Windows 10: Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

Discus and support Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell laptop went on the fritz Thursday. It would not charge from the power cable. The power cable works just fine, the green light is on.....all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RaymondWindoz10, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

My Dell laptop went on the fritz Thursday.
    It would not charge from the power cable.

The power cable works just fine, the green light is on.....all good.

I thought it might be the AC power jack so I removed the back of the laptop and checked to see if it was tight or if anything looked unusual. ..........all good there.

So, I carried it to a local repair guy with a good reputation on Yelp and he told me the motherboard had a short circuit, and because I only paid $300-$350 (on Sale ) for it new, it would not be cost effective to have it replaced.

So.......I will shop around for a new one this week.

I removed the HD, fan and 8GB RAM in case I can use them in the future.

---------

I pulled my old HP laptop ( bought 3 years ago ) off the shelf. It has not been used since Xmas 2017. It took me 6,8 hours to download updates and change a few settings.

I ran CCleaner, Avast, Defender and Malwarebytes.

I downloaded 5,6 HP updates (drivers) but I still have 20 or so left to go.

In spite of the ones I downloaded, they did not show up on a download list from HP and the numbers did not reduce themselves from the number I had to download.

When I go to yahoo to see my mail, I cannot SEND emails and I can't delete any of them.
    If I write a draft to save for later, it won't save.

I have started and restarted several times to refresh.

If I use my smartphone to go to yahoo, everything is fine.
    ----------

Why aren't my updates loading and disappearing off the list ?
    What is the problem with yahoo ? I don't have any problems with GMAIL.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

:)

RaymondWindoz10, Jun 1, 2019
  2. martian Win User

Pull-down or Drop-down Menu?

I decided to uninstall Firefox after the entries in the Favorites doubled.
    (Example: the Yahoo Mail sign-in page appears twice in the list. Deleting
    one also deletes the other.)

I have been looking for browsers with pull-down or drop-down menus but
    could only find Chrome-styled browsers (without pull-down or drop-down menus).

Would anyone suggest an old style browser?

TIA.

martian, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Jun 1, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

n-ster, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf

1. Problems with an old laptop I pulled off the shelf - Similar Threads - Problems old laptop

2. Using An Old Laptop For Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using An Old Laptop For Backup: Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium. Here is the current situation: 1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home 2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop What are the options to use the old laptop...
  3. Added SSD to Old Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Added SSD to Old Laptop: I purchased an Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB SSD and installed it in my old ASUS X53U laptop. Cloning the drive was very straightforward and it boots up nicely and seems to be working ok but I have a couple of questions. The BIOS reports LEGACY BIOS but UEFI is an option....
  4. Old program problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Old program problem: Hello! After i updated my pc to windows 10 from windows 8.1 i have a problem with a old program. It run, but when i minimalize the program and want to enter back i need to wait 8-10seconds. At compatibility the program work on windows xp (service pack 2) and works fain...
  5. Updates on old laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updates on old laptop: I have an old Gateway laptop computer, see specification below, that I still use as a reserve machine having suffered multiple problems with Windows 10 on my everyday machine. Those problems thankfully now seem to have been sorted out. I appreciate that W10 strains the...
  6. Display off - Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display off - Laptop: hey guys hope that it right place to ask: i use Dell laptop with windows 10 on my old pc with was with 8.1 i do right context menu display off but here it's not work. some ideas? 33464
  7. Issue with logging in on to old laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issue with logging in on to old laptop: Here is the deal. Long time ago (6 months or so) I installed windows 10 on my old laptop. Today I accidentally locked my stuff (new laptop, everything) at the office, so decided to go home and use my old laptop for work. However, I have already updated my windows profile with...
  8. Clone old laptop to new Laptop?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone old laptop to new Laptop?: Question: Could I with Data Migration clone my old laptop (win 10 installed & updated), and install it in a new laptop I am thinking of buying? As always your thoughts most appreciated. 54283
  9. Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703: I'm having problems upgrading my old laptop, which was happily running version 1607, to version 1703. Any ideas what I should try next? When I say "old" laptop... it came with XP, but has run Windows 8, 8.1, 10 Preview, and versions of Windows 10 up to 1607. So far I've...
  10. Windows 9: Can Microsoft pull off another miracle?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9: Can Microsoft pull off another miracle?: The executive frantically tapped several different keys on the svelte new laptop he was demonstrating, but nothing happened. The screen didn't change. He paused, started tapping furiously again. Still nothing. "Wait just a second, let me go grab another machine," he said....