crashing repeatedly. I attempted to reinstall it, but it still does not work....
  8. Windows and MS Office activation problem

Windows and MS Office activation problem: After installing the latest update, my Windows 11 is showing a notification to activate it. I have tried troubleshooting, but it has not resolved the issue. Additionally, my Microsoft Office keeps crashing repeatedly. I attempted to reinstall it, but it still does not work....
  9. Activation Problem for windows 11 Error code: 0xC004F074

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation Problem for windows 11 Error code: 0xC004F074: Error code: 0xC004F074I bought an hp PC 6 months ago with genuine windows 11 pre-installed. However, after 6-months of trouble-free use, I have got the following message in red color in Settings->System->Activation.we cant activate windows on this device as we cant connect to...
  10. Activation Problem for windows 11 Error code: 0xC004F074

Activation Problem for windows 11 Error code: 0xC004F074: Error code: 0xC004F074I bought an hp PC 6 months ago with genuine windows 11 pre-installed. However, after 6-months of trouble-free use, I have got the following message in red color in Settings->System->Activation.we cant activate windows on this device as we cant connect to...