Windows 10: Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

Discus and support Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell laptop went on the fritz Thursday. It would not charge from the power cable. The power cable works just fine, the green light is on.....all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RaymondWindoz10, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

My Dell laptop went on the fritz Thursday.
    It would not charge from the power cable.

The power cable works just fine, the green light is on.....all good.

I thought it might be the AC power jack so I removed the back of the laptop and checked to see if it was tight or if anything looked unusual. ..........all good there.

So, I carried it to a local repair guy with a good reputation on Yelp and he told me the motherboard had a short circuit, and because I only paid $300-$350 (on Sale ) for it new, it would not be cost effective to have it replaced.

So.......I will shop around for a new one this week.

I removed the HD, fan and 8GB RAM in case I can use them in the future.

---------

I pulled my old HP laptop ( bought 3 years ago ) off the shelf. It has not been used since Xmas 2017. It took me 6,8 hours to download updates and change a few settings.

I ran CCleaner, Avast, Defender and Malwarebytes.

I downloaded 5,6 HP updates (drivers) but I still have 20 or so left to go.

In spite of the ones I downloaded, they did not show up on a download list from HP and the numbers did not reduce themselves from the number I had to download.

When I go to yahoo to see my mail, I cannot SEND emails and I can't delete any of them.
    If I write a draft to save for later, it won't save.

I have started and restarted several times to refresh.

If I use my smartphone to go to yahoo, everything is fine.
    ----------

Why aren't my updates loading and disappearing off the list ?
    What is the problem with yahoo ? I don't have any problems with GMAIL.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

:)

RaymondWindoz10, Jun 1, 2019
  2. martian Win User

Pull-down or Drop-down Menu?

I decided to uninstall Firefox after the entries in the Favorites doubled.
    (Example: the Yahoo Mail sign-in page appears twice in the list. Deleting
    one also deletes the other.)

I have been looking for browsers with pull-down or drop-down menus but
    could only find Chrome-styled browsers (without pull-down or drop-down menus).

Would anyone suggest an old style browser?

TIA.

martian, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Jun 1, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

n-ster, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

1. Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf - Similar Threads - Problems old laptop

2. Laptop hangs while power is pulled in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop hangs while power is pulled in: Hello, I am facing a problem with my hp pavillion laptop, whenever I plug in the power the laptop starts hanging and crashing. My old adaptor had broken and after that I bought a new one with same power rating but still my pc keeps crashing after power is plugged in. What...
  3. Laptop hangs while power is pulled in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop hangs while power is pulled in: Hello, I am facing a problem with my hp pavillion laptop, whenever I plug in the power the laptop starts hanging and crashing. My old adaptor had broken and after that I bought a new one with same power rating but still my pc keeps crashing after power is plugged in. What...
  4. Laptop hangs while power is pulled in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Old laptop USB3.0 driver problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop USB3.0 driver problem: My laptop is a Lenovo M490. At present, after using Windows 10 and 11 systems in fact, I have been using Windows 10 and 11 systems since Windows 10 was released, at that time, I found that the USB3.0 interface was inserted into the USB3.0 Devices such as U disks are often...
  6. Old laptop USB3.0 driver problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old laptop USB3.0 driver problem: My laptop is a Lenovo M490. At present, after using Windows 10 and 11 systems in fact, I have been using Windows 10 and 11 systems since Windows 10 was released, at that time, I found that the USB3.0 interface was inserted into the USB3.0 Devices such as U disks are often...
  7. Question about a standard off the shelf Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about a standard off the shelf Windows 10 laptop: If I have a standard dell windows 10 laptop that has both wifi and ethernet, is it possible to be connected to each at the same time and dictate a different network for each? Let's say for the wifi the network is a 192.168.1.x vlan and the ethernet is a 192.168.3.x vlan...is...
  8. new off the shelf laptop windows 10 nothing but trouble , my acer aspire crashed when...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    new off the shelf laptop windows 10 nothing but trouble , my acer aspire crashed when...: Please I need help this has cost me so much money nothing but trouble any time I try something cant get anything done, my Acer Aspire locked me out after I updated to windows 10 it could not be saved, it caused it to crash. I got a new laptop Windows 10 is a nightmare i can't...
  9. Is a discount motherboard as good as a top shelf board

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is a discount motherboard as good as a top shelf board: A friend found an unopened motherboard in a back closet and is selling it for $25. is this good enough for a basic system for a shut in? I asked him what board it was and he told me it was in a pizza sized box, computer tech is not his forte' 153496
  10. Is a discount motherboard as good as a top shelf board

in Windows 10 Support
    Is a discount motherboard as good as a top shelf board: A friend found an unopened motherboard in a back closet and is selling it for $25. is this good enough for a basic system for a shut in? I asked him what board it was and he told me it was in a pizza sized box, computer tech is not his forte' 153496